SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Adjusting from Water to Land (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/99969-adjusting-water-land.html)

Runshari 05-29-2013 03:47 PM

Adjusting from Water to Land

I have what may be a strange question and I'm not even sure what forum it belongs in.

My husband and I took possession of our first boat (Beneteau 352) on Friday and spent the long weekend on it - moved it from Whitehall to Holland, MI and spent time getting familiar with everything. It is now Wednesday afternoon and I STILL feel like I'm on the boat! Do others experience this and if so, how do you get used to the feeling that you're still on the water when you need to function on dry land? (In other words, is this normal?!)

juggleandhope 05-29-2013 03:55 PM

Re: Adjusting from Water to Land

i have that feeling too sometimes, unpleasantly.

DRFerron 05-29-2013 03:56 PM

It is normal.

boatpoker 05-29-2013 04:26 PM

We call it "boat head". The only sensible thing to do is sell the house and move on to the boat :)

Tim R. 05-29-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 1037124)
We call it "boat head". The only sensible thing to do is sell the house and move on to the boat :)

That's what fixed it for us!

Seriously though, moving aboard was no problem except when on land and surrounded by walls like in a shower or on a city street with tall buildings, I would get boat head. Not all the time but occasionally. Now we transition back and forth just fine.

Captainmeme 05-29-2013 04:35 PM

Oh yea, its worst when you take a shower. We get it for a few days after getting off the boat when we've been on it for a long weekend.

bristol299bob 05-29-2013 04:40 PM

I've always called it "land sickness" but Wikipedia is way cooler than me: "Sea legs, dock rock, or stillness illness" Illusions of self-motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As others say its normal. I found that it's effect lessened over the years. It takes more violent motion, or longer time at sea, for the effect to occur nowadays. It it does not last as long either. I rather missed that feeling.

misfits 05-29-2013 04:55 PM

People spend good money to feel like that on the weekends.
In your case it's free :laugher

cthoops 05-29-2013 06:15 PM

Congrats on the new boat!

Mr. cthoops and I bought our first boat this season and have experienced the same thing. Totally normal. I actually kind of like it. It makes me think of our boat.

Silvio 05-29-2013 07:58 PM

Congratulations on the new boat. Like others have said, perfectly normal.

Shortly after I moved aboard a while back I actually fell out of my desk chair at work. Spent too long looking at CAD drawings on my computer, then a sudden swivel in the chair and next thing ya know I was looking up from the floor. 8-)