Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road
Re: Downside of living aboard

the downside .. thats easy My boat isnt big enough to have a music room so no drums for me .. thats all I got.
Old 01-07-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We don't live aboard, but we stay aboard about 4 out of every 7 days from May to Oct, with several straight weeks mixed in and a cruise or two.

When its time to go to work, I go home first, clean up, dress and realign my head toward that other life.

Once (and only once to date), I brought a suit and tie to the boat to shower and go work work directly. Total buzz kill !!!!!! I will never do it again, if I can avoid it. This would be a serious downside to living aboard, pre-retirement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I lived aboard my 32 footer for eleven months between houses when I moved to Miami.

I got tired of not really having any space that was mine except for the boat.

But, my harbormaster and his wife, had been living aboard for thirty years, and were happy as clams (in a 51 foot houseboat). When you got inside their place, you barely knew it was a boat. My son asked them why their was a steering wheel in their house, once, when we visited them, later.

But, I also lived on my 42 foot sailboat four about 8 months, while cruising, mostly anchoring out, and I never got that claustrophobic feeling. So, there are pros and cons to being tied up to the dock versus at anchor, when you live aboard.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 01-19-2014

tadavidson is on a distinguished road
Love the Sea Life

This is my third (could be final, as in never go back to land again) time living aboard. I have lived on a mooring off Shelter Island in San Diego, in marinas in Mission Bay, Channel Islands Harbor and now Ventura Harbor. The first two times ended not by my choice, and when I bought my fourth sailboat in 2011, I could not have been happier. I was getting my life back again! Moved aboard in 2012 and now happily share my 32' space with my awesome Schipperke, Tanner (a dog). Everyone else has pretty much gone through the up and downsides of LA, but I don't think this was mentioned.

Might be because there are fewer women doing this alone than guys, but the biggest challenges for me besides those already mentioned, have to do with socializing and dating. I, for one, never want a guy I'm dating to come to my sailboat until I really know, trust and believe there will be something significant from the relationship. That means not getting picked up for dates, not inviting them home, and if sailing, I meet them with my boat at a nearby dock (like the fuel dock). I am just very protective of my safe place, which is my sailboat and slip in my Marina. That, and land-based people not getting why this is for me, is a tough one. Friends will think it sounds really great, but they don't know the reality from their romantic notions of "getting off the grid."

So when others come aboard, I end up feeling like a control freak, neurotic person with regard to how they treat my boat/ home. When they go sailing with me, and get scared in big blows, I tell them not to worry. I know what I'm doing and don't intend to render myself homeless. :-)

These are but a few of the social issues that I find an ongoing challenge. Any others with stories or thoughts on this?
Old 01-20-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

You bring up a good point. Most land people don't understand that a live aboard boat is somebody's home. To the majority, a boat is a place to spend a day out "boating" to have fun.

Personally, TA, I understand your need for security completely. I hope to be joining you in living aboard in the very near future (not with you personally, though I am single ) and I am always aware that boats are no where as secure as a home or even the average car. I try not to dwell on that too much
bljones and jimgo like this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

ta?
"That means not getting picked up for dates, not inviting them home, "
If you lived in a plain little house with a white picket fence on a village street, would you have the same policies about "No one comes to my home" ?
There can be perfectly good and valid reasons for that, don't misunderstand me. But for most folks, yes, that could be bordering on paranoia. Or trust issues, or simply poor choices in dates. In any case, I don't see the boat being relevant to any of it, unless you would do things differently at home.
Old 01-21-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

having lived aboard many different kinds of boats since 1990, i still find no down side......
unkle toad...get a formosa 41. there is enough room for a trap set in main saloon...i swarez.....ye can even sail with em up...lol and still get into baño.....rodl

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 01-21-2014

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

I was trying to look at one.(formosa 41) called and emailed the broker half a dozen times. never got a call back .. I ended up going with a different boat.
Old 01-21-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Toad View Post
I was trying to look at one.(formosa 41) called and emailed the broker half a dozen times. never got a call back .. I ended up going with a different boat.
I looked at one of those, too. It needed too much work, but it sure had a lot of room in it for a 41 foot boat.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-16-2014

olysux is on a distinguished road

good info