Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Don't need no lessons..just go..

What a beautiful C&C 35 MKIII...whats thatt attached to the top straboard quarter l;ife line?

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2012

wanttosail is on a distinguished road

This thread is great and highly encouraging. Being someone with no experience at sailing it is good to hear that many of you think the easiest way to learn is to just go do it. It sounds like as long as your cautious and take your time it is pretty achievable.
TerralTheSeeker likes this.
Old 12-18-2012

Dubbinchris is on a distinguished road

My pre-boat experience was pretty minimal as well. I'd done tons of reading and fortunately my mind is pretty mechanical so it all pretty much makes sense to me. My first boat I found was pretty cheap and somewhat small. I didn't do a ton of research about what boat to get, i just wanted to get out on the water so a boat in hand that I could afford certainly was better than dreaming about a boat I couldn't afford. I bought a Siren 17 a few years ago for $900 ready to sail. I rewired the trailer and bought the required safety gear to make sure I was safe as well as legal. I went out as often as I could, which unfortunately wasn't as often as I'd like as I didn't have a way to tow my boat to the water due to a break up. Finally got a vehicle set up to tow, but then found someone willing to trade me even up for a Chrysler 22. Knowing all along I'd like a bigger boat I jumped at the chance. It's older than the Siren and needs more work, but there is more room aboard and it's still towable (barely) with my vehicle. Even though I my not actually cruise for many years (if at all), the bigger boat allows me to dream a little more about it and I get to keep practicing on inland lakes and whatnot. In the meantime, I'll keep reading and asking questions. When I'm out on the water I will continue to proceed with caution as my experience and confidence allows. I'm 39 now and figure I have many years of sailing yet to come.
Old 12-18-2012
Jimmy Buffett 4 Prez 2016

TerralTheSeeker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TerralTheSeeker
Cool Re: Don't need no lessons..just go..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttosail View Post
This thread is great and highly encouraging. Being someone with no experience at sailing it is good to hear that many of you think the easiest way to learn is to just go do it. It sounds like as long as your cautious and take your time it is pretty achievable.
I now know, after years of waiting for just the right boat and moment and the stars to align etc., that I should have just bought a cheap but sailable boat even if it was just a 12 to 19 footer - something I could have done years ago - and get on the water to start sailing.

Now that I'm in a sailing club and get in at least eight hours a week, I realize how much time I wasted - how many sunrises and sunsets I could have witnessed offshore rather than from land.

Most of all, I kick myself for thinking that it would be much harder than it actually is.

It's turned out to be one of the easiest and most pleasurable (and addictive) of things.

Don't wait around. Get SOMETHING, even if it's just a sailing dinghy - a grill, portapotty, and 50-inch big screen tv go perfect on an 8-foot dinghy.
smackdaddy likes this.

Please Help - Boatless War Vet
Will Grind For Beer
Old 12-18-2012
Jimmy Buffett 4 Prez 2016

TerralTheSeeker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TerralTheSeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbinchris View Post
... just wanted to get out on the water so a boat in hand that I could afford certainly was better than dreaming about a boat I couldn't afford. I bought a Siren 17 a few years ago for $900 ready to sail...
Frikkin' AWESOME - that's what I should have done. I could have been a crusty old salt by now rather than a newbie.

Please Help - Boatless War Vet
Will Grind For Beer
Old 12-28-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Yeah, Terral.... that's what I should have done, too. Howzat go? "Go small...Go NOW!"
I spent years longing, planning, wishing and hoping instead of sailing. I went from denial to thinking I could take a few classes for what a boat costs and get it out of my system. Rather than dope around anymore, I spent my last bit of 'wait' time researching and coming up with "The Plan". Life changes, plans become snarled; but I stayed the course and ended up here.
Either way it works out, I *still* end up with THE boat and time to sail.
Nuthin' wrong with that!
Old 12-28-2012

dive7mmwet is on a distinguished road

My thoughts are as in any sport or group you have the ones that were just god gifted greats! this skill set passed thru proper breeding and osmosis, genes ect,,, nothing to do that one day all of us had to start and learn! This group with in the sailing community is the same group that wish's they could of would of but now are too old, too broke, or just to darned scared to cast off due to they may make a mistake in front of their peers! And C-cards to sail my god what's next some sail training machine as big as PADI they way the world learns to dive ON LINE!
I read the kid's blog Not my cup of tea but they did get to see some parts of the world most never do, My favorite was the Bahamas my choice because they are so close and yet so far away! And the Islanders are the best!
I hope to re sail too soon!
Old 12-28-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Its hard to believe that they could be banned for being honest. It’s their opinion and its clear they are travelers, not sailors.
Rather than embracing their sailing experience, they feel that their existence and value are being challenged. It is pretty much the mentality of many members on Sailnet here.

Narrow minded individuals will never go far in their career or personal life. I pays to listen, evaluate, adapt and invent.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 12-28-2012

luck66 is on a distinguished road

Even after taking sailing lessons years ago I still learn new sailing stuff. I learn when I go out with other experienced sailors, and have an opportunity to reenforce what I know when I sail with crew that has little sailing knowledge. I thing the point is, just go sailing when you can, and read and talk about sailing when you can't.
Old 01-13-2013

JamesClarke1128 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
if you can read a book, have some common sense, and such...because some of the "sailing lessons" are all but useless, and quite expensive all things considered. I have ASA 101, 103 and another one, I forget..some hands on, a few minutes practice and I have the card....of course 25 years of messing around on boats helped some...but many still get the card. It is not a requirement, yet, to go sailing.

I agree with them, just go...one does not need mega buck boats, with all the latest electronics and such to sail.

I would think many sailing associations would not them around, as their process is contrary to the goals of these same associations.

I have not met the bumfuzzles, but would enjoy talking with them at some point. More power to them.
I am not an experienced sailor, just by the same classes as you (less the time on a sailboat), but I can not think of a more dangerous situation. I, however, would not trust an individual with no firearm experience to go hunting with me (or the same land). Just my opinion

"Living and dying in 3/4 time" -J.B.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.