Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
Re: Reefing a headsail???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post

The use of a (slab) reefable jib, etc. is a VERY good way ensure good sail SHAPE, especially needed for going 'upwind' in gnarly conditions. This is a strategic advantage over a roller furled jib that typically can only be 'roller reefed' to approx 30% sail area reduction before the shape -- goes all to hell and you get extreme bagginess in the important luff section and thus lose important 'pointing ability'.

I prefer the jib, etc. reef points to run along at an 'up angle' towards the clew for two reasons:
1. if carefully 'angled' you dont have to reset (much) the fore/aft position of the jib fairlead car.
3. the resultant higher (new) clew position will be 'far above the deck' for less trapping of 'green water'. Another way to state this is the my reef points are arranged so that I effectively change a relatively low clew 'normal' shape into a 'yankee' shape with 'high' clew when deep reefed.

Well said...I noticed this on my previous boat which really needed a jib reef when it got over 25 and would become very tame and able to beat upwind quite closely afterwards....Reasons I am thinking of removing my furling on the new boat. grrrr decisions decisions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
....WHile that's all good, the foot *is* what he sent me, dimension-wise; a measured 16'-3". Doing the math; it looks like I am the new owner of a 150% Genoa!! .
If you actually measured the length of the foot, that is not what you measure to determine the size of the jib, you need to measure the LP or luff perpendicular, the length perpendicular from the luff to the clew...so the sail should turn out to be a good deal less than a 150%.
jackdale likes this.
Old 01-09-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

sailingfool;
I'd appreciate a link to that info... on how ya calculate the percent overage.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-10-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

As an aside. When you furl a a genoa, the C of E goes higher and forward - exaxctly the wrong direction.

I used to use a boat with a slab reefing jib. It was great. I remember beating in 35 knots (with few waves, no fetch). No problem. Double reefed main.
oysterman23 likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-10-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Here ya go on determining the LP (length perpendicular) ... see the second dwg. on the page.
Sail Measurement Assistance
Old 01-10-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Thanks Rich;

I'm having some trouble digesting the text stating; " The LP defines the sail size in terms of percentage increase beyond the J measurement as in the following examples." with the chart immediately below. It shows, under the "LP" column, a direct correlation to unit "J" past the "I" line.
It appears that roller furlers need the "LP" figure to relate the amount of sail exposed, as that's the direction of reduction; but regular (geometric term) foresail calcs rely on straight "J" numbers.
Am I missing something??
Doesn't the "IJ" fore-triangle calc describe a geometric area potentially filled by a headsail at 100% (not necessarily the actual measurements)? As I was led to believe, the increase in percentage was a function of the amount of the (base/"J") jib triangle passing the mast (height/"I") of the theoretical/geometric right triangle??

Last edited by deltaten; 01-10-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Hmmm. Just lose the concept that the genoa size relates to the foretriangle area - it does not. It relates solely to the LP relationship to the J. If you do the geometry, a 100% genoa will have an area equal to the (square root of (I squared plus P squared)/I) times the foretriangle area. So if the measurements of a W27 are:

I J P E
34.75ft 11.00ft 29.00ft) 10.75ft

then the area of a 100% jib will be 1.05 times the foretriangle area of 1/2*IP or 529 sq. ft.

I think.
Old 01-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I think SF has it... if your boat has a J measurement of 12 feet, say, and if you drew a line through the clew at 90 degrees to the luff (ie LP) and it measured 18 feet, that's a '150%' genoa

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-10-2013

AdamLein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Hmmm. Just lose the concept that the genoa size relates to the foretriangle area - it does not. It relates solely to the LP relationship to the J. If you do the geometry, a 100% genoa will have an area equal to the (square root of (I squared plus P squared)/I) times the foretriangle area. So if the measurements of a W27 are:

I J P E
34.75ft 11.00ft 29.00ft) 10.75ft

then the area of a 100% jib will be 1.05 times the foretriangle area of 1/2*IP or 529 sq. ft.

I think.
529 ft² sounds big for a 100% jib on a 27-foot boat. Isn't P just for the mainsail?

I would think jib area is LP * Luff / 2. If Luff = forestay length, then for that boat it's

100% * 11.00 ft * sqrt((34.75 ft)² + (11 ft)²) / 2 = 200.5 ft².
Old 01-10-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
529 ft² sounds big for a 100% jib on a 27-foot boat. Isn't P just for the mainsail?

I would think jib area is LP * Luff / 2. If Luff = forestay length, then for that boat it's

100% * 11.00 ft * sqrt((34.75 ft)² + (11 ft)²) / 2 = 200.5 ft².
So much for the back of the envelop. You are right, the correct the formula for adjusting the foretriangle area is stated as "(square root of (I squared plus J squared)/I) times the foretriangle area".

I used the correct formula in calculating the 1.05 adjustment for a 100% jib. If you calculate the foretriangle area of I*J/2 to
191, adjust by the 1.05 and you get the 200.5 that you calculated directly...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.