SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Anchoring with changing tides and wind (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/98017-anchoring-changing-tides-wind.html)

northoceanbeach 03-31-2013 02:32 AM

Anchoring with changing tides and wind

I am going to need to anchor with strong tides and changing wind directions. I barely know how to anchor at all. I was just googling anchoring and found some info, but not really what I need.

I need to be able to go to sleep and not worry. I have two Danforth anchor and no dingy. One technique involved taking a dingy to set the second anchor. I would think one wouldn't hold because hen the tide changes direction, even if the wind doesn't, it would swing the boat around and twist the anchor out

From what I understand, Washington has good mud, but I don't know how to do it. I need a technique that can withstand anything. If I am out there and the weather gets bad...

Tim R. 03-31-2013 08:38 AM

Re: Anchoring with changing tides and wind

Best thing is to speak with local sailors on what anchors/techniques they use. You would surprised how much force it requires to pull a good properly set anchor out of mud when swinging 180 degrees.

The new gen anchors set really well in mud. Manson supreme, Mantus, Rocna.

My primary is a Manson supreme and I sleep very well at night. Have never needed to set a second anchor. I usually will find a trusted mooring in anything above 40 kts.

zeehag 03-31-2013 08:54 AM

ok so you HAVE 2 danforth anchors and you WANT to learn how to anchor in the tide and wind change thing.
i hope you have chain. that helps the anchor stay hooked into bottom. 100 ft is good.
watch how the others are anchored and where their anchor is set. then anchor. it only takes practice, so go out and do it.

if someone has only certain anchor, dont tell him to set one he doesnt have...that makes no sense whatsoever.

Tempest 03-31-2013 09:09 AM

Here's a link to a common technique.

American Boating Association:.Anchoring in Changing Wind and Current

Personally, I am rarely 100% comfortable @ anchor. You can set anchor alarms with a GPS, and check how the boat swings through the tidal shift.

If you are anchored with other vessels, you should as Z says take note of their scope and swing

Good luck..

chef2sail 03-31-2013 10:30 AM

First thing first get proficient in setting an anchor. Have one of your friends, old salts show you. Dont drop oit on top of itself in a pile. Make sure you set it with the engine in reverse. Tray and set 7:1 scope if you can at least. Remember the scope figure is to be the depth of the water plus the freeboard at the anchor roller. ( If anchoring in 10 ft of water and the distance from the roller to the water is 7 ft your figure should be 10+7=17 X 7 ( scope)= 119 ft of line + chain.)

I agree wholeheartly with Tim R about the need for one of the new gen anchors. No doubt in my experience the set well, first time in almost all bottom conditions. The second reason I have one is their restting ability. In an area with tides there is usually a point the anchor unsets as the boat changes angle 180 degrees ( current overcomes wind on my boat). The new gen anchors have tremendous reset abilities. We have a Rocna, but the Manson Supreme or Mantus also work well

Also if you anchor in reversing tides and dont have all chain, Employ a kellet. We have 60ft of chain which helps, but the kellet prevents the anchor line from wrapping aorund the keel, boat, rudder when the tide reverses,

Kellets or Anchor Angels / Sentinels: Uses and Applications

Also helps lower the cantennary angle in all but strong winds which helps your already set anchor from pulling

jackdale 03-31-2013 10:33 AM

The Danforth is not a good choice for a primary anchor in the Pacific Northwest. You want something that will stay stuck on a 180 wind shift. The Danforth will trip and then have to reset. I would replace one of them with either a new gen anchor or a Bruce, CQR, etc.. The Danforth is OK as a secondary anchor but not my first choice for that task either.

I do not like anchors that have slots in the shank in areas that get wind shifts.

When anchoring remember to account for changes in the height of the tide. Use sufficient scope for the highest tide.

jrd22 03-31-2013 10:34 AM

It's not as difficult as it seems. Key is to have an anchor bigger than is recommended for your boat (it's big enough if everyone on the dock tells you it's ridiculously big :-)) and enough chain (if not all chain) for the anchor to set and hold properly. The rest just involves getting it to set which is just practice with your boat.
You absolutely NEED a dinghy around here.

Alex W 03-31-2013 10:47 AM

If you sail your way to Seattle I will sell you a 22lb/10kg Bruce-style Lewmar for $20. I don't have any use for it and would love to get it out of my dock box. It worked well with our Catalina 25 and should be oversized for your Ranger 23.

I only used two anchors once. It's not a very common technique around the San Juans, and that is important because you want to swing the same way as other boats in the anchorage.

deniseO30 03-31-2013 12:03 PM

Don't know if this is a help for a sailboat on a river. I need to try someday but most likely never will.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iZvmyJ-vDj8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iZvmyJ-vDj8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

misfits 03-31-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 1010328)
Don't know if this is a help for a sailboat on a river. I need to try someday but most likely never will.

We used to anchor like this fishing out on the ledge all the time. The beauty is this method floats the anchor up off the bottom making it easier to retrieve 600' of rode. I do not believe using a float to retrieve rode on a sailboat would work very well. You need some speed to move the float down the rode.