SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Lightning Pilot in Ann Arbor or Lansing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/92352-lightning-pilot-ann-arbor-lansing.html)

mustangchef 09-22-2012 01:17 PM

Lightning Pilot in Ann Arbor or Lansing

Just purchased Lightning and am setting her up for first outing,{mast floatation, ladder,checking hardware etc etc}..Looking for someone that sails a lightning to give me some dryland instruction at farm in Stockbridge.

NewportFixer 09-23-2012 02:00 PM

Re: Lightning Pilot in Ann Arbor or Lansing

Well, I don't know what a lightning is?? But I have sailed my Newport 17 locally without any problems over here in the Battle Creek MI area. I'm new to sailing so I'm no expert. But If I can help, I'll try. I have had to learn by myself, dragging my girlfriend or our kid's out there to help me put the boat together. The boys dont turn down a cruize so they must be having fun. Anyway I just thaught Id wave HI to let you know were here in MI.

mustangchef 09-23-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewportFixer (Post 925620)
Well, I don't know what a lightning is?? But I have sailed my Newport 17 locally without any problems over here in the Battle Creek MI area. I'm new to sailing so I'm no expert. But If I can help, I'll try. I have had to learn by myself, dragging my girlfriend or our kid's out there to help me put the boat together. The boys dont turn down a cruize so they must be having fun. Anyway I just thaught Id wave HI to let you know were here in MI.

How late in the season do you sail?

ctl411 09-23-2012 07:13 PM

Got a lighting sitting next to the house. Great boat hasn't seen much use this year to busy with my other boat. Have you checked out the lighting association web site? Lots of info. They also have rigging setup booklets. Pick a light air days for your first few sails things happen fast and righting a flipped lighting takes some effort and body weight. Make sure you lock the centreboard down if it goes in the trunk you can't right the boat. I think there's a fleet racing in the Lansing area and maybe gull lake.

mustangchef 09-23-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctl411 (Post 925676)
Got a lighting sitting next to the house. Great boat hasn't seen much use this year to busy with my other boat. Have you checked out the lighting association web site? Lots of info. They also have rigging setup booklets. Pick a light air days for your first few sails things happen fast and righting a flipped lighting takes some effort and body weight. Make sure you lock the centreboard down if it goes in the trunk you can't right the boat. I think there's a fleet racing in the Lansing area and maybe gull lake.

Thanks, I am taking the craft pretty serious. It reminds me of a sailplane. I flew soar planes out of Richmond field in Gregory, Michigan.
I think next week I'll take it out after I get a mast float, rig some lines for pulling it back over if it flips and a ladder for the stern. I may intentionally put it over to see if my 195 pds can right it.

ctl411 09-23-2012 09:02 PM

You stand on the center board to right. The lighting is designed to be raced with 3. You can sail solo with just the main the jib sheets are far from the tiller. Don't put the main sheet in the cleat keep it free to let out fast. Not sure you can right a lighting by yourself. I flip mine years ago and it took 3 of us to right. Once it went stick down turtle with a masthead float you shouldn't have to worry about that.

mustangchef 09-23-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctl411 (Post 925709)
You stand on the center board to right. The lighting is designed to be raced with 3. You can sail solo with just the main the jib sheets are far from the tiller. Don't put the main sheet in the cleat keep it free to let out fast. Not sure you can right a lighting by yourself. I flip mine years ago and it took 3 of us to right. Once it went stick down turtle with a masthead float you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Thank You, I think after the first sail,I will see if my weight will pull it over.
Can't wait. I do have two "in shape sons", who both know how to swim....my dream is to get them hooked on sailing and make them crew. Ohh yaaaa ...adventure...already talking day trips up the Michigan coast line.