SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Furling Jib

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Lake Superior Sailor 
#1 ·
Greetings to All,

I am trying to install a furling jib on my Oshawa sailboat. I am confuced as to how to install it. I am unable to find a manufacturer on the system, therefore am unable to research it on the net. My question(s); do I completely remove the forestay and replace it with the furling jib? I have included picture of the system perhaps this will help. Thank you in advance for any info regarding this matter.

Scott

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm a bit confused by the hank at the top of the sail.. I think the double bale is meant to hook onto the forestay to keep the upper swivel half from spinning, and the drum would tack to the deck a few inches behind the stay.. then you tension the wire luff with the halyard and furl the sail just behind the forestay.

But if you use the hank it won't roll up..... Are there hanks the full length of the sail?

#3 ·
on a 15' boat I would think you would need to remove the forestay and replace it with the furler and the wire luff in the sail. the fore stay would be in the way for furling unless there is a way to install the furler behind the forestay with some clearance for the drum. the sail luff needs to be tight to furl and the slack forestay would get wrapped up in the sail

#4 ·
Thanks for the help so far. I have unrolled the jib sail (duh!), there are hanks on the entire length of the sail. Therefore it has to be installed on the forestay? How would one secure it to the mast? I have a regular jib sail, but the furler was thrown in a sail bag. Would like to use it, for the ease, but it is not mandatory. Thanks again for the help.

Scott

#6 ·
You might do better reposting this in gear.

This sort of thing is common but getting it right requires some experience of the particular model. I have to say that the jib hanks are confusing me as the sail appears to have a built in wire luff. On the setups I have used on smaller boats that wire luff would replace the existing forestay. I don't see how you could use the hanks to attach the sail to an existing forestay then use the furler.

#7 ·
This is what I use on my Cal it's made by Schafer, Top swivel turn and slides on fore stay drum clips to deck. Hanks are ignored.lift swivel with jib halyard. Or drop roller furler and use hanks on fore stay , as this furler type works poorly in high winds...Dale

#9 ·
Hi,

I have a barton furler on my boat and its somewhat similar. We kept the forestay. The swivel attaches to the sail and halyard. The drum attaches behind the forestay preferably 3 or 4 inches. I also have hanks on my sail. I found that I had to remove the top hank in order to furl the sail in ANY wind what so ever. Be advised that these furling systems are just that ie the jib is either fully out or fully in. You CANNOT reef the jib with them. Also make sure the halyard is TIGHT'. Heres a photo of our drum sorry about it being blurry.

c_witch

Attachments

#11 ·
I agree with LSS and C_Witch, keep the forestay. The thing at the head of the sail rides up the forestay, and the sail is tensioned by the jib halyard. The furler itself sits just inside the foot of the forestay. I had a very similar setup on my Catalina 25. It worked OK on there, but in good winds it was tough to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.