Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree201Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2014

John Casey is on a distinguished road
Re: Downside of living aboard

This is a great thread for someone new to the forum, and as a aspiring live-aboarder.

My wife and I are currently on a 5 year(ish) plan to start or long-term LA cruising.

She starts her sailing lessons in May
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Seems there's two types of liveaboards being discussed:

- ones who are tied to the dock forever, never use for its intended purpose and know little about a boat.
- ones like CruisingDad and Wingnwing who liveabord but use their boats for its intended purpose and are very knowledgeable.

I think I will be the later

I was talking with a member at our club who is a liveaboard...we were discussing our recent electric bills due to the extreme cold weather we've had in Maryland this winter. His electric bill was more than my gas & electric bill combined and my house must be 20 times the sq ft. According to him, this includes a carpet on the sole and some insulation here and there, plus only keeping the cabin in the low 60 high 50 F. Sounds like a downside to side to living aboard in a cold climate to me!? Heading South is the correct answer to this problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-03-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Seems there's two types of liveaboards being discussed:

- ones who are tied to the dock forever, never use for its intended purpose and know little about a boat.
- ones like CruisingDad and Wingnwing who liveabord but use their boats for its intended purpose and are very knowledgeable.

I think I will be the later

I was talking with a member at our club who is a liveaboard...we were discussing our recent electric bills due to the extreme cold weather we've had in Maryland this winter. His electric bill was more than my gas & electric bill combined and my house must be 20 times the sq ft. According to him, this includes a carpet on the sole and some insulation here and there, plus only keeping the cabin in the low 60 high 50 F. Sounds like a downside to side to living aboard in a cold climate to me!? Heading South is the correct answer to this problem
Two points to add.:

There is a third LA type. It is a hybrid of type 1 and 2. Those who are living aboard preparing to leave and cruising weekends. We are at year 4 of our 5 year plan and will leave a year early when we toss off the lines in May.

In Maine our total heating costs are about $1000 for diesel fuel. Electric is another $400 for Oct-April. Electric is free the remainder of the year. This is much less than I ever paid for our 2,200 sq. ft. home. Our boat is 40ft. and we keep the heat around 65° because that is comfortable for us. 70° is too warm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-03-2014

cranki is on a distinguished road

There are plenty of knowledgable sailors living aboard and not cruising. I am one and my neighbors are more knowledgable and experienced than I am. Also, I heat with electricity and am on a set monthly fee. There are no meters on the docks and I use a lot of power running 3 space heaters full time.
Old 04-30-2014
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651

I have been living aboard my 1972 Contest 33 for two years now. I bought my boat for a low price and it needed a lot of work. I have replaced chain plates, painted the decks and added non skid, replaced the life lines, (learned how to splice double braid doing that) I have replaced the electrical panel and switches, I still have to fuse other wiring on board. I just got the old girl off the hard and back to the dock. I painted the bottom, replaced all sea cocks, replaced a thru hull, removed the engine that was seized up, repacked the stuffing box,replaced the old prop with a 3 blade, stripped out the head added another bilge pump. I still have a lot of work ahead of me but I am getting there.
I don't sail because the sea cocks were so old and corroded they fell apart when I touched them with wrench. I knew they were bad but I didn't realize how bad they were. I had to sail it to where it is now. You want to see a scared stink pot owner sail your boat out of the marina past his 50ft Scarrib he just bought new. Good times indeed.
I will now put in electric drive and when that is done I will get out there and back to it. I am also on a 5 year schedule to get my contest 33 into shape where I feel safe sailing it. I did a lot to move towards that goal last week. And in a month or two I will have it out and learn how my boat performs and get that under my belt too.
I would say that if you are living the dream of others you read about when you climb on your new old boat to live you will fail. I like to tinker, I like to stay busy, I don't need a lot to be happy,I like minimal living and being off the grid survival.To me it's the challenge that makes it all worth while. Have I had a bad day on my boat sure I have. You probably heard me cuss it like the sailor I want to become.
But I get back in the game learn and ask others how to do it and fix what needs fixing. I have a job and work 6 days a week but I set achievable goals and try to do one thing a week while at the dock.
My boat like I said is not close to where I want it but now that I feel safe to sail it I can do a lot on the water while cruising. And did you really buy a boat to sit at a dock? Not me I'm going under the radar. Self sufficiency is where it's at in my mind. If you would like to see have a peak below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
Old 05-01-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Actually, there is a fourth type of liveaboard (if there must be labels), which is what I'm doing presently.

Having spent a year refitting and preparing, I then cruised until I stopped to work for a while. Now that I've re-retired, the urge to go back out isn't as strong, especially as I essentially have to go through much of the refit process again (the time and effort I don't mind, the money though is a factor).

So, I find myself in a very good financial situation staying put for now. Thing is, everyone does what they do for a reason that is good for them. Whether it's good enough for anyone else, doesn't matter. For myself, I don't really give a hoot what anyone else does with their boat. There's more than enough people around here worrying about who motors to much, who stays at the dock too much, who doesn't trim their sails enough, etc..

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-01-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I lived aboard by boat for eleven months one time, between houses, when I had really only planned on doing it a month or two. It was in Miami and I have to admit I found myself getting to the office early, and leaving late. It was claustrophobic to me at the pier. I was glad when it was over.

But, I lived on my boat for 8 months when cruising, out on the anchor, mostly, and I wasn't even about ready to come home when it was time, financial wise, to return.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-01-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

y'all forgot the fourth grouping.. those out cruising who are forced essentially into marina living during storms and repairs....lol covers a few of us in furycameville, west coast mexico ... i know there are others in similar spots, as cruising IS repair of boat while in exotic locales....
(realizing, of course, that not all are full time cruisers with no desire to return to wherefrom they left)
aeventyr60 likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-01-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Sorry zee, I already copped 4th, you'll have to go with 5th.
zeehag likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-01-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

fifth isnt bad either.. gives ye lee way as most tend to incrimminate selves....rodlmffao

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward