SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Sailing dinghy w/o headsail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/92754-sailing-dinghy-w-o-headsail.html)

FlyingJunior 10-04-2012 10:58 PM

Sailing dinghy w/o headsail

For those that might not be aware, most dinghies ( like my FJ) have a wire luff in the headsail that functions as the forestay when the sail is raised. Anyone have any thoughts what I should use in its place if I want to sail with just mainsail alone? Was thinking 3/16" dyneema. One cannot just depend on the forestay, as you can't really get it tight enough, and I don't want to wrap the headsail around its luff wire (messy).

FlyingJunior 10-04-2012 11:02 PM

I should mention, "tight enough" regarding the forestay is important on these boats, as otherwise the boom rides too low to really sail it easily (mast rakes aft naturally or from weight of the boom). I guess I could rig a turnbuckle to the existing forestay (?).

CalebD 10-04-2012 11:18 PM

Re: Sailing dinghy w/o headsail

A high tech, low stretch line like Dyneema or Amsteel sounds like the way to go to me.
Marine Amsteel on Sale
If you can rig a block to where you attach the jib or at the top of the mast you might even get some mechanical advantage for tightening your substitute fore stay - if you have a cleat to put the new line through.
I was going to say that some aft rake in the mast can be a good thing but too much rake such that you are bonking your head on the boom is not.

Sic Semper Tyrannis 10-04-2012 11:26 PM

Just run the existing halyard to the tack and tension. Should be fine.

Ric

Sent from my Kindle Fire

overbored 10-04-2012 11:27 PM

not sure why your forestay is not tight enough to sail without the jib. we do it all the time when teaching with a cat rig. the forestay and shrouds should be slightly tight when the rig is up before the sails are hoisted. The forestay on the FJ is a set length and the shrouds have adjusters. the rig should be set to have a little tension on it when not sailing.

FlyingJunior 10-04-2012 11:32 PM

@Sic - to the tack attachment point at the bow? Makes sense, I may need a longer halyard .

FlyingJunior 10-04-2012 11:36 PM

@overbored - I raise the mast, attach forestay tightly using shroud adjuster. Once the boom with mainsail are rigged, boom rides too low to sail, without using headsail. Don't know what else to say.

overbored 10-04-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingJunior (Post 929848)
@overbored - I raise the mast, attach forestay tightly using shroud adjuster. Once the boom with mainsail are rigged, boom rides too low to sail, without using headsail. Don't know what else to say.

it should no be that low, check the forestay length. someone may have changed it with the wrong length.

FlyingJunior 10-05-2012 12:05 AM

I guess I'm failing to understand why it's tight, and then not. I thought from talking to others that this was the norm. Thank you for being patient with me and for your trouble, however. Maybe I will just wrap the headsail around its luff wire, and secure with sail ties.

FlyingJunior 10-07-2012 08:08 PM

Ok, rigged boat up in the driveway today. I just wrapped the jib around the forestay, and secured it with a sail tie - easy! Also, I tied a loop into the jib halyard about 2 feet above where it gets cleated off when the jib is raised. With this loop, I can get more leverage on the halyard so that the luff is as tight as it can be - voila! I know there's a way to incorporate a block system for this purpose, but I'm not sure how to do that.