Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Re: A simple gear question for a new sailor

Dan- you're getting lots of opinions- the water here in June will be in the mid-70's (at least), and is not anywhere as smelly as the Chessy (I've been there, and my shoes still reek), so the spray is usually refreshing... and no, I'm not a local member of the polar bear club! If you anticipate getting wet, bring a light jacket, but you're not likely to get too chilled even soaking wet on the deck of a boat around here in June. I have a certain fondness for WM gloves- they are comfortable, and come in a bunch of sizes, so I buy a new pair every 2 yrs or so. To each, their own, but definitely bring sun protection for being out there for several hours- sunscreen, hat, shades...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

If there is any time when you think to yourself "self, shoulda put a pair of gloves on for that." Then I say take a pair of gloves. They're $10-20 a pair. Not your big expense on your planned trip.

I work with my hands and they are typically tough as concrete. I still like to keep a pair of gloves on the boat. I use them to haul the anchor and occasionally to handle lines, especially if I've been wet for an hour or twenty and my hands are really falling apart. Just another item of gear to have whether you use them or not, at least they don't take up much space.
Old 03-21-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
However, in June of that year it poured every freakin' day I was in the boat, and I soon went to West Marine for their Third Reef gear.
Ditto on the Third Reef foulies- They are great three seasons foulies.
I wear framer's gloves when I wear gloves aboard at all:

Sailing gloves question

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

If you need sailing gloves, you are doing something wrong (or you are racing, where time matters). Brute force is not necessary or effective if you know how to use your equipment. Wrap that line around a winch or the end of a cleat.

Regular gloves are fine for keeping your hands warm when it is cold out.
Old 03-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
here's my $0.02;

You will NEED;
  • sunglasses
  • hat
  • something that covers your ears and back of neck (Kerchief under the hat? or the a hat with wide brim). My wife was calling me "redneck" when I started... See "Tilley" hats to get the idea.
  • shorts
  • SPF 30+ sunblock (I always seem to forget this)
  • Chapstik, or similar
  • something to fix the sunglasses to your person (croakies, or the like). Fish don't need your glasses. DAMHIK...
  • something to wipe the sunblock off the lens of the glasses
  • a rain jacket of some sort (I started with motorcycle rain gear when I first took lessons. However, in June of that year it poured every freakin' day I was in the boat, and I soon went to West Marine for their Third Reef gear. I suppose that I could have donned a trash bag, but I needed something while the bike gear was drying out. I was also getting cooked in the bike gear because it didn't breathe. You don't have to spend a fortune, but you have to ask yourself if you committed to sailing, or if this a trial.)

I now have gloves, and as stated above, feel less tired when I use them. However, I frequently sail with out them. I strongly suggest them for the wife.
Good list.

I like gloves especially if you have to handle anchor line etc. You dont have to have them on full time unless your racing and the fingerless ones are the ones we use. Nothing worse than trying to grab a slimy moooring line with your bare hands.

If you are serious about continueing to sail a good pair of lightwieght foulies will be used time and again. You would be suprised how it saves you from getting cold when wet at even the balmiest of conditions. In the beginning any outside gear will do, but when they come on sale snatch a good pair up which is breathable and you can use to layer with. It can also extend you sailing season so you go out other times it is 80 abnd sunny.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-21-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

I have worked with my hands all my life very rarely wearing gloves even my wife complains how rough they are but when I'm sailing I need my gloves to hold the main sail sheet at times to let it slide thru the fiddler block to keep the main trim without having my boat heel over to much. With out gloves my hands would be worn raw.

I also pull my anchor by hand and a different set ofgloves help keep from getting things clean when I get back to the helm.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 03-21-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

The sailing gloves prevent trashing your hands while playing the lines. That simple. I have horses and sail. I sailed and raced all last season, and there were 2 races when the wind was up (and I singlehand), that I'd have KILLED for gloves. Buy cheap leather tight fit gloves. Weightlifting gloves work, if they are light colored. fingerless is good, because you'll still be able to tie knots. These are not for warmth.

If you are skipper, or mainsheet, guy, you're index knuckle, and palms will get trashed. Mostly from releasing the traveler and/or mainsheet (playing the puffs). If you are grinder for the jib, self-tailers or proper tail/winch will keep you from trashing your hands. Rope burn is real, and hurts a bunch.

For 90+ % of my sails though gloves are unnecessary.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Old 03-21-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I'm not overly fond of gloves; I like to be able to feel when something starts to slip, etc. However, last year I was out on a friend's boat, and the wind was pretty strong. I was working the sheets while he steered. As we began to tack, I released the leeward jib sheet from the cleat thinking that I would hold it in my hand so I could better time the eventual release of the tension. Well, that was a mistake. The jib was under much more force than I thought, and the line pulled through my hand and tore it up pretty bad. I had cuts and blisters for about a week. I learned my lesson that day, and bought gloves as soon as I got home.

I still don't use gloves that often, but when the wind picks up, I grab them.

1975 Albacore 15

Last edited by jimgo; 03-21-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Always bring your foul weather jacket.

It's a show of respect to the Weather Gods. They will favor you by (usually) withholding rain and heavy cold spray.

PS: I was raised in Mass. Bay but even in New Orleans I still am leery of not following this "rule" ;-)
justflie likes this.
Old 03-21-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Gloves are kind of like condoms -- better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them...

We went through a couple of pairs of gloves a year when we were cruising full time. As others have mentioned, for line handling under sail they usually are not needed unless things turn snotty. However, when dealing with a muddy anchor chain they are the bomb.

No need for branded "sailing" gloves -- the work gloves at HD or Lowes will do just fine.
eherlihy likes this.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39