Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012

Seymore04 is on a distinguished road
Looking for a small boat to learn on

I know this isn't a new thread on here but I figured I would throw out what my needs in a boat would be and see what might fit. First I am 6' about 190lbs. I want a boat that can be single handed as well as rigged and launched alone. I live in Oklahoma so all lake sailing but pretty strong wind that can make things fairly choppy at times. A boat capable of beaching would be nice but not 100% required. Needs to be Car trailer-able or smaller. Also would be nice if my son (9) could ride along with me at times. I want something that will last more than one season as far as enjoyment goes because cost is a factor. I need something to learn on that wont become boring right away and I can sail for a couple seasons before upgrading. Thanks for any insight you can give me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a small boat to learn on

I think that this would be perfect for you. When you outgrow it you will get almost as much as you paid for it because they are extremely popular.
Welcome to the International Lightning Class
dick
Old 07-23-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Flying Scot too.
Old 07-25-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Look for a Catalina 22 swing keel....

Lightweight, inexpensive, easy to rig, most have a trailer, cozy cabin for overnights, cult like following, tons of aftermarket parts, full factory support from Catalina, most likely sell for what you paid for it....list goes on and on.

Here's a really great deal that won't last long:

76 C22 with Trailer $3900

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 07-26-2012

Could the Catalina 22 be towed by a car?
The4 flying scot looks nice, is it beach-able with the draft board up? only issue I can find is i cant seem to find any for sail/
Are all the lightning class wooden? I would really prefer a fiberglass boat for ease of care purposes but thank you to all for the responses
Old 07-26-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Check the bottom of my post for the reason my answer is so broad.

West Wright Potter 15 or 19 - slower but sturdy, very sea worthy
Precision 165 - fast, fixed keel, small, can't beach
Catalina Capri 18-fixed keel, stable, big boat feel, need an SUV to tow, not car
Capri 165-centerboard, fast, not exactly a "Family" boat
Precision 18-keel/centerboard boat, great "all around" boat towable by large car, or small SUV.
Catalina 22-swing keel boat, great "all around" boat that is bigger, need an SUV or pickup to tow.

Going smaller, Hunter 170, Precision 15, or Capri 142. Fast centerboard boats, that are still easy learners. These aren't "family" boats per se' but you'll learn quick.

Those are some popular current production boats that could do the job. Tons of older used boats that might qualify as well, including Hobie, sunbird, puffer, buccaneer, Designers Choice, Flying Scott on the dinghy side... and Venture, MacGregor, Columbia, Rhodes, Seafarer, Hunter, on the larger cruiser side.

By the way, brand loyalty aside, every one of the brands above, have lasted 20+ years for people, so no need to worry about it "lasting" if it is cared for.

Also as far as your 9yo is concerned... we may need to know more about them too... meaning, are they into action sports? Can they swim? How agile are they, and is it THEIR idea to join you, or are you dragging them along hoping they'll like it?

So maybe if we can get an idea of the car you want to tow with... the primary use of the boat (Family sailing, learning, racing, cruising).. Also your preference, speed, day sail, race, etc. maybe we can help you pin this down. Keep in mind if you are willing to commit to "one place to sail" you can dock/moor your boat and get bigger if you can afford the storage rate (rental of a UHaul to pull it out and put it in isn't horribly expensive). Sometimes the larger boats are more forgiving (OK most of the time).
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 07-26-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore04 View Post
Could the Catalina 22 be towed by a car?
Depends on the car.....the C22 rig is around 3500#, boat and trailer. So, you'd need a car that could tow, say, 4500# AND control it. Like a full sized car, or something.....NOT a little Honda, Kia or the like.

Remember...and this is important....many tow ratings on vehicles are a joke. Just because you "can" tow it doesn't mean you "should" tow it. Just about anything will pull it and get it going.....it is FAR MORE IMPORTANT to control the load....stop it....guide it.....use common sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 07-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Depends on the car.....the C22 rig is around 3500#, boat and trailer. So, you'd need a car that could tow, say, 4500# AND control it. Like a full sized car, or something.....NOT a little Honda, Kia or the like.

Remember...and this is important....many tow ratings on vehicles are a joke. Just because you "can" tow it doesn't mean you "should" tow it. Just about anything will pull it and get it going.....it is FAR MORE IMPORTANT to control the load....stop it....guide it.....use common sense.
yeah a c-22 seems a little out of the safe car towing range.
Old 07-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Check the bottom of my post for the reason my answer is so broad.

West Wright Potter 15 or 19 - slower but sturdy, very sea worthy
Precision 165 - fast, fixed keel, small, can't beach
Catalina Capri 18-fixed keel, stable, big boat feel, need an SUV to tow, not car
Capri 165-centerboard, fast, not exactly a "Family" boat
Precision 18-keel/centerboard boat, great "all around" boat towable by large car, or small SUV.
Catalina 22-swing keel boat, great "all around" boat that is bigger, need an SUV or pickup to tow.

Going smaller, Hunter 170, Precision 15, or Capri 142. Fast centerboard boats, that are still easy learners. These aren't "family" boats per se' but you'll learn quick.

Those are some popular current production boats that could do the job. Tons of older used boats that might qualify as well, including Hobie, sunbird, puffer, buccaneer, Designers Choice, Flying Scott on the dinghy side... and Venture, MacGregor, Columbia, Rhodes, Seafarer, Hunter, on the larger cruiser side.

By the way, brand loyalty aside, every one of the brands above, have lasted 20+ years for people, so no need to worry about it "lasting" if it is cared for.

Also as far as your 9yo is concerned... we may need to know more about them too... meaning, are they into action sports? Can they swim? How agile are they, and is it THEIR idea to join you, or are you dragging them along hoping they'll like it?

So maybe if we can get an idea of the car you want to tow with... the primary use of the boat (Family sailing, learning, racing, cruising).. Also your preference, speed, day sail, race, etc. maybe we can help you pin this down. Keep in mind if you are willing to commit to "one place to sail" you can dock/moor your boat and get bigger if you can afford the storage rate (rental of a UHaul to pull it out and put it in isn't horribly expensive). Sometimes the larger boats are more forgiving (OK most of the time).
To answer a few of your questions. The 9yr old is interested not exactly the most active in sports but he is good in water, Agile when he wants to be if he enjoys the activity and wants to do it he can.
Learning on it is most important been more than 10 years since I sailed and that was only a couple of weeks one summer, but I fell in love and am now in a position to learn more. So a somewhat forgiving boat would be good. Speed/racing would be the next on the list after that. Not going to be much of a cruiser because the wife wont sail on anything that small she gets seasick. So my oldest son and me at most and never for more than a few hrs on a go with the ability to pack a meal and some snacks at most.
Quick set up from a trailer is very key, don't want to spend all day setting up and tearing down.
The tow rating on my vehicle is around 1500lbs one reason most of the ballasted boats are out.
I really don't want to dock permanently there are alot of great lakes in Oklahoma and I like to explore.
As far as lasting goes it isn't so much the durability of the boat that concerns me. I'm pretty sure no one is going to recommend a crap boat on here and I enjoy working on things so caring for the boat will be enjoyable when I cant be on the water, it is lasting more than one season as far as skill will go I don't want to grow board with the boat after a couple months of sailing it.
Lastly any boat I buy will be a used one for my first sailboat.
Old 07-26-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I joined sailnet and local sailing club both have been a lot of help. The club because I have been able to crew on other boats like the Flying scott and some larger boats . sailnet because it is open 24-7 I have a flying junior It might be something you wish to look at. They are small and light they have three sails main,jib, spinaker. I would love the flying scott but I have a 4cly. truck towing capcity 1600lbs My 230 lbs of boat and the light weight trailer is all I want on the ramp and some of the hills of ky. The boat ramps in KY have large grades. You may not have that kind of ramp to deal with.

Last edited by Lou452; 07-26-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.