SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Docking with an outboard

13K views 36 replies 30 participants last post by  biology 
#1 ·
I have a 6hp nissan mounted on the back of my Coronado 23 MkII. I am interested in hearing other peoples methods of docking and how they switch between their tiller and motor controls. I feel like my outboard demands a frustrating amount of attention as I am docking and maybe some of you fine folks out there have a method that will make the end of my trips a little easier on me and my wife. Thanks in advance.

#29 · (Edited)
Wife and I just bought our first boat. 1973 American 16 with a 5 hp outboard. I think its too much motor for that boat but there it was. Twice out so far. Today I pulled the rudder and raised the centerboard to bring the boat in to the dock at the ramp. Seemed a lot easier than the first time trying ballet the motor and rudder together. Basically with those criteria. Its just a little boat.
Just my .02.
Cheers, Jim

#31 ·
We often dock on the Saco River, at a nice launch facility called Marblehead, tha sticks out from the bank, perpendicular to the flow. We have to motor up river int a 3-4 knot current (guessing). It takes about 1/3 throttle to hover, which I often have to do, waiting for those dreaded stink-potters to make room for elegance (getting deep). I'll hover and inch towards then end of the dock. About 1 1/2 boat lengths away, I pass by about a boat length then steel about 45 degrees to port. The current takes over and gently lays us against the dock. I often have to play the throttle and steer with both the tiller and the motor, at the same time, to keep us on course.

#36 ·
this post is slowing down... but I'll just mention that I typically keep the motor straight and use the rudder.

The other thing to bear in mind with some smaller outboards is that they don't have reverse (such as a 2-stroke 4 hp). Those can usually spin 180 degrees for "reverse" which actually doesn't work too bad. I've used one of those quite a few times easing in and out of slips with a 27' while the 8hp was getting tuned up.

I think the main thing is planning ahead for your approach and trajectory and don't rush. I know my boat won't really be quickly stopped by reverse with the motors I've had on it, so I go just fast enough to maintain steering, then coast into the slip. And never be afraid to abort your approach and swing around if necessary to improve your angle or speed. I've had to do that in heavy winds and after making a couple adjusted approaches feel better about sliding in as smooth as a calm day than bouncing around between pylons just to get it in there...

If you are worried about bouncing around, string a couple strategic fenders to protect from dock corners or pylons. You can also run a taught rope between your slip and the adjacent (if it's the open style with only a walkway on one side) between the dock and pylon. You might do that anyway if you're worried about your neighbor bouncing off of you!

Once you feel comfortable it's fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.