Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing On A Shoestring?

I saw the topic, and laughed... the thought was "aren't we ALL on a shoestring?"
Also some of the sail instruction classes offer discount day sailors for rent cheap once you've passed ASA 101 and 103. Especially in the larger sailing areas.

Also, for the record my first 22 foot keelboat cost me $4500, and $1000 a year for a seasonal slip.

I bought a trailerable 14 footer, for $1700, and trailered it for years with free launches. That boat was harder to sail by all measures than my 25 footer is now. Of course launching it was easier, and could be done with a small car.
Old 03-16-2013

80endeaFIX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
I've been sailing a classic gaff ketch for years, doing all my own maintenance.That becomes a tad tedious and I would welcome an offer of help in return for sailing.I leave the dock daily at 1pm so it's not hard to figure the deal. The offer is even on my web page. So far no response. Maybe newbies dream of a plastic Benni while they send out endless resumes.

Where is your boat docked, may be interested.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Offering to be 'rail meat' is a place to start, but indicate that you're eager and anxious to learn and you shouldn't be on the rail too long.

Most clubs and casual racing fleets are welcoming to enthusiastic newcomers. Key here is to be reliable.. ie show up when you say you will, and don't bail because it's raining, or too cold, etc. Reliable crew is a tough find so if you make yourself one you'll be routinely invited back, likely with increasing responsibility as you learn.

You really can 'learn for free'.. if you get lucky you'll experience a variety of boat styles and sizes so that when the inevitable time comes when you want to queer the good (free) deal you've got going and want to buy your own boat you'll have a better idea of what you want!

Just find out when race day is and hang out and ask if anyone needs crew... easy....
+1

I was surprised how I could go down to the marina in Honolulu and get free sails! And if you're only going for a couple hours a race is the best kind! And then it's like a free party afterwards with new friends. It's seriously the best thing you can do for free in this world. Besides surfing. They are both good. You can jumpoff the boat after the race as it pulls into the harbor and surf the breakwater. But don't do it too many times because you're really supposed to help put the boat away.
Old 03-17-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

There is a saying that 1 year of racing is equal to 10 years of cruising. That is definitely true as far as sail trim and boat handling, provided you pay attention to what is going on and your skipper is knowledgeable.

I agree with the advice to volunteer as racing crew. There are also online resources, such as SpinSheet with racing crew wanted ads, a crew wanted subforum here, and a racing crew wanted subforum over on Sailing Anarchy.

Keep reading books about sailing and racing and the history of sailboat racing. Take the free BoatUS courses. Take the USCGA courses. Take the Power Squadron courses. There is a lot of useful information you can learn about navigation, piloting and related subjects available.