SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Single-handed sail on Lake Michigan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/92136-single-handed-sail-lake-michigan.html)

agarcia 09-16-2012 03:34 AM

Single-handed sail on Lake Michigan

1 Attachment(s)
This past Thursday I was able to get out on the water for my fourth single-handed sail ever. The conditions were challenging but manageable. The wave heights were averaging 4-6 ft with the occasional 8-10 ft (Lake Michigan Style). Up until this outing, I have sailed in lower 20kt winds but with much smaller seas (2-3ft) .When I felt like I needed a break I would hove to and re-adjust as needed. The mainsail was reefed (only one reef point), and I furled the 150% genoa down to 70-80% right from the beginning. I was pleased with the fact that I was able to sail wing on wing heading to the South with much success. This was nearly impossible to do for me all summer long with the lighter winds and no whisker pole. Sure there were times when the angle of heel would go to 20 degrees and a little more when beating. No worries here I would just ease the mainsheet out and spill some wind. This experience was thrilling for me since this is my second season sailing. The attached picture shows the stats of my return to port with me beating to the North against the waves and wind. The sailboat is a Ranger 29. Feel free to comment or pass on advice. Thanks

JBIZZ 09-16-2012 03:52 PM

Re: Single-handed sail on Lake Michigan

Sounds like fun. Just be careful. It gets rougher in the Great Lakes than in the Atlantic ocean at times. There are tighter wavelengths in shallower water. Get one of those micro-burst storms and your SOL. You got the cold water too. Just watch the weather forecasts closely before you go out & have the proper safety gear in easy reach.

Barquito 09-18-2012 01:30 PM

My suggestion: Get a GoPro camera b/f you go out in conditions like that again. Then we can all enjoy the ride. :D You must have been flying going back!

seaojoe 09-19-2012 07:43 PM

Much agree with getting a GoPro. As a singlehander and one who takes a bunch of pics, it sometimes gets interesting sailing in 'active' conditions, trying to shoot pics/vids and keeping things close to being under control. Before the GoPro, I used an Iphone, hard to do with one hand. Here's an Iphone vid:

SailingJackson 09-19-2012 10:09 PM

I tried GoPro and found it totally frustrating. It didn't work as the instruction manual said and software upgrades failed. I took it back and got the Ion Air Pro wireless and have been much more satisfied.

I was going to post references to a few some AirPro videos of solo sailing on Lake Michigan, but the system here stopped me. Perhaps you can figure out the URL from (youtube.com) + (\) + (channel/UCevkPHlBIzghWsjultU8oiA?feature=watch)

ltgoshen 09-24-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailingJackson (Post 924187)
I tried GoPro and found it totally frustrating. It didn't work as the instruction manual said and software upgrades failed. I took it back and got the Ion Air Pro wireless and have been much more satisfied.

I was going to post references to a few some AirPro videos of solo sailing on Lake Michigan, but the system here stopped me. Perhaps you can figure out the URL from (youtube.com) + (\) + (channel/UCevkPHlBIzghWsjultU8oiA?feature=watch)

I just love mine, It works just like the directions. Great in all kinds of conditions. Cold, wet, sunny, Like anything electronic. You spend a little time and It will be the best thing you have for taking shots.
LTGoshen1's channel - YouTube

Thanks. take a look at my Blog, All video and photos were from The Go Pro Hero.
S/V East Coast Lady

Have fun