Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2004

saltygal is on a distinguished road
Living Aboard - What''''s Important in a Marina?

With all that''s been written lately on a bad liveaboard marina, I was wondering what things to think about when looking at marinas for livingaboard.

What makes a good liveaboard marina?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2004

Retention is on a distinguished road

The number one most important point to consider when selecting your marina is are live aboards welcome. Many marinas that advertise for live aboards only do it for the increased revenue. Conversely those that don''t seem to appreciate what a limited number of livebaords can do for the marina. Secondly check out the facilities, i.e. the restrooms. Even though we live aboard we chose to use the marina facilities. Nothing worse than a cold shower in a filthy bath house. And third is the marina convienant to nearby resteraunts, grocery stores,etc. Our perfect marina is one that allows a limited number of live aboards, clean air conditioned rest rooms, and a resteraunt on site.
Old 07-27-2004

Thermal is on a distinguished road

You should also get a feel for the kind of people that live there. Although most liveaboards are great neighbors, there are some places where people live aboard just because it''s cheap, not because its a lifestyle that they choose.
Old 08-20-2004

Magic_Moments is on a distinguished road

The things I look for in a liveaboard marina are clean and private showers. Clean bathrooms since I use both everyday. I like the docks to have some sort of security like a coded access or a key. I have been at marinas where there was no access control and have had look-i-loos peering into my boat windows so I prefer some security even though it can be a pain to meet friends at the gate or parking lot.
I like the shortest walk from shore to boat I can find and nice clean wide docks and floats. If its cold or rainy a short walk is better. I had one finger pier that sank when more than one person was on it. I have had docks that were covered in Goose and Duck droppings where it was hard to find a place to walk.
Friendly marina staff and security guards are another thing I look for. I have yet to meet an unfriendly staff, but some are more accessable and willing to drop what they are doing to help you.

Friendly neighbors...I was considering moving my boat to be closer to some friends boats and at their marina nobody returned my hello''s when I walked by them on the dock. At mine sometimes it is hard to get anywhere without stopping for a short conversation.

Convienience items. I like when the marina has dock boxes at each slip and nice metered power with well lit walkways. All the slips in my marina have a non marking rubber bumper around them to protect the boats. Nice well bedding mooring cleats are nice since I used to worry at my previous marina if the cleats would stay attached to the dock. My marina has washers and dryers, but they are often being used. Luckily there is a large nearly empty laundromat a few blocks away.
Having shopping and restaruants close by is nice. I moored at a marina that has a Safeway across the parking lot, but the trade off was when the town had events many weekends in the summer, the marina parking lot was full. The events were very nice though.
My marina has in addition to brokers and mechanics and boating supply stores, a tanning salon, which I haven''t been in, and a dentist office, which I also haven''t been to yet. From previous experience I have decided I did not like having nightclubs or shipyards in or close to the marina.

After 12 years of trying different places, I am pretty happy although there was nothing drasticly wrong with anyplace I have stayed so far.

Ken
Old 08-22-2004

svdragonseeker is on a distinguished road

I uasully think about avoiding them.
Bill
Old 08-23-2004

Billpjr is on a distinguished road

near shopping
paved parking and access
public transportation nearby
wood docks, not aluminum
security
dink storage area
the person in the next slip has boat experience
trash disposal
pump out facility
fuel
wave and weather protection
correct shore power
freshwater supply
ships store
clean restrooms
no boatyard noise or dirt
sun does not set into the companionway
tiki bar and Jimmy Buffet

Old 08-23-2004

Billpjr is on a distinguished road

Old 08-30-2004

Katmantoo is on a distinguished road

Also consider winter living: does your marina have winter water or do you have to jug it? In hurricane season, floating docks sure are nice for those storm surges and to prevent electricity outages.

As for tiki bars, just make sure they close up shop at a reasonable hour if you retire early.
Old 08-31-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road

My idea of whats important about living on aboat is that you live on the boat and pay the marina to keep it there.Nevermind the amenities,you should have all the amenities you need on board.Its about being self sufficient.The marina I live at actually doesnt allow "liveaboards" but you can stay there as long as you want,get your mail there,its actually called" excessive usage" and it cost amere 60 dollars per month,reguardless of how many people are on board.At most other marinas,they want to see your boat,they want to see your money,but they DONT want to see YOU.
Old 08-31-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road

My idea of whats important about living on aboat is that you live on the boat and pay the marina to keep it there.Nevermind the amenities,you should have all the amenities you need on board.Its about being self sufficient.The marina I live at actually doesnt allow "liveaboards" but you can stay there as long as you want,get your mail there,its actually called" excessive usage" and it cost amere 60 dollars per month,reguardless of how many people are on board.At most other marinas,they want to see your boat,they want to see your money,but they DONT want to see YOU.