Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Too big for a sunfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
The overhanging lip around the cockpit of the Sunfish allows you to nestle your feet there so you can hike out all the way, knowing you will not fall overboard.
Is there a hiking strap on the Phantom instead?
Yes, there is a 1.5' or 2" webbing strap down the center of the cockpit for exactly that purpose. I put my feet under it whenever I want to hike out.

I'm not looking to create a Sunfish vs. Phantom debate. There is no debate that Sunfish was vastly more popular than the Phantom. Sunfish was the first one out of the blocks, and the benchmark against which all the imitators are compared, and the boat that you must have if you want to be in the one-design racing class. Vanguard/Laser has kept the Sunfish in production, and the Phantom is still made as the Pointer 14. So they're both good boats.

Most early Sunfishes have a little more headroom under the boom. The Phantom has a little more sail area, but it comes at the expense of a lower boom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-20-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2013

luck66 is on a distinguished road

Sunfish, Sailfish, Snark are all fine boats and fun to sail. After a season or two you will want to move up to a larger boat, and they just keep getting more fun.
Old 05-17-2013
Ali Baba

Alibaba is on a distinguished road

Q.. I noticed a sunfish in my neigborhood. Siiting outside upside down for about 10 years now. i met the owner, now a 30 ` motorboater, He maybe interested in getting rid of it,
There is no sail, no rudder, and no centerboard,,nothiing , Just a bare hull.. No trailrer..What should I offer this guy,
Where can I get parts, ..Sails, rudder, centerboard. I can make a trailor.
Being out in the sun for years, possibe deterioration of the Hull..

I am 170 lbs, 5`10' 62 years old, When I looked up sunfish, they clAim it will plane. I wanted to get another windsurfer, but dont enjoy standiing up All day just how fast is a subfish, Can I cross lake Erie safely (30 miles). Erie to Long point.?? (maybe) could I buy a custom Sail, maybe a roller furler to reef it down in heavy winds..

Thanks for any replys..
Old 05-17-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
Q.. I noticed a sunfish in my neigborhood. Siiting outside upside down for about 10 years now. i met the owner, now a 30 ` motorboater, He maybe interested in getting rid of it,
There is no sail, no rudder, and no centerboard,,nothiing , Just a bare hull.. No trailrer..What should I offer this guy,

I am 170 lbs, 5`10' 62 years old, When I looked up sunfish, they clAim it will plane. I wanted to get another windsurfer, but dont enjoy standiing up All day just how fast is a subfish, Can I cross lake Erie safely (30 miles). Erie to Long point.?? (maybe) could I buy a custom Sail, maybe a roller furler to reef it down in heavy winds..

Thanks for any replys..
A sunfish hull without any hardware is worth almost nothing. If it's waterlogged, it may be worth less than nothing. (You can tell by its weight, but I don't know the weight spec for a Sunfish.) Your best opportunity to find a good set of used parts would probably be with another hull.

I'd suggest shopping around for a used one in sail-away condition before haggling with a neighbor over how much his yard waste is worth. If you get lucky and find a full set of hardware with no hull, then maybe you should talk to the guy about his hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-18-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Yes, there is a 1.5' or 2" webbing strap down the center of the cockpit for exactly that purpose. I put my feet under it whenever I want to hike out.

I'm not looking to create a Sunfish vs. Phantom debate. There is no debate that Sunfish was vastly more popular than the Phantom. Sunfish was the first one out of the blocks, and the benchmark against which all the imitators are compared, and the boat that you must have if you want to be in the one-design racing class. Vanguard/Laser has kept the Sunfish in production, and the Phantom is still made as the Pointer 14. So they're both good boats.

Most early Sunfishes have a little more headroom under the boom. The Phantom has a little more sail area, but it comes at the expense of a lower boom.
@TakeFive (from 3 weeks ago)
I'm not looking for a debate about Sunfish vs. similar models either. I do find the small differences interesting.

@alibaba
Roller furling on a Sunfish?
You could however set up a Sunfish type hull with other sailing rigs: gaff, gunther, Marconi/sloop (main sail only). Some of these might be easier to reef than the Lateen rig it is normally sailed with.

Everybody has one:

Old 05-18-2013

jppp is on a distinguished road

Back in the day before I was able to drive I saved my pennies and bought a Super Sunfish rig. It was similar to a laser rig with Cunningham, outhaul, halyard.....
Unfortunately it was a dog compared to the lateen rig. So I cut a jib out of an old sail and rigged it up. Now it was as fast as a traditional sunfish.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 05-18-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I agree TakeFive ... a Sunfish Hull is worth........ almost nothing without the rig, rudder and centerboard.
Old 05-19-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post

Thanks for any replys..
lol I will bite. A man has made the swim across Lake Erie. Men swim the English Channel. So go for it. Safe is an OPINON and the ability to CHANGE. Lets say you have the best wind and weather ever. You made 5 miles per hour. You have six hours in a wet boat. I would look for a lot more time on the Lake, most trips take more time. I would plan for 12/30 hours. If you use a Sunfish. At 62 years old you could do this with a plan. You lived long enough take a chance Columbus did. The southern ocean has been crossed in a 21' boat
It is the largest fleet or class boat in the world. Parts can be found all over the net. Pros even race them. This must say something about how good this boat is.
If you can make the trailer you can make all the parts and the boat. Plan and go for it.
Have fun, Lou
PS Reef ? just shift your weight. The boat will come back up. Tie the mast to the boat and the center board also. If you turtle in some white caps you will not lose them. The center board is very good at staying in place. The mast is the big deal so be sure to secure it. This has helped me. I did wish I had a cam cleat in some of the wind and surf. It is the most fun you can have on a small boat.
Old 05-20-2013
Ali Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
lol I will bite. A man has made the swim across Lake Erie. . You made 5 miles per hour. You have six hours in a wet boat. I would look for a lot more time on the Lake, most trips take more time. I would plan for 12/30 hours. If you use a Sunfish. At 62 years.

Have fun, Lou
PS Reef ? just shift your weight. The boat will come back up. .

Lou, thanks for the reply.. I was hoping to sail across Lake erie up on plane at about 2-15 knots.. 2 1/2 to 3 hours 30 miles erie to long point, 20 miles north east PA to long point. closer to buffalo, its only 5 miles across..

On second though I`ll pass, i dont want get wet for such a long trip, it might mess up my hair, i spend a lot of time on my hair..

i`ll check the internet for parts and a sail Thanks for the Info..
Old 05-20-2013
Ali Baba

There is no forum section for sunfish boats .. The largets class fleet in the world..

I think this sailfish hull is shot, out in the sun too long.. I wanted to get another Windsurfer, but dont want to stand up all day.. Any other brands of sit down windsurfers Available..??