SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Starting ASA 101 Next Week (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/97340-starting-asa-101-next-week.html)

TheWollard 03-06-2013 10:32 PM

Starting ASA 101 Next Week

I stopped by the local sailing school and signed up today for ASA 101. Beachside in Cocoa Beach, Fl.

I took home Sailing Made Easy, and immediately read 55 pages and took two quizzes. Can you tell that I'm excited?

I'm putting names to things I've noticed while dingy sailing, and learning about a lot of my past mistakes.

I plan to read the book cover to cover at least twice before attending the 2 day course in two weeks.

Alive3and3Well 03-07-2013 12:15 AM

Re: Starting ASA 101 Next Week

good luck, happy sailing, and welcome!

jackdale 03-07-2013 12:35 AM

Have a great course.

Silvio 03-07-2013 04:28 PM

Congratulations and have fun!

eherlihy 03-07-2013 04:35 PM

Enjoy the course!

Also, take my suggestion and SAIL as much as you possibly can. If the organization that is conducting the class offers boats, make it a priority to get out there and use them. If you meet people there that own boats, offer to crew.

awahl 03-07-2013 08:47 PM

Congrats and have a great time! We took it last season and thought it was great- We're anxiously awaiting spring and more learning on our own boat. Like you- we're at the beginning of our journey into the deep blue (unsalted for us) sea.

Cheers

nolatom 03-09-2013 02:12 PM

You'll do fine, enthusiasm goes a long way, and so does dedication and attentiveness.

Ask questions! It will make it a teachable moment for the class. And after you've left the water each day, skim the book to see how what you did was "right". Some people learn best by doing it first then reading, others vice-versa. But there's no substitute for 'tiller time' so the smaller the class, the better.

"lifejacket overboard" drills are good boathandling practice, ask about them if your instructor doesn't bring up the subject first. And volunteer for the "who wants to..") questions.

I teach ASA Basic Keelboat as a weekend gig, the instructors want to do a good job, and typically appreciate student feedback.

TheWollard 03-16-2013 05:57 PM

I had a fantastic day 1. I was the only person in the class. The wind was light all morning, but picked up after lunch.

I was tacking, jibing, and grinning from ear to ear. The one on one sessions were great for asking questions and trying maneuvers I wanted to practice.

Tomorrow we continue then I take the test.

Lou452 03-16-2013 06:06 PM

Good for you. Keep us posted. Kind regards, Lou

Shinook 03-16-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWollard (Post 1003413)
I had a fantastic day 1. I was the only person in the class. The wind was light all morning, but picked up after lunch.

I was tacking, jibing, and grinning from ear to ear. The one on one sessions were great for asking questions and trying maneuvers I wanted to practice.

Tomorrow we continue then I take the test.

That's one of the other reasons I really liked Beachside.