SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What if I get that call?

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  GDSimmons 
#1 ·
I'm sure this Thursday, when I attend the Genesee Yacht Club (Rochester, NY) meeting as a guest, I will get all sorts of information about what a newbie needs to bring on the first day of sailing.

Nevertheless, I'd like to hear from you as well. I get that call, "Greg, race tomorrow at 6 PM, we could use you for the crew..."

What do I show up with? My list so far:
*athletic wet suit (short sleeve/short pant kind)
*sailing shoes
*gloves (rated for sailing)
*tightly secured hat
*athletic shades??
*shorts/pants & T-shirt/long sleeve shirt to wear over the wet suit depending on weather
*small duffel bag to carry any of my belongings/secure them while underway e.g. watch/cell phone/wallet, etc.
*silver platter - cuz I know I'll get my rear handed to me the first time out LOL

Now I know some of you are laughing because I'm might be way be waaaay off base but hey, I have no shame in my newbie game. I'm using your feedback so when I get that call, I'll have a good idea of what to discuss with the skipper prior to arriving at the dock. Moreover, I'll know what I should be purchasing now in the off-season versus rushing to West Marine the night before to find my size or item is sold out!

Thanks in advance,
Greg

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Not sure what kind of boats you plan to be sailing, but if you need a wet suit, we are not talking a regular production boat.

Here is what I tell my crew about packing for the trip:

The general rule is to pack light. Figure on wearing items more than one day, wearing only one or two pair of shoes, and only bring one jacket. In cold weather, plan on layering your clothing as opposed to having several different weight coats and jackets. Pack your things in a soft-sided gym bag or duffel bag instead of in a hard-sided suitcase or trunk. Start with a smallish bag and resolve to fit everything in it. If it doesn’t fit in the bag, leave the item at home.

Try not to bring items that are already on the boat. No need to bring corkscrews or first aid kits, for example. We have them aboard. Also, be wary of bringing coolers. There are few places to properly secure them and we have a cooler and an ice box on board already. Consider, too, that we only have access to alternating current when we are at the dock. Your blow dryers, blenders, and anything else that plugs in won’t work after we cast off.

Plan on the worst possible conditions when choosing foul weather gear and cold weather gear. Take a look at the forecast, add a grain or two of salt, and pack accordingly. If you are joining us for more than three days, assume the forecast is pure fiction and just figure that the worst weather appropriate for the season will occur.

It is generally dry below decks, but we have shipped a wave on occasion and sometimes rain works its way below, usually directly onto your gear. Even if your bag is water proof, place your items in ziplock bags or secured garbage bags before packing them so that all your gear stays nice and dry.

Suggested Packing Lists
* denotes items that we normally have on board, but some folks prefer to bring their own

For a daysail:

Sunscreen* Wide-brimmed hat Lip Balm
Rigging Knife Whistle* Life Jacket*
Swimsuit Towel Boat Shoes
Foul Weather Gear Fleece/sweater Sunglasses w/strap
Sailing Logbook Sailing gloves Hat tie down
Eye drops

For a weekend cruise, all the above items plus:

Linens / sleeping bag Pillow Personal Medications
Toiletries Going ashore shoes Pajamas
Snacks* / gum / mints Book to read Shower shoes
Knee pads Change of clothes Hair ties

For a three to five-day cruise, all the above items plus:

2nd change of clothes Earplugs Sleeping mask
Strobe / MOB Light Personal flashlight Cell phone charger
Harness and tether Snorkeling mask Watch cap
Alarm clock Back up eye glasses

For more than five days, add:

Passport 3rd change of clothes Laundry bag

Reactions: GDSimmons
#14 ·
Not sure what kind of boats you plan to be sailing, but if you need a wet suit, we are not talking a regular production boat.

Here is what I tell my crew about packing for the trip:

The general rule is to pack light. Figure on wearing items more than one day, wearing only one or two pair of shoes, and only bring one jacket. In cold weather, plan on layering your clothing as opposed to having several different weight coats and jackets. Pack your things in a soft-sided gym bag or duffel bag instead of in a hard-sided suitcase or trunk. Start with a smallish bag and resolve to fit everything in it. If it doesn't fit in the bag, leave the item at home.

Try not to bring items that are already on the boat. No need to bring corkscrews or first aid kits, for example. We have them aboard. Also, be wary of bringing coolers. There are few places to properly secure them and we have a cooler and an ice box on board already. Consider, too, that we only have access to alternating current when we are at the dock. Your blow dryers, blenders, and anything else that plugs in won't work after we cast off.

Plan on the worst possible conditions when choosing foul weather gear and cold weather gear. Take a look at the forecast, add a grain or two of salt, and pack accordingly. If you are joining us for more than three days, assume the forecast is pure fiction and just figure that the worst weather appropriate for the season will occur.

It is generally dry below decks, but we have shipped a wave on occasion and sometimes rain works its way below, usually directly onto your gear. Even if your bag is water proof, place your items in ziplock bags or secured garbage bags before packing them so that all your gear stays nice and dry.

Suggested Packing Lists
* denotes items that we normally have on board, but some folks prefer to bring their own
Red lettering denotes items that are weather-dependant

For a daysail:

Sunscreen* Wide-brimmed hat Lip Balm
Rigging Knife Whistle* Life Jacket*
Swimsuit Towel Boat Shoes
Foul Weather Gear Fleece/sweater Sunglasses w/strap
Sailing Logbook Sailing gloves Hat tie down
Eye drops
Just day sailing/racing (evening actually). Very good stuff, here, I didn't think about the suncreen, eye drops, lip balm and log book. All of these can eb applied before getting aboard so not to bring on extra weight. Thanks!

#5 ·
What kind of boat will you be racing on? There is a big difference between frostbite racing on a Soling, and the Fugawi.

One thing that I would add to your list for either race is bottled water.

#16 ·
I'll know more about the boats afetr this weeks meeting. I imagine theey are more cruising type yachts (25'-33') versus true racers, but you never know. Yes, I plan to have a case of water in my trunk at all times once the season gets started. This will be so much more exciting than golf!

#17 ·
Absolutely. They will have newbie sails on Wed. evenings and the racing is done on Tuesday evenings. I'm pretty sure the newbie sails start weeks before the racing season so I'll have a chance to do exactly what you stated. The best part is, I don't have to join the YC to participate in these events. However, if I find myself bonding with the members well, I'm sure I'll join at some point since the YC is less than 5 minutes from my home.

#8 ·
I'm a newbie so can't post links. Google "Start Sailing Now". That site has very good info for getting started, including how to dress.

Don't forget the beer, or cookies, or Gatorade. Something tasty to share.

A good pair of fingertip-less gloves are one of the best purchases I made for crewing.

Be on time. No, be early! You can help get the boat ready and meet the other crew.

I started sailing by showing up on the dock on race evening and asking around if anyone was short-handed. After bouncing between a few boats over the next several weeks, I finally settled in with a J/30. I've been sailing with them going on three years now.

#19 ·
Thanks, beer seems to be a common theme lol. Got the passport ready to go for down the road. There was a Fast Ferry running out of Rochester, NY offering service to Toronto. I rode it often, as I had clients in Toronto. Sadly, most days I was one of 10 people total on the entire ferry which seated over 800 - 1k. Thus, it went out of business in less than 2 years.

#11 ·
All great responses. Thank you. These will be late afternoon racing for about 4 hours or so. This club has newbie sails on Wed. evenings so I imagine between those Wed. night sessions and my time spent at the GYC as a guest I'll be prepared for the Tues. evening races. I'll know more about the boats they race on later this week. So for now I'm going to search for some gloves that jasenj1 recommended, and google the site mentioned as well. If needed, I'll be prepared to come with beverages as well, as that was a common theme too! Thanks everyone for taking the time to welcome me in. Spring can't get here fast enough!

#13 ·
In the spring it can be incredibly chilly on the lake compared to onshore, especially if the wind is blowing from land. Don't forget a sweater or warm jacket.

#21 ·
Pack a small duffle bag and keep it in your vehicle at all times. Keep to the basics.

The most important thing in the bag will be your gloves. Make sure to have several pairs of good quality sailing gloves ready at any time.
Knee pads if you wear them, sunglasses, sunscreen, change of clothes, a sweater if it gets cold and your foulies.

After gloves the next most important thing you should carry at all times in your bag is a pair of clean shorts; Boxer or Briefs what ever you prefer and dry socks. There is nothing worse than getting off the boat and soaked form head to toe with nothing clean or dry to change into for the dock party, or the ride home for that matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.