Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

I took ASA 101 and 103 together over about 4-5 days, and I found it to be a good package and not too overwhelming. I considered the instant bareboat courses that cover 101, 103 & 104, but they were too far away and too expensive.

There is something to be said for an immersion course as you have described. My only strong suggestion is that as you complete the experience, you get out on the water to practice and solidify the skills you've learned. Without doing that consistently, you'll find that the knowledge you've gained will slip away quickly.

If you have the chance to rent a small keelboat where you live or can join a sailing club and use their boats, all the better.
nolatom likes this.

Old 10-30-2012
Jimmy Buffett 4 Prez 2016

TerralTheSeeker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TerralTheSeeker

I went out all day this past Friday and made my first trip solo out from Pensacola Bay into the Gulf of Mexico. On the way back in, I practiced the maneuver and, of course, the vessel began spinning immediately when I brought the tiller all the way over to leeward - whether I did it fast or slow.

I gave it one more shot, but this time instead of moving the tiller AFTER I let the main out, I did it slowly and simultaneously, and noted that the turn was counteracted.

It seems for that particular Catalina 22, my problem is solved.

Just in time for me to start on a different boat later this week with its own little tricks. Movin' on up to a Catalina 25 - like the Jeffersons, baby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please Help - Boatless War Vet
Will Grind For Beer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOnAPaleBlueDot View Post
It certainly makes sense financially, as it’s a few hundred dollars cheaper than taking each course individually...What are your thoughts?

-Spec.
What is the actual cost, so we can compare it to your other options?

(Your post reads as if you have been already been sold on it...)
Old 10-30-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

A good way to plunge in, probably best if you do all the reading in advance as well.

I think you would get more value by spreading out the courses and getting some sailing time in between them, so tht you brought some experience, insight, and new questions to each level as you took it. But certainly plunging into it will give you a good start.

You'll still need to work up the experience, and hopefully find a mentor or regular program to join into to keep going forward afterwards, so you've got hands-on and advice to follow up with.
Old 10-31-2012

MokaKat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MokaKat

I just finished ASA101,103,104,and 114 in St. Vincent with BOSS. I had studied since last summer, and had 10 years experience sailing on a lake. It was intense, but I learned a lot. They also made it fun. I was lucky in that I was the only student on the boat, so I was able to get plenty of helm time. I plan on doing a charter next summer, but I will probably ask for a one day captain to do a review and checkout. I posted last week about my experience in this same forum. If you have any questions, send me a personal message and I can exchange my email id.
Old 10-31-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokaKat View Post
I just finished ASA101,103,104,and 114 in St. Vincent with BOSS. I had studied since last summer, and had 10 years experience sailing on a lake. It was intense, but I learned a lot. They also made it fun. I was lucky in that I was the only student on the boat, so I was able to get plenty of helm time. I plan on doing a charter next summer, but I will probably ask for a one day captain to do a review and checkout. I posted last week about my experience in this same forum. If you have any questions, send me a personal message and I can exchange my email id.
I'm confused. Do you mean that this was a one student course? That must have cost a mint!

Old 10-31-2012

MokaKat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MokaKat

The class was set up for 4 students at a cost of $1,499.00 each. Since this was their slow time and I was the only paying student, they sent one of the boat hands to take the course, so there was only three of us. They were offering 25% discount for any additional students, but I was the only one paying on my boat. The monohull that went out with us, had 3 students on it. It ended up costing about $3,000 for the week, including airfare and a layover in Barbados. The trainers are a couple from Canada that live on a monohull, Tony and Nancy. They sailed from Canada, down the west coast, through the Panama Canal and into the Caribbean. Then they sailed across the Atlantic to Malta (where Nancy is originally from), and lived there a year on their boat. They then come back to the Caribbean last summer and have been teaching with BOSS. I highly recommend them, as Tony was my teacher in October.
Old 11-06-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerralTheSeeker View Post
I couldn't handle all that at once. I've been out on Pensacola Bay four days straight on a Catalina 22 trying to digest and integrate what I learned in 101. I'm still scratching my head as to why the boat won't stop spinning in a circle on a heave-to, couldn't imagine trying to deal with anything more than the basics at this point.
Spreading it out in order to master things from level to level isn't the worst idea in the world.
Most importantly...are you sure you have the rudder locked so it's pointing the boat into the wind? I do a slow tack, back winding the jib, steer the boat back into the wind, lock the rudder and ease the main slightly. Try this before reducing the jib.

Back on topic; I never learned as much as I did when I took a solid week of skiing lessons. For years, I would take a lesson or two and would be back to square one at the beginning of the next season. The week lessons made me a better skier for life. Of course, skiing depends much more on mussel memory than sailing.
In the SF Bay Area we have several on line crew lists where you can get experience on other peoples boats. I'm a veteran windsurfer, but never took a sailing course. I crewed on other boats, then bought my own. Now, I'm a skipper on the crew lists and take other people out. My experience regarding sailing schools is summed up here:
Training and Developing Crew
In any event, crew lists could be a good option, especially if you are not sure you want to sail. We also have a very cool yacht club on the coast that has a great teaching program.

Last edited by L124C; 11-06-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2012
Jimmy Buffett 4 Prez 2016

TerralTheSeeker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TerralTheSeeker
Thumbs up Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Most importantly...are you sure you have the rudder locked so it's pointing the boat into the wind? I do a slow tack, back winding the jib, steer the boat back into the wind, lock the rudder and ease the main slightly. Try this before reducing the jib.

Turns out that, for some reason, on the one specific Catalina 22, the rudder must be pointed straight on center-line when hove to. One instructor doesn't believe it while another says he seems to remember the same issue with that boat himself.

None of the other boats in the sailing club fleet behave that way, even the other 22's.

This past Sunday I tested it out just to make sure and, every time I pointed the rudder leeward all the way over, the spin started. When the rudders brought back to center, it stops and the boat stays steady and slows to stop.

Took a Catalina 25 out two days before that and the maneuver works as it's supposed to.

Good news is I know what to do to get the result I want out of the one vessel. Can't wait for Friday (day off from work) so I can get back out on the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please Help - Boatless War Vet
Will Grind For Beer
Old 11-07-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerralTheSeeker View Post
This past Sunday I tested it out just to make sure and, every time I pointed the rudder leeward all the way over, the spin started. When the rudders brought back to center, it stops and the boat stays steady and slows to stop.
When hove-to, the rudder should be to windward, not leeward. The tiller is to leeward.
L124C likes this.