Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012

Capt Nos is on a distinguished road
LOL, this forum sounds like this is a great place for advice. The other builds look very similar to the 8 ball minus the sail which is important for my intentions. Sounds as if one is as good as the next and marine ply and used hardware is a smart bet for longevity and affordability. Thanks for the data. So free now free plans or Glen-L with patterns?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Building my own dingy

This is similar to what I am building.

The boat will be 9' overall breaking down into a 6' and 3' section to fit on my foredeck over the hatch (which in addition to hinging also slides like a companionway watch to allow aire circulation in with the skiff over it). A spritsail main and small jib with centerboard of the sort found on sharpies which would swing up under the rowing thwart and allow for sailing in shallow water.
Old 10-17-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

oh yes.....an 8 ball, still have the plans and such from the one I also built in jr high. If I had to do it again, I would douse the CB for an actual daggerboard. I think I still have teh sail too. sold the boat to a neaghbor, he never collected that part.....

El Toro might be another option. Both the *ball and eltoro have full frame setups, along with stich and glue plans available. i would not be surprised if the sabot does too.

marty
Old 10-17-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Or try this:

Building a Mirror dinghy from a kit

The Mirror is 11 feet long and sails way better than any 8-footer. Still light enough to cartop though.
Old 10-17-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

OH, I hate this thread. Many years ago I purchased a book that was being removed from the library with plans and instructions on how to build a dinghy. I retrieved some oak and mahogony from the dunnage yard and there in Naples Italy on my appartment balcony I started planeing out the keel. Well, time flies and soon it was time to return and the dinghy was in a state that it could niether be packed in the household goods nor sold as anything other than scrap wood. So I left it there and regret to this day that I never built my dinghy.
Building a dinghy is a valuable exercise regardless where it leads for all the reasons woolfenzee stated. It's not unlike playing the Stradivarious violin that gave first voice to a quartet by Mozart. Building a dinghy connects you in a visceral way to all the shipswrights of days gone by.
Old 10-17-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

John Welsford's designs for dinghies and small open sailing vessels are great. If you visit the Duckworks website you will see links to all facets of design and building of small boats.

I am not affiliated with either Welsford or Duckworks but recommend them because the first boat I ever built (four years ago) was Welsford's "Tender Behind" model. It was easy and relatively inexpensive and is a gret little boat for towing or rowing or sailing.
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own dingy-img_0407.jpg  
Old 10-17-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

If you don't have good tools like a big table saw, you might want to look into some of the kits like the Chesapeake Light Craft kits, very nicely cut out marine grade wood as well.
Old 10-17-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
If you don't have good tools like a big table saw, you might want to look into some of the kits like the Chesapeake Light Craft kits, very nicely cut out marine grade wood as well.
I have most of the tools, but don't have the money for a kit (the cost of a kit would pay for all the tools and enough materials to make some major mistakes and then some). Materials will cost me <20% of the cost of a kit....not even accounting for the wood I have on stock. Not including, fastenings, adhesive and the like. If I use the fanciest 4mil Okoume marine ply ($50/sheet), I have most of the other wood. I would only use 1 1/2 sheets for the boat (the left overs will be used for other things so don't count towards cost of skiff) and have to purchase less than $50 for everything else, including spars....total cast in lumber shoild be around $125.....I have oars locks and access to a pair of 7 1/2' sitka spuce oars ($115)....the sailing rig something else.
I visited Cheasapeke Light Crafts booth at the wooden boat festival....the kit prices were worth a think, if you can afford it, they have some nice boats. But I have a design I like which I am tailoring to my boat....no kit will fit my needs that precisely.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 10-17-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Building a dinghy connects you in a visceral way to all the shipswrights of days gone by.
Totally agree.

I will be building a Devlin Boat design Polliwog this winter. For a rowing dinghy this has the advantage of a longitudinal bench. This will allow adjustments for when there are one vs. two in the boat. Not sure how well it sails. The D4 plans include plans for adding a dagger board, etc.
Old 10-17-2012

Capt Nos is on a distinguished road

8-Ball it is then for me as no clear leader has risen above the 8 ball design and a few sound like they did it when they were kids which is reassuring for my skill set. Ordering the plans tonight I think. Wish me luck, I'll post the pics when I get started. Unfortunately due the fact that i live in Alaska I'll have to special order the marine ply.