Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012

JeffTT is on a distinguished road
Talking Western MA sailing spots

Anyone here from western Massachusetts? Im new to sailing, bought a 70's lightning(sweeeeet) and need to hear of some sweet spots to daysial nice and casual like at first, but then have enough room to let her rip once I get some experience. I was initially thinking of sailing the CT river near Agawam, but currents considered, im thinking a lake might be better to start with. Especially since I dont have a motor on my boat yet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012

JustinB is on a distinguished road
Re: Western MA sailing spots

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can sail in the Quabbin Reservoir as long as you stay a certain distance from the dam/dike. Also a possibility is Lake Champlain up on the VT/NY border. That might be a hike for you though. Oh, and people sail the CT river up in Greenfield upriver of the Turners Falls Dam. They even have some buoy lines so you don't get too close to the dam. Happy sailing!
Old 07-19-2012

KarlP is on a distinguished road

There is a ramp in Tolland State Forest on the Otis Reservoir. The lake is about 3 miles end to end.
Old 07-23-2012

Awesome....thanks!
Old 08-22-2012

BillyOC is on a distinguished road

Took our Zuma out on Brimfield Res. Last saturday. Not huge, but no jetskis etc. A buddy at work recomended Littleville Lake up off Rt. 20 past Russell. I looked it up, nice long body of water with a 10 hp limit for the motor folks. May try to head up there this weekend. Deep too.
Old 09-07-2012

ambianceack is on a distinguished road

Hi JustinB
Where are you in western MA? The DAR in Goshen has a boat ramp, no engines allowed so no wind make sure you have a paddle, we sailed our 14ft oday javelin there lots of fun, the berkshires has Stockbridge Bowl, nice ramp allows outboards, even has a sailing club (no membership available), over by Pittsfield Onota lake. Further North by Wilmington VT is the Harriman Resevoir. We didnt have much fun/luck on th CT rive too much yahoos with their motorboats, scary
good luck
Old 09-08-2012

Where on the ct river did u sail? I hearthe area near the longmeadow yacht club is pretty nice. Ive also been told rhat vreenfield has a decent aection of river.
Old 09-08-2012

As far as the river down by Longmeadow right now, there's hardly any water. Can darn near walk across. Not sure the ramp on the west side is even useable. The DAR suggestion I like though. If todays crazy weather (tornado warnings as I write this) is gone tomorrow, football will go to the DVR and I may go check it out. I've been to the Pioneer Valley Yacht club website,(they are the folks in Longmeadow) and they race too. I'm pretty sure it's members only though.
Old 09-10-2012

Actually called the Quabbin Res. visitors center today. No sailboats.
Old 10-03-2012

halifax57 is on a distinguished road

Lake Buel in Monterey, MA. Lakeville Lake in Lakeville/Salisbury, CT ($10 fee) has a nice launch with docks. Otis Reservoir in Otis is good but they lower the water in the off-season though still accessible and there is a little dock there. Colebrook River Lake is awesome with a great fetch but the water level can vary by 100 feet (yes, that's 100' ... it's on the West Branch of the Farmington River ... huge). I live in Colebrook and the levels are dropped for hurricane season. Lake McDonough in Barkhamsted, CT but they close on Labor Day (what's up with that?). All of these CT lakes are within 15 min of MA border. I have a new (used) 420 and am just starting to explore these lakes from the sailing perspective myself, but have checked out the launches (all good) and have powerboated them for years. Looking forward to checking out some of the WMA lakes mentioned above. Thanks!

Last edited by halifax57; 10-03-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Tags
new to sailing