Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2004

solbergg is on a distinguished road
How do I start a sailing career?

Hello all,

I was hoping I could get some advice on an efficient plan for plotting out my sailing career.

First I will give my background to give an idea of where I am coming from. I was born and raised in the Midwest of the United States, in the geographical center of North America. Needless to say, I couldn''t have been farther from the ocean. To my luck, my family purchased a lake home in Minnesota, and my sailing interest grew from a sunfish and a 19'' Sparrow. While I loved puddle sailing, I realize that it is a completely different ballgame from ocean cruising. My family did spend one week in the Florida keys in a cruising sailboat, but that was long ago.

I am now currently enrolled in a yacht design course in Maine, and have a strong preference for designing sailing yachts. Unfortunately, sailboats are only 1/10 of the boating industry, and most design firms want true sailing experience before hiring someone on. So, in addition to expanding my resume, I am also young and single, which I feel is the best time in my life to begin a sailing career.

I have read on a few sites that the British Yachtmaster program is one of the best paths to take to become a successful sailor and skipper. If anyone has an opinion against that notion, please feel free to express it, I just want to get a feel for want the industry expectations are. Anyways, accepting that assumption for the time being, what would be your recommendations for acheiving that goal? Should I take one of the fast track programs, like Club Sail or Hamble School of Yachting offer, or should I try to beg my way into a novice crewing position on someone''s boat (is that even realistic?) I am sure there are other options that I am not even aware of, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to hearing from your perspectives, no matter what your experience level,

Garrick Solberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

You can buy and rebuild, or design and build a small boat for almost nothing and this will get you out there quickly. If you are even slightly rigorous in reading and sailing, you will learn quickly enough to get aboard bigger boats as crew.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2004

solbergg is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice, Jeff. I have done a little searching on the internet, but haven''t found any old dinghies listed for sale in my area. Would you happen to have a suggestion on where I should look for them? Thanks,

Garrick
Old 03-29-2008

Davidrogerson is an unknown quantity at this point
Go for the Yachtmaster it's a very intense and difficult course but the rewards are worth it
Old 03-29-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
David,

You revived a 4 year old thread. Jeff is still around but I don't think Sol is. Look at the top left corner of the post, it has the date or time of the post.
And welcome aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 03-29-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Dang! I want a sailing career too! after 4 years he's probably chairman.

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 04-04-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
If I had to do it over again, I'd learn to be an expert marine electriction for a career...that's where the money is at...not in sailing a boat.
Old 04-07-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
If I had to do it over again, I'd learn to be an expert marine electriction for a career...that's where the money is at...not in sailing a boat.
Jiffy, I'm not convinced an expert marine electrician would be as great as you'd think, given the vast quantity of crap that passes for "marine electrics" on board a boat these days.

Microwave ovens, airconditioners, plasma TVs, Raymarine electronics, Humminbird GPS's... all owned by someone who has no clue what they've actually bought - they just want it working - yesterday!!

"Whadya mean you can't hook my GPS up to the Microwave?? Useless b*&#^$y electricians..."

Last edited by Classic30; 04-07-2008 at 05:01 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.