Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: Intermediate sailing class or dinghy class?

I would recommend the keelboat lessons if only for the practice pulling the boat in and out of the slip and maneuvering around the marina. You might not realize how difficult that can be, and dinghy experience won't help you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

How has your wife responded to being in the class? How much confidence does she now have in her sailing skills?
Old 04-09-2013

domromer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the feedback. Right now I'm in a holding pattern for the next few months due to an upcoming move. Otherwise I think my plan would be to buy a small used boat with enough room that we could camp overnight on the boat.

So I think I'm going to go ahead and take both classes. The dinghy class is a few weeks before the intermediate sailing class. My plan is to try to be as confident as possible on the water before i get my wife on the boat.
Old 04-09-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)

Ah, it sounds like your wife has not yet taken a class.
Maybe a class of her own would be an excellent move.
Old 04-10-2013

domromer is on a distinguished road

No the sailing is more of my "thing" the pattern seems to be I try something new, get interested in it and do it often then she tries it. This is a little different as she is not comfortable on the water.
Old 04-15-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Dom,

The last thing you want to do now is turn the Mrs. off to sailing and a dinghy just might do that. We bought a large trailer sailer straight out and started sailing. The boat is a little stiff (I think) so with a little practice I can reduce the leanin' and eliminate the screamin'. If I may be so bold, pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. Lots of great info but especially a section in the back with specs, sketches, pros and cons of 50 or so small to large trailer sailers. It can help you pick out what you like. Two things I'd keep an eye on: head room and head room. One for standing, one for sitting. An enclosed head is always a hit for the ladies. As far as experience goes, you have MUCH more that I had when I motored past the jetty into the Atlantic and hoisted my jib. It was the very first time on a sailboat. I had lots of studying and a USCGA certificate; I wasn't perfect moron. That's takes practice so I had to work way up to it. Check my other posts for a complete listing of unrehearsed foibles. But, here we are, me and my lovely bride, 1200 nm later and still sailing strong. Keep at it. And remember: Reef early, preferably at the dock.

Don
Old 04-15-2013
Water Lover

"Danger Will Robinson!" as they used to say in Lost in Space.
Rushing into an un-shared dream is pretty risky and one reason why a lot of boats are sitting in the marina or rotting in back yards.

Has the OP's spouse been out on a gentle sunset cruise on a nice sailboat with dinner and cocktails served?

Spent a day on a tall ship or wind jammer?

Watched sailing races from the comfort of a club patio?

Had a social chat with sailing women?

Old 04-16-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Buy a used trailer sailor. Read books, sail as often as you can, forget the lessons.
I just signed my wife and myself up for a 4 day liveaboard course. My wife enjoys the water and boats, but is intimidated by sailboats and our lack of experience. It doesn't help that every couple of months she reads about a guy with no experience who buys a used sailboat after reading a few books, decides to sail it home, and proceeds to need to be rescued by the coast guard and makes it into the news or worse... There is nothing wrong with taking classes and gaining more experience, especially if you think you run the risk of turning your wife off to sailing altogether. I'm hoping that the course will help her find a comfort level, because I really believe that she will love sailing, but a bad experience now may turn her off to sailing altogether.

Back to your original question, do you see yourself sailing a dinghy or a keelboat? Which type of sailing would your wife most likely enjoy? That's the direction I would go, because there are enough guys on here who complain about there wives not being willing to sail with them, and I married my wife to spend time with her, not away from her...

I started with the buy a trailer sailor, read as much as I can, and sail as often as I can method. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for my wife... Our kids love sailing, even my mother-in-law loves it, but every time the boat starts to heel slightly the mommy inside my wife goes into protect her babies mode, and she can't relax. Just the idea of going out with an experienced instructor made her agree to spend 4 days on the Chesapeake Bay. This will either make or break my wife as a sailor, but if it helps her enjoy herself it is money well spent.