Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012
Voyager

Columbia9_6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Columbia9_6
Re: how high well does my boat point?

Instead of shot gunning the problem, I'd suggest starting at the beginning. Someone said earlier fair the bottom. I assume they are referring to a new bottom paint to reduce unwanted drag. Next, loosen all your standing rigging and tune the rig properly. contrary to an earlier post, two year old dacron sails are new... two year old laminates are not. Properly cared for dacron sails will last 10, 12 years. Balance the boat when sailing. If it's not balanced, nothing else can be repeated on a consistent basis. Then you can send picture, gps tracks, apparent wind readings, etc. we can provide a lot of help with just a little more data as long as the conditions are repeatable...eg a balanced boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Columbia 9.6
Distant Horizon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

i have a coronado 27' which is basically a columbia 26. But i haven't notices problems pointing. yea i don't point into the wind like some nice boats around me do. And ive found these boats sail very well weather heavy weather or light to no wind. you shouldn't have a problem with pointing how far off the wind are you when beating?

And a little off topic hows the inside of your boat look? i need some ideas for my boat and we have the same boat pretty much. Post a few pics of you boat.
Old 12-24-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

If its the same Columbia that we had in Australia in the 1970's it will only point well downwind.

But you cant tell till you have your new genoa.

My boat is not a great pointer, so instead of getting frustrated i try to just go with its flow, keep the boat speed up and reduce leeway.

Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia9_6 View Post
Instead of shot gunning the problem, I'd suggest starting at the beginning. Someone said earlier fair the bottom. I assume they are referring to a new bottom paint to reduce unwanted drag. Next, loosen all your standing rigging and tune the rig properly. contrary to an earlier post, two year old dacron sails are new... two year old laminates are not. Properly cared for dacron sails will last 10, 12 years. Balance the boat when sailing. If it's not balanced, nothing else can be repeated on a consistent basis. Then you can send picture, gps tracks, apparent wind readings, etc. we can provide a lot of help with just a little more data as long as the conditions are repeatable...eg a balanced boat.
I didn't say two year old sails went any good, I said they would start to effect performance. If you look at any racing class that uses Dacron sails (the J-22 comes to mind) there is a definite replacement cycle for sails. When I was racing the 22's we replaced the sails before every big regatta. So a new set for midwinters, new set for nationals, new set for North Americans, ect... A jib with 10 races on it is a noticeably worse pointer than a new one.

Note that this would be stupid for cruising/day sailing, even performance sailing unless you are sailing at the top of the fleet.