SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   how to splice rope (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/94542-how-splice-rope.html)

jhgreen 11-29-2012 09:48 AM

how to splice rope

Hello. I am replacing some shhets halyards and travler lines this winter and i have noticed there are some splices that need to be done is there any where online that can help me learn before I splice the actual lines

Jeremy
Pearson 10m

RobGallagher 11-29-2012 09:59 AM

Re: how to splice rope

YouTube has some good videos. Some from the major manufacturers and done very well.

jsaronson 11-29-2012 10:34 AM

New England Ropes and Samson both have instructions and videos.

jhgreen 11-29-2012 10:37 AM

how to splice rope

Thank you

justified 11-29-2012 12:42 PM

You want to keep your mind and sanity check out the following site How to Eye Splice double braid rope
very easy to follow and great results. I have no connection with the site other than have used for my own splicing needs and have been very [leased with the out comes.

peter

jackdale 11-29-2012 12:52 PM

Before eye splicing Dacron lines, practice on some nylon line. It is easier to "milk".

sailingfool 11-29-2012 01:20 PM

Be sure to purchase the correct size fids for whatever size lines you work with...

zz4gta 11-29-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justified (Post 954732)
You want to keep your mind and sanity check out the following site How to Eye Splice double braid rope

Wow. :eek: That is all I have to say about that.

dugout 11-29-2012 09:02 PM

Go to the Brion Toss web site.
Brion Toss Yacht Riggers, Sailboat Rigging
Buy his splicing video, a medium splicing wand, 4" marlingspike, and a small Point Hudson "Phid". Add the small wand to do 1/4" and 5/16". The medium works for 3/8 to 5/8 braid from my experience.
IMHO, One of the best purchases I ever made. find some #4 waxed twine, #10 sailmakers needles, and a riggers Palm. These tools and knowledge will serve you over and over.;)

Mike Banks 11-29-2012 10:18 PM

Pull-through fids work well. I use a metal wire coat hanger for a quick job or have one made up from stainless steel welding rod with a narrow loop formed at one end. The palm, waxed thread and needles you certainly need. I think my kit cost me about two hundred dollars all together--and has paid for itself in beer several times by now. For three strand ropes I use a locked loop splice in nylon, but for silver rope I use the usual hemp rope eye splices but take them an extra two turns. For three strand ropes I use a curved hollow stainless steel fid.