SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   BOSS Sailing School - St Vincent & the Grenadines (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/91208-boss-sailing-school-st-vincent-grenadines.html)

MokaKat 08-21-2012 05:56 PM

BOSS Sailing School - St Vincent & the Grenadines

Has anyone had any experince with the BOSS - Sailing SChool out of St. Vincent? I am considering attending the 'Cruising Catamaran Learn-n-Cruise (Includes ASA 101, 103, 104 & 114)' class this October. I am interested in experiencing staying on a catamaran for the week and getting certified to be able to charter one in the future. I have a lot of boating experince, but not any large cats or offshore. Any comments or concerns?

PantherGirl 09-08-2012 02:39 AM

Re: BOSS Sailing School - St Vincent & the Grenadines

I am considering this course as well. Looks to be the right balance of learning and vacation that we are looking for. Planning for January or February. If you go for it, please post about your experience!

MokaKat 09-13-2012 12:02 PM

Well, I am signed up for the week of October 14th. The instructors are the owners of the 42' cat, so I should get a taste of the life and learn a lot! I will post my experience after I return.

PantherGirl 09-20-2012 06:08 AM

Awesome! Hope you have a blast and looking forward to hearing about it!

Confederado 09-24-2012 05:54 PM

I looked at BOSS but I was cruising in 'net and came across some VERY negative reviews. I can't remember the site but you might want to check around. If nothing else I would be interested in learning how it goes. I'm looking for the same thing.

MokaKat 09-25-2012 11:33 AM

Confederado,
Thanks for you post! I saw a few comments on the internet, but mostly it was from some students that were wanting a hardcore training week. It seems like BOSS treats it like a training class and a vacation in one. For me, I am looking for the certification, but want to enjoy the experience and have some fun too. The agenda has each morning heads down, with the afternoon, sailing and snorkeling, ect. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I'll definitely post my experiences. If you find the site with the comments please share.

MokaKat 10-24-2012 12:56 PM

Well, I can say that I had a great time last week and learned an incredable amount! I was able to obtain certifications in ASA 101, 103, 104, and 114. This was probably not possible, except there were only two students on the boat. Our instructor, Tony, was increadable, taking the time to explain and show us many things. We took turns in executing the different actions needed for each day. We sailed to 4 different islands in the Grenadines, which were beautiful with excellent snorkeling. Everyday we started the day studying, and then taking a test. We then spent some time snorkeling the area, and then we sailed to the next island. We did MOB exercises (many times), and had a great week. We did get caught in a 37 Kt squall on day, but we had reefed early and it was an exciting but calm experience. Everyone helped with the day to day chores, and we enjoyed the week. The trainer Tony, and his wife Nancy (who was teaching on a monohull at the same time), have a lot of experience and have the patience and attitude to make the learning easy. They live on their own boat s/v moondancerx and have their own blog, if you are interested in their activities. So to sum it up, I highly recommend this school, especially with either Tony or Nancy teaching. You will enjoy your week, and achieve your goals. I believe that Tony and Nancy make the difference, at least in my training. I can share more information about my week if interested.

scubadrew 11-15-2012 10:49 PM

Hello,

Wondering if you could post about you experience.

Thank,

Drew

MokaKat 11-16-2012 11:25 AM

Drew,
Thanks for your request! I am building a blog of my experiences and the first couple of days are logged. I hope to finish entering my journal into the blog this weekend. Since I haven't posted enough to include the link, below is the name of the blog: sailmokakat.blogspot.com

jameswilson29 11-16-2012 11:32 AM

Does anyone have a video they could post - like a real commercial?