SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   On going costs of leaning to sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/96680-going-costs-leaning-sail.html)

Beakster 02-15-2013 11:23 PM

On going costs of leaning to sail

Hi,

So I'm currently living in Montreal and I fancy learning to sail properly. I used to sailing when I was wee, lived on the west coast of Scotland most of my life, maybe the crap weather there made it less appealing but I was never really into it.

So I want to have another shot at it. I understand I should start with a CYA Basic Cruising Course and I've got the costs for that, but what happens next? I'm not in a position to buy my own boat at the moment and I won't be in the country indefinitely. Once I have my qualification do I need to rent a boat every time I want to sail and get some practise? Or are there other alternatives such as sailing with boat owners? I really just want to get an idea of the on going costs of regular sailing before I commit to doing the course.

Cheers

jackdale 02-16-2013 12:41 AM

Re: On going costs of leaning to sail

Look at crewing. Check out the local yacht clubs, sailing clubs, etc..

In Calgary we have a one sailing club is specifically for folks to hook up with others to go sailing. They have monthly socials and yearly flotilla trips.

I chartered with friends, did some flotilla sailing.

Check with your instructor about some possibilities.

luck66 02-17-2013 05:55 PM

Your instructor will give you lots of information about sailing on other boats, and the other students will also be helpful. Some of them may have a boat and need crew. Like most of us sailing will find you once you get started. Once you get out on the water it will all come together.

minsc 03-21-2013 09:04 AM

I don't know if you have the option that I did, but I found a local yacht club that offered a sailing class. I didn't receive any certification, and the class was mainly given to try and get more people interested in sailing. However, I did learn the basics and can take a boat out by myself. I also joined the club, and can take the club boats out any time that I wish without having to pay to rent them, and I have access almost every weekend to crew on someone's boat.

For me, the only cost of learning to sail is the cost of the club membership which is fairly cheap in my area (it isn't an overly fancy club)

denverd0n 03-21-2013 09:24 AM

Ditto. Find local yacht clubs and sailing clubs. Look, especially, for ones that hold regular races. Show up at the dock on race day and you can quite often find a skipper who needs crew. Until they get to know you better, they'll only want you to be a winch-monkey, but at least you'll be out sailing.

Hudsonian 03-21-2013 10:59 AM

Explore Club de Voile Venture Sailing Club. There may be other community sailing programs in your community. Sailing on other's boat is very viable.