Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree236Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013

elspru is on a distinguished road
Re: Downside of living aboard

What I really like about this thread, is that unlike the "just do it" threads, it encourages planning, knowledge ahttp://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/living-with-phytic-acidnd skill acquisition before getting a boat.

It's a great reminder, since there is repair and maintenance saturdays at the yacht club I'm at so can partake and learn requires skills on other peoples boats, so can do it with relative ease once we get our own boat, while helping them with their boats now. It's also good karma or manna for later when maybe someone will help us repair our boat.

I especially like that cruising blues article, it is very reassuring, since we love nature, the waves, sun, stars and shorelines, as well as being together all or most of the time. It's also a curious article as it describes the kind of confrontation that happens on any hermitage, when a person must face and come to terms with their inner selves,
as I went through that process years ago on a hermitage it's fond memories of tough times. My heart was really racing at those beautifully scenic descriptions of the waves and the weather.

Our Zen calendar for July says "We can never make peace with the outer world, until we make peace with ourselves" - Dalai Lama
I really take it to heart.
And so have made peace with Sabbag's relentless promotion of large boats, especially since I recently saw this faboulous video of a multi-generational family living aboard, cruising the carribean for over 2 years doing missionary work, can't tell how big but I'm guessing a 50 footer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfnzdtVO5Zw
I'd love to go sailing/cruising with multiple generations, or an intentional community, doing missionary work also sounds like fun. Like the old adage goes "many hands make light work", so can make maintenance on a large boat manageable.

Last edited by elspru; 07-02-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013

jon63 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Downside of living aboard

Im looking for a boat but am 6:4'' and in fife, do the marinas take housing benefits does anyone know ? or conversely is there anywhere with a comunity , I must have a community as im a t.i. a targeted individual of gang.stalking. of which 7 million websites exist. I would like to meet other t.i.'s jon in fife.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really excellent observations. I have only been living aboard for a few months, but the one best piece of advise that was given to me was to keep realistic expectations..of yourself, your needs, and the boat. I live simply, but I live well. My boat is my home, but it is a boat first and foremost. Basic maintenance and safely come before beautification.

Unfortunately, I see many in my marina that see their "boat" as purely a cheep means of living. They don't sail, they know nothing about their boats, and know absolutely nothing about basic maintenance. A few weekends ago, once such boat took on over a foot of water while the owners were away. Many of us rushed over to bail the boat out. When they returned, I started asking them basic questions regarding through hulls and other possible areas of ingress. They just looked at me like I was speaking Greek. There is no excuse to not have a basic understanding of your boat, especially when it is your home.

Speaking to the financial bit, many people are lured into the dream of living aboard thinking that it will be cheap. Boats are a constant project, especially for us with 30+ year old boats. I love working on mine, but I find sensible ways of doing it. Down in Annapolis there is a fantastic store that sells used items. Without them, I wouldn't be able to afford to work on my boat.

I don't want this thread to scare away any potential liveaboards, it can be a really wonderful and rewarding lifestyle. But it is important for people to do their research and understand the ups and downs. And above all, be realistic![/QUOTE]

Last edited by jon63; 07-02-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: new here, the sites difficuilt to interact with,so made mistake.
Old 07-02-2013

jon63 is on a distinguished road

I want a livaboard but am 6:4'' and live in fife. so head rooms a problem, are there any marinas which will take housing benefits ? Also ; is there anywhere one can live free on board?
I would need a community as im a targeted individual of gang . stalking of which there are CURRENTLY 7 million websites.. any t.i.'s out there who wanna start a liveaboard community please get in touch 07967 525 857 jon in fife .
Old 07-02-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Now there's an offer! Maybe post THAT in crew avaialble forum!!
Old 07-02-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon63 View Post
I want a livaboard but am 6:4'' and live in fife. so head rooms a problem, are there any marinas which will take housing benefits ? Also ; is there anywhere one can live free on board?
I would need a community as im a targeted individual of gang . stalking of which there are CURRENTLY 7 million websites.. any t.i.'s out there who wanna start a liveaboard community please get in touch 07967 525 857 jon in fife .
?
Old 07-02-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
?
Removing my comment bc if he really is being stalked, no need to point where he's at.

Last edited by shadowraiths; 07-02-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

bubblehead, after all those years in subs, how did you manage not to get agorophobia on a 30 footer? Kept to the lazarettes and v-berth? (G)

jon-
You might mention the UK up front, your questions and phone number would come across as most peculiar to this mostly Colonial forum. And if you are being pursued by gangs, posting a phone number on a public web site of any kind is generally a very bad idea.

Last edited by hellosailor; 07-02-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2013

Vartok is on a distinguished road

My 2 cents:

I have been living aboard a Columbia 28 for over 5 years, I say that because I can't remember how long is been without pulling out my boat title . At the time 28ft was all I could afford. Every now and then I dream about going larger, until I start doing the math and decide that I don't need to take out that boat loan. These are the struggles that I have had:

1) Space for "stuff" - If your a pack-rat you will never make it.

2) Air conditioning / Heating

3) Refrigeration - I used an ice box for years, I was never happier than when I broke down and installed refrigeration

4) Ice - Who knew?

5) Hot water - Still working on that one

6) Shower - This is what will finally push me to a larger boat
shadowraiths likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vartok For This Useful Post:
shadowraiths (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartok View Post
Every now and then I dream about going larger, until I start doing the math and decide that I don't need to take out that boat loan.
Although I've only been aboard for a year and a half, I have and do sometimes dream about going larger, and have repeatedly reached the same conclusion as you. Even though I've created a "what if" budget that says, yeah, you could afford to take out a loan on that larger boat, I admittedly prefer to be debt free.

Now, if I had it to do over again? That is, picking the boat? Or rather, picking something as small as a 27 footer? That's a tough one. I think most expand to the space they live in. So, to my mind, bigger primarily equals more room for more stuff, which I really don't need. And sure, newer boats are pretty... eye candy wise. Otoh, my boat *feels* like my home. And of all the newer boats I've checked out, well... am sure they would too, eventually...

But for now, I love my funky little sailing home. Though, I am putting money aside in the event I stumble upon another boat that speaks to me the way this one did... while at the same time, I have decided to invest more seriously in fixing this rig up... already knowing it's money that won't be recovered, should I decide to trade up.
Old 07-21-2013

D3vildog is on a distinguished road

I never thought of that, keeping the boat ready to sail. A great advice. We have a sailboat, we should use it as a sailboat as much as we can. That will keep our juices floating and keep us moyivated