Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012

Ward H is on a distinguished road
Delaware River or Barnegat Bay?

Plan to put my Newport 17 either in a slip at Barnegat Bay or join a sailing club along the Delaware where I can dry dock it.

Club is 45mins from house, no fear of sinking in a slip but I am not sure about sailing conditions on the river. Are they variable with gusts? steady? Are you always fighting the current?

The slip in Barnegat is 1.5 hr driver and is at what looks to be a nice Marina (via internet photos). I know the bay normally has nice sea breezes in the afternoon. I don't have a bilge pump so I wonder if I need one to keep from sinking in the slip.

Bottom is gel coat and I would rather not get into bottom painting.

the slip is 2nm from a house we rent in LBI every Sept so that would be handy also.

I guess my simple question is which has the best sailing conditions, meaning 10kt steady winds?

Anyone have comments or suggestions? Anything pros or cons that I am missing?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Delaware River or Barnegat Bay?

Hi Ward, Welcome to SN!
If your boat is in the water here or the chessy it WILL be slimed overnight just about, if you don't have bottom paint. Bottom paint is a MUST, not an option

Spring and fall are best on the river just like the chessy. Summer is hotter then ever now, and the winds are light to no, again just like the chessy.

A 17 is ok but you could be swamped by big displacement boats with !@#$% for captains.

Jersey shore, they tell me always has some wind.

Any boat in my opinion, that is being left in the water more then a day needs a pump.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Why not do both? My guess is that a boat that is 45 minutes away from home is going to get used more often that one 1.5 hours from home in shorebound traffic.

Sail from Spring to August on the delaware then cut a deal for a slip in sept and october on Barnaget??

Denise knows the Delaware bay..my experience is only transient. I've either had no wind or too much when I've travelled through and the green heads eat me alive.

I do know Barnegat. It has pretty consistent afternoon winds even in summer. They usually arrive by 1:30 pm. Weekdays and during the spring and fall, you'll have the bay to yourself more often than not. Summer weekends are a zoo, and traffic is a bear.

Tough decision.

Last edited by Tempest; 07-26-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: I always spell Barnegat wrong..;-)
Old 07-26-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Nah.. I only know Del Bay enough to get to the C&D. I do want to explore and know how to get into Reedy Island anchorage without hitting that submerged seawall someday/night...

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Where on the Delaware? Bay River NJ, DE or PA.

Barnegat Bay does have reliable winds, shoal water, but always a nice place to go sailing.

Delaware River requires planning your sail around the tidal current, July and August can be really hot with no wind then gusts above 20knots. Spring and Fall offer better sailing conditions, my favorite time on the river is October and November.

Below Wilmington DE the river opens up and usually some wind from the bay making for better sailing.

Below Delaware City DE upper bay weather prevails and windless days are less dominant.

Lower Delaware Bay will have bigger winds, bigger swells and bigger white caps than Barnegat but offers the chance for sailing for 4 or 5 hours without changing tack and less congested than the Delaware River or Barnegat Bay.

If you can trailer, try all locations and see what fits your sailing style.
Old 07-26-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Nah.. I only know Del Bay enough to get to the C&D. I do want to explore and know how to get into Reedy Island anchorage without hitting that submerged seawall someday/night...
I have never sailed on the Delaware Bay but I have looked at it many times from land (I-95 or Amtrak) or the air (final approach to PHL). Honestly, it seems pretty boring: long, straight, high dykes on both sides, no creeks to speak of, only diversions the occasional nuclear power plant or some other industrial facility.

Perhaps there is more to it but at least to me, it looks not very appealing. Nothing like the Chessie...
Old 07-26-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
I have never sailed on the Delaware Bay but I have looked at it many times from land (I-95 or Amtrak) or the air (final approach to PHL). Honestly, it seems pretty boring: long, straight, high dykes on both sides, no creeks to speak of, only diversions the occasional nuclear power plant or some other industrial facility.

Perhaps there is more to it but at least to me, it looks not very appealing. Nothing like the Chessie...
Yes, but....
wmmulvey likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 07-26-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Bred and born in Barnegat and into a family that made their living on the water.; I am partial to Barnegat Bay.

But giving your distance from the Bay I would not even consider keeping a boat there. Weekend traffic in the summer will double or triple your commute time.

Last edited by IronSpinnaker; 07-27-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-26-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Ward,
We have our boat on Barnegat Bay on Forked River now and used to keep it on the Delaware River at G. Winters Marina in Riverside.

Denise was right. You will need bottom paint if you stay in a slip in either location. But you'll need different paint for the river vs. the bay.

They're two VERY different sailing destinations. Currents are strong on the Delaware and we liked sailing on weeknights or early morning on weekends before all the powerboat A$$!!*^#'s came out and started throwing big wakes. It can make for confused wave patterns that might not be fun in a light 17 footer. That said the river during quiet times is really nice. My last sail there was a mild day in late October. Just me an a lot of migrating ducks on the water. Beautiful.

For us the Bay is better sailing. Larger, more varied, more places to sail to and some dock-n-dine locations. More boat traffic on weekends but not nearly as congested as the river can be.

Traffic to the shore is not bad if you're in a mainland marina as we are. We're near the Cherry Hill mall and it takes us an 1:15 door to door. We kept our boat on LBI for two seasons in Beach Haven. That was an 1:30 early morning and could be near two hours once shore traffic got going.

I don't remember the Newport 17 having much in the way of live-aboard accommodations so I'd think you'd get more use out of her on the river. If you're out sailing all day you won't feel like driving home from the shore.

If you have a place on LBI in September you could trailer her down and launch from the ramp at 12th street in Beach Haven. You might also be able to do a 1 month deal with the Beach Haven Yacht Club or one of the marinas up by the light house depending on where you are on the island. From most of the island you'll be sailing in Little Egg Bay which is much shallower than Barnegat Bay. If you're in a marina up by the light house you'll have access to the lower Barnegat bay. You could also talk with Rich at Mariner's marina in Barnegat. When you come off the island make a right on Rt 9 and it's about 15 minutes to Mariner's marina.

Best of luck whichever way you go,
Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 07-26-2012

Ward H is on a distinguished road

Really appreciate the responses.
This is our first season sailing. Been on a lake twice. Variable winds made it hard to figure out what I was doing right and doing wrong.
Spent a week in LoveLadies on LBI 1st week of June. House had a boat dock so we launched in Surf City sailed to LoveLadies and sailed every day at least once. Nice wind most days.
I also did my ASA 101 on the Barnegat Bay out of Bayville. Wasn't a bad drive.

The DR sailing club I am going to look at is the Red Dragon Canoe Club in Edgewater Park. If I have to plan my sailing around the tide and poor odds for good wind, it won't matter if it is closer.

Jim covered most of what I like about the Barnegat Bay. I am visiting Mariners Marina tomorrow. Being on the land side, I hope to cut out a lot of traffic by not having to get on the island. Should be less than 1hr 30 min drive.
I also can take one day off work each week so I plan to sail during the week and skip the maybe skip the weekend traffic.
Jim's right, the N17 isn't really a live aboard boat but big enough to take a nap if needed before the drive home.

Thanks for the suggestions and information. Will let you know which way we go.

Ward