SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Book recommendations?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  songshun 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend a book that covers bareboat chartering, coastal cruising and some navigation (material covered in ASA 104,105,106) or refer me to where I can get the texts for these courses without having to pay thousands of dollars to enroll. Time and money is an issue.

#2 ·
The ASA books for their courses can be found on their website: Books & Charts

You don't need to be a student to purchase them. I'm pretty sure that I've seen them in Barnes and Noble as well. A used copy of Chapman's will give you the same information.

What you need to know for bareboat chartering is in ASA 101 but they also want you to have some actual on-water experience. Depending on where you wish to charter depends on how much on-water experience may be required.

#7 ·

You don't need to be a student to purchase them. I'm pretty sure that I've seen them in Barnes and Noble as well. A used copy of Chapman's will give you the same information.

What you need to know for bareboat chartering is in ASA 101 but they also want you to have some actual on-water experience. Depending on where you wish to charter depends on how much on-water experience may be required.

Thanks for share

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.