Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012

SpecOnAPaleBlueDot is on a distinguished road
Too Much, Too Soon?

Hello everyone,
I havenít set foot on a sailboat in quite a while, and never acted as crew on one before, but I generally love the feel of being on the water in most any boat. Assuming that I truly enjoy sailing as much as I remember, I was wondering if any of you have encountered or heard anything about the ASA SUPER TRACK. Itís the certification for 101-105 over a span of one week. It certainly makes sense financially, as itís a few hundred dollars cheaper than taking each course individually, and taking time off of work would be more manageable, as I could take a single week off instead of a few days at a time. But, Iím worried that taking all of those courses at once would be too much in too small amount of time. What are your thoughts?

-Spec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

Can't hurt, will help. Personally I'd spread the various classes out both in time and location so you'd get different instructors, companions, boats, weather, and geography. Also you'd have more time to "internalize" and work on what you'd learned before moving up to the next step.

For reasons of logistics what you've proposed may work best for you. So I wouldn't second-guess you if you decide to go ahead.
Old 10-18-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I agree with nolatom about different instructors, time to digest, etc.

None of the courses near you are offered only on weekends or over a series of weekends? I took ASA 101 on a Saturday-Sunday.

Taking 101 alone may also give you the opportunity to see if you still like sailing without being trapped for an entire week. Then maybe bundle the rest of the courses. You could probably find an instructor to do the week-long multi-course sans 101.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-22-2012
Jimmy Buffett 4 Prez 2016

TerralTheSeeker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TerralTheSeeker

I couldn't handle all that at once. I've been out on Pensacola Bay four days straight on a Catalina 22 trying to digest and integrate what I learned in 101. I'm still scratching my head as to why the boat won't stop spinning in a circle on a heave-to, couldn't imagine trying to deal with anything more than the basics at this point.

Spreading it out in order to master things from level to level isn't the worst idea in the world.

Please Help - Boatless War Vet
Will Grind For Beer
Old 10-22-2012

pdemasco is on a distinguished road

We (my wife and I) did our 101 course at the end of August and did our 103 course in October. We tried to sail as much as possible between the two classes which turned out to be 4 outings. While I don't regret taking the 103 course I still think I would have preferred more small boat experience before moving on to the larger boat.

Although our school is suggesting we take the 104, we will definitely hold off until we get most of a season of independent sailing.

Consequently, if it were me, I would not do the fast track.
groggy and juggleandhope like this.
Old 10-22-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

*sigh*...I hope your expectation is not that you'll take these courses and will be capable to go out and buy a cruising vessel and sail off into the sunset. These courses will give you the feel of sailing a keelboat, but not about how to own, maintain, upgrade, and cruise such a vessel over a long period of time.

My suggestion is that take the class you need at a minimum to charter. Then charter a few times and decide if you like this lifestyle.

Just for reference, I never took ASA classes....but we bought a 34 foot sailboat after a boat show was over and the right deal came along. I had sailed small dinghys and a Catalina 30 briefly before then. We jumped into the deep end. My whole sailing/sailboat ownership journey has been documented in my sailnet posts in the last 6 or so years.

Almost 4 years later, I've learned how to do boat plumbing, some entry level diesel repair, fiberglass maintenance, canvas work...and more importantly, what to do myself vs outsource. I've done damage to a nice crispy set of sails and shortened their life significantly, but I'm getting good enough in our Club racing to push for hardware with steady crew in my class. SOON I hope to have the financial resources to cast off...but till then, I'll sail my boat that I bought practically on a whim.

Best decision we ever made....and not a single class taught me what to do.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by night0wl; 10-22-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerralTheSeeker View Post
I couldn't handle all that at once. I've been out on Pensacola Bay four days straight on a Catalina 22 trying to digest and integrate what I learned in 101. I'm still scratching my head as to why the boat won't stop spinning in a circle on a heave-to, couldn't imagine trying to deal with anything more than the basics at this point.

Spreading it out in order to master things from level to level isn't the worst idea in the world.
You need to furl down the jib to a much smaller size - it's too big and the main can't balance out the force on the jib.

My Bristol will spin around unless the jib is really furled down to half size or less.
TerralTheSeeker likes this.
Old 10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOnAPaleBlueDot View Post
Hello everyone,
I havenít set foot on a sailboat in quite a while, and never acted as crew on one before, but I generally love the feel of being on the water in most any boat. Assuming that I truly enjoy sailing as much as I remember, I was wondering if any of you have encountered or heard anything about the ASA SUPER TRACK. Itís the certification for 101-105 over a span of one week. It certainly makes sense financially, as itís a few hundred dollars cheaper than taking each course individually, and taking time off of work would be more manageable, as I could take a single week off instead of a few days at a time. But, Iím worried that taking all of those courses at once would be too much in too small amount of time. What are your thoughts?

-Spec.
My experience is that the ASA classes are excellent but I'm in complete agreement with those who suggest doing the classes over a longer period, getting some experience in between. Normally ASA 101 takes 4 days, 103 4 days, and so on. That time on the water is valuable.
groggy likes this.
Old 10-23-2012
Jimmy Buffett 4 Prez 2016

TerralTheSeeker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TerralTheSeeker
Smile Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
You need to furl down the jib to a much smaller size - it's too big and the main can't balance out the force on the jib.

My Bristol will spin around unless the jib is really furled down to half size or less.
I'll be out on the water all day this upcoming Friday - I'll try that and see if it works.

Thanks!

T

Please Help - Boatless War Vet
Will Grind For Beer
Old 10-23-2012

Also you might have to play with the main sheeting a bit - some boats like it sheeted way out, some it needs to be sheeted in more. It's all about a balance of forces.
TerralTheSeeker likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.