My Liveaboard Cruising experience with Offshore Sailing School - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013

justflie is on a distinguished road
Re: My Liveaboard Cruising experience with Offshore Sailing School

Great! Fyi, some liveaboard courses assume/require some basic sailing knowledge. Others take you from start to finish.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflie View Post
Great! Fyi, some liveaboard courses assume/require some basic sailing knowledge. Others take you from start to finish.
We are taking the ASA 101 Basic Keelboat and ASA 103 Coastal Navigation courses. They sent us our books and study materials 3 months in advance, and we were told that our 4 days on the water would be designed around our various experience levels. So far the study materials have been a review of material I already learned by reading many sailing books over the past year, but it is all fairly new to my wife. I'm sure we will both learn a lot regardless. Will we be experts? No, but it will hopefully lay a good foundation to learn more in the future, and if it can help my wife relax and enjoy sailing more it will be worth it.
Old 04-16-2013

That should do it. The same goes for the live aboard course. My instructor emphasized that t
Passing the course doesn't make us experts. It gives us knowledge and techniques we need to take home and practice. now all I need is a boat of my own!
jackdale likes this.
Old 04-24-2013

ratherbediving is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting this-- I've taken ASA 101 about 5 years ago and haven't been able to get back into sailing since the kids were born... someday I hope to get out there, and a course like this seems like the ticket... if I can get the other half interested of course
Old 05-06-2013

fendertweed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smier View Post
Thanks for posting about your trip! I just signed my wife and myself up for a 4 day live-aboard course on the Chesapeake Bay this summer. This is only our second sailing season, and my wife is very intimidated by sailboats... She likes boats and the water, but her lack of knowledge and experience on a sailboat makes her nervous. I figured 4 solid days with an experienced instructor would teach us both more than I was able to teach her all of last season. She also agreed that she needed to know at least the basics in case something were to happen to me while we are out on the water.
Knowing my wife, I think(and hope) that she will love sailing after she gets some experience under her belt, and if that happens, it will be money well spent!!! I also have realized my "learn by mistake" self-teaching method has not helped her comfort level...
please report back after your course, OK?

I'm in a similar situation, I have years of experience but would benefit from this course, my wife has far less and needs to build confidence & skills... I'm thinking of getting her on the course with me in '14 or '15.

Thanks,
Jon

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 05-07-2013

I will definitely post a review of our trip, and I'll try and take lots of pictures. I will make up a seperate thread with all the info etc, because I don't want to completely hijack justfly's thread. If justfly doesn't mind, I will link to it here once its up?
My wife has been pretending to not be interested in the class, but a few times I've come home from school or work and I've found her studying the course materials. I can't wait only two more months! Even though we haven't gone yet, I already feel it was money well spent. My wife is actually looking forward to spending 4 full days and nights on a sailboat!
Old 05-07-2013

Smier, feel free to post here about the trip if you would like to. Glad your wife is getting into it.
Old 07-23-2013

My wife and I went on our liveaboard ASA 101/103 course last week. It was awesome and well worth it! We had a blast, and of you'd like to read about it, I have a write up with pictures here:

Anniversary sailing adventure

I've been meaning to do a review on sailnet, but just haven't had the time yet. Would I do it again? Yes!!! Did it help out my wife's mind at ease? It really did, as a matter of fact she is now looking forward to future sailing trips, and we found out that she might be a better captain than I am....
Old 07-23-2013

Good to hear it went well! I just poked my head into this thread a few days ago and thought you might have forgotten to post your experiences. Timing is everything!
Old 07-23-2013

trent.hackett is on a distinguished road

What was the name of the school? Also, what time of the year were you out?

Tags
learn to sail , liveaboard cruising , offshore sailing school