Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012

fish300 is on a distinguished road
jibing correctly?

I have taken my 10' cat rigged boat out quite a few times and I am not sure if I am jibing correctly. What I was doing was pulling the boom sheet in all the way before I jibed, then ease the rudder over. Even with the sheet pulled all the way in I found that when the boom switched sides it would move with enough force that it would upset the boat quite a bit. The last time I went out I pulled the sheet all the way in again but when the boom switched sides I would let the sheet slip through my hand as sort of a shock absorber for the boom and this seemed to work when I had the timing correct. Is this the correct way of jibing or is there a better way of doing this so the boom does not upset the boat when it moves?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: jibing correctly?

As you've discovered, controlled easing of the sheet as the sail comes through the wind is a good method. The issue that can arise is the ability to ease enough sheet fast enough without getting rope burn

This will depend on the number of parts in your mainsheet tackle, though on a smaller boat there's not so much sheet to run so it may not be a big issue.. obviously wearing gloves will help there too if necessary.

Bringing the sheet to centerline prior to the actual jibe makes things more controlled too, but is usually only really necessary in moderate breezes or more. Again, in a smallish boat I expect you'd be able to simply hand the sail over in light winds and be able to control it OK.

As the wind pipes up, a 'chicken jibe' (in reality ~ a 270 degree tack) is a nice, controlled safe way to jibe the boat, but with a catboat it may be difficult to keep enough way on to actually complete the manoeuvre without going into irons.

Anyhow it sounds like you're on the right track...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-06-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Good points from Faster above. also when the boom passes over your head, it's time to move the tiller back to midships. Beginners and inattentive helmsmen sometimes leave the tiller over too long, and are no longer headed downwind when the boom comes over, they're on a reach on the new tack. Easy to lose control this way in a breeze, you round up and broach.

I once did a chicken-jibe while defending a few boatlength lead in a race at the reach mark during a squall. Yeah, i felt chicken all right, why couldn't I be a Man and jibe?

Well, I learned why. Second place boat tried the jibe and broke his mast. Third boat, and all following, did the chicken jibe. I held on and won. Got thanked at the evening cocktail party, too.

This was long ago (the masts were spruce) but the principle is still the same.
Old 09-06-2012
Goin' sailin'

americanfrog is on a distinguished road

I have never sailed at 10' cat before but typically I bring the boom in over gradually but swiftly as I make the turn, that we way I keep better control - like the example in the video below. I am sure this is an area where folks wont be short of opinions ;-)

Old 09-06-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

I do pretty much what you describe except I have a wheel so I'll turn rather slowly and as te boat swings I'll begin sheeting in so that the sail will be in the middle at the same time as it wasnts to cross.
If the wind is really light, then I'll just sheet in the main about halfway, and right as the wind passes through the centerline of the boat I'll grab the whole gob of mainsheet between the blocks and pull the sail across and ease it over and then play out the mainsheet again on the new side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sww914; 09-06-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2012

mbetter is on a distinguished road

I like doing the S-jibe when I'm really in a blow.

http://www.woodlawnsailingclub.com/a...ndSmarts15.jpg
Old 09-06-2012

fish300 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. It sounds I'm doing it correctly then, I just need to work on it a little more to do it smoothly.