Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013
big dreams, little boat.

Lateen Luffer is on a distinguished road
Where can I park her?

Hi folks, I'm a new member who has a bit of experience. But what I'm not sure of is where I am allowed to anchor. Can I simply toss the anchor over the side wherever I like as long as I'm not in a marked channel?
Next question: is there any such thing as a public mooring? For instance, I live in Oakland, CA and let's say I sail across the bay to San Francisco. Is there a dock I can tie to for free and go have lunch somewhere? Or should I pay a marina? ~LL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2013

Greenflash35 is on a distinguished road
Re: Where can I park her?

California's anchoring and mooring laws are weird and need therapy. Rumor has it you will pay property tax for the land under your boat. or it's shadow.....
Old 03-10-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Look for a local cruising guide to figure out where the safe anchorages are and what the guest moorage rules are at the different local marinas. I don't know CA, so I can't recommend a specific book. In the PNW that is covered in the Waggoner Cruising Guide, which is updated annually with these details. It's a dry read, but a useful reference.

Around here many of the marinas have free moorage for a couple of hours, so you can arrive, stretch your legs, eat lunch, and head back. The others have very low fees (like 10 cents a foot) for stays under 2 or 3 hours.
Old 03-10-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Charts or chartbooks will frequently be of help. Areas near bridges, military bases, ship wharves, and ship anchorages are restricted in the era of homeland security. On the positive side, some areas are designated as anchorages, which is especially useful when anchoring overnight. Some areas are legal for anchoring, but not desirable because of currents, foul bottoms, exposure to wakes and waves, etc.
Old 03-11-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateen Luffer View Post
Hi folks, I'm a new member who has a bit of experience. But what I'm not sure of is where I am allowed to anchor. Can I simply toss the anchor over the side wherever I like as long as I'm not in a marked channel?
Next question: is there any such thing as a public mooring? For instance, I live in Oakland, CA and let's say I sail across the bay to San Francisco. Is there a dock I can tie to for free and go have lunch somewhere? Or should I pay a marina? ~LL
I believe you can anchor anywhere you like, as long as it is safe to anchor there, and no specific restrictions apply.

By specific restrictions, I mean like the one in Clipper Cove where you can only anchor for so long without permission, ship anchorages, etc.

The main problem in SF Bay is finding spots where you would wish to anchor - ie, not vulnerable to chop, wakes from ships, and so on. There are surprisingly few spots that are both safe and comfortable.

I suggest getting a copy of :

Cruising Guide to San Francisco Bay - 2nd Edition: Robert Mehaffy, Carolyn Mehaffy: 9780939837311: Amazon.com: Books Cruising Guide to San Francisco Bay - 2nd Edition: Robert Mehaffy, Carolyn Mehaffy: 9780939837311: Amazon.com: Books

Old 03-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Local anchorages are local rules. I see one local cruising guide posted above, I'm sure there are others as well in such popular sailing grounds.

Also, try the Interactive Cruising Guide on this website:

www.activecaptain.com

Not only will it show anchorages, but you can read other opinions about the quality of holding, etc. It is a bit like the travel review sites, so you have to sort through it a bit and not take every post like absolute fact.

Occasionally, there are free docks for a very limited time, if a township is trying to get you to come shopping or a restaurant has its own dock for customers. These are very few and even further between.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-13-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Buy, read & memorize Kimball Livingston's Sailing the Bay. It's a must read. Answers all your questions and then some. Welcome to Sailing the Bay.
Old 03-14-2013

br3nt is on a distinguished road

Near the ferry building in SF there's a public dock. It's not very big and I think it's first come - first served but I think you can tie up for an hour or two. I think it's at Pier 1.5.

This link from last year has some info Pier 1.5 set to re-open on May 7 | OCSC Sailing Blog
Old 03-16-2013
O'Day 272 - "Pana-Sea-A"

Mjfossler is on a distinguished road

I second the advice about getting a cruising guide. They are filled with local knowledge.