Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Don't need no lessons..just go..

..that's the philosophy of this couple..

The INTERVIEW WITH A CRUISER Project: 10 Questions for Bumfuzzle

..I've heard that certain cruising associations have had differing opinions to the point that they have been banned on blogs/forums..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't need no lessons..just go..

if you can read a book, have some common sense, and such...because some of the "sailing lessons" are all but useless, and quite expensive all things considered. I have ASA 101, 103 and another one, I forget..some hands on, a few minutes practice and I have the card....of course 25 years of messing around on boats helped some...but many still get the card. It is not a requirement, yet, to go sailing.

I agree with them, just go...one does not need mega buck boats, with all the latest electronics and such to sail.

I would think many sailing associations would not them around, as their process is contrary to the goals of these same associations.

I have not met the bumfuzzles, but would enjoy talking with them at some point. More power to them.
Old 10-02-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

From the site:

Q: What are your impressions of the cruising community?
A: The cruising community surprised us a little bit with their pessimism and somewhat elitist attitude.

Yeah, it ain't rocket science. These kids had the right attitiude.
SVTatia, Carl W and RunningRabbit like this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 10-02-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Its hard to believe that they could be banned for being honest. Itís their opinion and its clear they are travelers, not sailors.

I really love sailing, and I tend to agree with their points. They did what they could to learn and gained their experience and confidence by doing it on the field. They achieved their goal and fulfilled their dream, and everyone needs luck for that.
Before I set out, I also had zero offshore experience. I was well prepared and had a sound but simple boat. Risk mitigation does not mean n years of prep time and thousands of dollars in bells and whistles. I feel that you can either prepare as much as you can and go or prepare as much as you can forever and never achieve your goals or fulfill your dreams. I see a lot of fully loaded boats sailing the Great Lakes, perhaps preparing for one day...
Old 10-02-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

They did it the way it's supposed to be done...and they became very, very experienced along the way. Far more experienced than most all their detractors.

Go the Fuzzles!
Razcar likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-02-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I suppose I should ask, but who banned them?

Seems to me they have the typical cruiser attitude, with the right amount of "I can do this regardless," in them. It's what it takes.

I wouldn't call any of the blogs a basis for starting such a voyage, merely a sounding board for having done such a voyage.

People come on here for advice every day. Based upon HOW they ask the question we all (that includes me) assess the seriousness of their question based upon HOW they ask it. That assessment can be (I suspect often is) wrong.. but the advice is often earnestly given, with the best intentions (we all know where that road goes)...

On behalf of any advice I give, or that this board might have given them, bully for YOU guys for proving us wrong!

I say this a lot, but I love it when one of my dire predictions turns out wrong. I'd love being wrong all day under those circumstances!

Smack says it simpler, and I'll give him a +1 "Go the Fuzzles!"
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-03-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

..I've heard that certain cruising associations have had differing opinions to the point that they have been banned on blogs/forums..

unquote

This has to be among the vaguest things I've read.

This is the "Learning to Sail" forum. What's your point here for beginners? That you can learn without lessons, and that you can venture offshore with no prior offshore experience and learn by doing?

Okay, you can, and they did. And when they do, yes it's worthy of celebration Some can't, and get into trouble as a result, making rescuers have to risk their safety to try to save them.

What do we know, or care, about "blogs/forums" which may or may not have "banned" them, or for what? I might care if you gave more info, but if so maybe it could go over to the Cruising section?
Old 10-03-2012

benjamen is on a distinguished road

If you don't come from a sailing background, how do you get started without taking a class? I couldn't imagine figuring out which boat to buy with no prior knownledge of what is good??
The Following User Says Thank You to benjamen For This Useful Post:
abudoggie (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 10-03-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen View Post
If you don't come from a sailing background, how do you get started without taking a class? I couldn't imagine figuring out which boat to buy with no prior knownledge of what is good??
I didn't come from a sailing background. I bought into a Catalina 27 after going out on two half-day charters to get some pointers.

How did I know the Catalina 27 was the right boat for what I wanted to do? I didn't. It was just available, ready to sail, for a very good price. That was good enough for me.

The thing I made sure of is that it had a good motor so I could always get out of trouble (or bang into the dock with more speed). I also made sure to go out in very mellow conditions while I learned. And I read and watched how-to videos (and still do) A LOT!

Dude, it's really not that hard. Just be conservative and safety conscious - and be very observant in order to educate yourself. You probably won't die.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-03-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen View Post
I had read a lot. Then I bought a Hobie 14 and taught myself how to sail it.

I eventually did take classes--have now gotten through ASA 104. They weren't really "necessary," but they did help me to learn a few things about larger boat systems, and the charter companies seem to ask less questions if you show them a certification.

I would also point out that it is not like the people in the OP just bought a boat, tossed their stuff into it, and started out across an ocean (as we have seen some people say they plan to do). They spent quite a few months sailing around the Bahamas--an area where the sailing is fairly easy and the bottom is mostly soft (meaning, a good area to learn). Only THEN did they head out over the horizon.

Seems like they went about it in a reasonably safe and logical fashion. I am also skeptical that these people have been banned from any blogs/forums, unless we are talking specifically about the forums owned and operated by ASA, USS, RYA, or whatever other certifying agency you want to list. Typically these forums are limited to members of the association, so I would say it is less a case of them being "banned" and more a case of them just not being among the membership who are allowed to use the forums.

At least, that's my guess.