Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Interested in liveaboard vessels. Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspru View Post

Another aspect is that being on a travelling sailboat isn't so much about luxury of the body, unless very cozy simple living is your version of bodily luxury, it's more about luxury of the soul and mind, having many different experiences, seeing beautiful scenery, interacting with new people.

What a great summary! May I quote you?
elspru likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to wingNwing For This Useful Post:
elspru (06-14-2013)
Old 06-13-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

For general boat selection, as others have said, you should be able to find something in the $20-$30K range easily for that size, depending on age and condition. Or less: here's a Catalina 27 for $5000: For Sale: Catalina 27- $5000 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums Whatever you choose, determine what makes you feel like you're camping out and address that, otherwise your dream will be short-lived.

Some people believe it best to buy an inexpensive boat and then put in the systems *they* want, if you have the time and skills, you end up with a boat that you know intimately, and learn a lot in the process. This is great if your plans call for living at the dock for a couple of years before heading out (maybe while waiting for that big promotion?) Others prefer getting a boat with many/most of the systems already in place - it may be cheaper in the long run, but you miss the knowledge & control gained.

Can you take a liveaboard/learn to sail course? That will give you familiarity with big boats and their systems, and a better sense of what you're getting into.

Cruising will cost as much or as little as you want, depending on how often you stay in marinas vs anchored out; how complex your boat systems are and how much of the maintenance you do yourself; and what shoreside entertainments you enjoy. Here's our budget for two people cruising the ICW from the Chesapeake to Florida on a 33-footer: The "Life Afloat" Archives: Cost of Living ... Afloat but realize that about $1000 of that is discretionary as ChucklesR pointed out in an earlier thread: if you don't have money for fuel, you sail; if you don't have money for dinners out, you cook aboard; if you don't have money for marinas; you anchor out; and if you don't have money for entertainment, you play cards in the cockpit.
elspru likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-14-2013

elspru is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Interested in liveaboard vessels. Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
What a great summary! May I quote you?

sure thing, all my content is creative commons, attribution, share-alike. Creative Commons ? Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported ? CC BY-SA 3.0

oh and btw, I'm actually a little offended by the derogatory use of camping. Personally I actually prefer camping over living at home, the scenery, fresh air, stars, nature is all way more worthwhile than cars/roads/buildings to me. Also I love swimming in cold lakes just as much as warm ones.
cooking on a fire, and really everything else that comes with it.
Even at home, in this apartment we have, am sleeping on the floor on a camping mat, as I find mattresses too soft and uncomfortable.

Though ya, I'm aware that females in particular have er higher standards for comfort, indeed likely due to being more sensitive -- is why we're likely going to have a hot shower on the boat for my wife. I guess for me the only thing I don't like about the camping experience is the bug bites, and being near the water where it's windy is the best way to avoid them, so naturally a sailboat is the best solution.
Internet also, though ya, guess I don't really miss it when I'm camping. Am kinda looking forward to having slower internet, as we'd be able to watch fewer "shows".
Though am certainly planning on getting data/satellite internet on the boat,
at least for email and occasional forum use.
wingNwing likes this.

Last edited by elspru; 06-14-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2013

Dauntless Brent is on a distinguished road

Just want to add to what a few others have said on here. I have a 29' that I'm in the process of moving onto. Let me share what I have found so far. I took my time and decided to go with the 29' due to the fact that I can single hand and still afford the up keep. Whatever the boat you decide to go with, you will sink a bunch of money into it (unless brand new). Also keep be prepared to sell or give away a good chunk of your belongings, you will live in an area about the size of a 10x12 bedroom. Good luck on your search.