Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013

jmshaver is on a distinguished road
Re: Downside of living aboard

I've been living aboard in Toronto for four years. I don't think twice about it anymore. It has become second nature.

Advantages:

- I feel absolutely confident with all of my on board electrical and plumbing
- I am now somewhat proficient with wood work, and beginning to take the plunge into glass work.
- I sail whenever I like (at least in the spring - summer - fall)
- I have a 20 minute commute to my downtown work via bicycle; but when I get home at night, I don't feel like I am in the city.
- I save tons of money vs living in the city.

Disadvantages

- It's a bit sad when the wrap goes on for the winter
- Showering at the marina is a bit of a pain (I don't shower on-board for moisture reduction reasons)
- Worst of all, if I have to answer the question "Doesn't it get cold in the winter" one more time, it may go badly for the person who inquires.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2013

jmshaver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post

Yet, it has been documented that breathing the air from that plastic, (especially as the sun heats it up), is slowly poisoning your liver, (or is it kidneys - I am not sure), which is irreversible. So, living in a plastic bag, besides the esthetical negatives, also has long term medical implications.
Being one of the people that does exactly that, not strictly for insulation purposes, but also for the longevity of my deck, I am curious to know more. Do you have an articles or links available on this topic?
baloccad likes this.
Old 10-25-2013

D3vildog is on a distinguished road

Now that's what I call, "adjust, adapt and improvise" !!!

Nick Biangel
South Florida
Old 11-17-2013

luhtag is on a distinguished road

For me living aboard was the only option. Graduated college, got a job, bought a 25 Hunter Cherubini, and lived aboard for three years in Michigan. Winters up on stilts.

Later on when my wife agreed to get a boat and live aboard with our three kids it was a different story. But she toughed out the transition with the patience of Job and it's been an adventure ever since. Leaky hatches, passing hurricanes, cramped quarters, etc... Fun times.

A family of five on a 40 footer can become tedious. So we sold it and bought a 50'. Life is now grand. The extra ten feet is like going from a condo to a McMansion. I've lived aboard for about 14 years. The family, coming up on 4.

It is hard to give would-be live aboards advice. Living aboard requires some sacrifices. But you also get many rewards. Most buddies who'd give anything to move on to a sailboat stare longingly into the anchorage while their wives stand firmly behind them tapping feet, arms crossed, and a scowling brow.

IMO the rewards you get are spiritual and/or natural. For a successful live aboard you must be someone who prefers being close to the elements over impressing 'friends' with a huge unpaid house. If a storm excites you then living aboard might be your thing. If you are a shopaholic and compete for material things then maybe not. If you desire hard edge simplicity then it might be fore you. Elaborate landscaping and a maid? Not so much.

I don't think there's any one thing, item, boat, or whatever that can guarantee success. It comes down to personality, type of character, outlook on life, and vision of the future. Why do you want to live aboard? To live the tropical dream? That may not be enough. Moving aboard is like losing weight. Fad diets always fail. You must change your entire lifestyle forever.
Old 11-17-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhtag View Post
For me living aboard was the only option. Graduated college, got a job, bought a 25 Hunter Cherubini, and lived aboard for three years in Michigan. Winters up on stilts.

Later on when my wife agreed to get a boat and live aboard with our three kids it was a different story. But she toughed out the transition with the patience of Job and it's been an adventure ever since. Leaky hatches, passing hurricanes, cramped quarters, etc... Fun times.

A family of five on a 40 footer can become tedious. So we sold it and bought a 50'. Life is now grand. The extra ten feet is like going from a condo to a McMansion. I've lived aboard for about 14 years. The family, coming up on 4.

It is hard to give would-be live aboards advice. Living aboard requires some sacrifices. But you also get many rewards. Most buddies who'd give anything to move on to a sailboat stare longingly into the anchorage while their wives stand firmly behind them tapping feet, arms crossed, and a scowling brow.

IMO the rewards you get are spiritual and/or natural. For a successful live aboard you must be someone who prefers being close to the elements over impressing 'friends' with a huge unpaid house. If a storm excites you then living aboard might be your thing. If you are a shopaholic and compete for material things then maybe not. If you desire hard edge simplicity then it might be fore you. Elaborate landscaping and a maid? Not so much.

I don't think there's any one thing, item, boat, or whatever that can guarantee success. It comes down to personality, type of character, outlook on life, and vision of the future. Why do you want to live aboard? To live the tropical dream? That may not be enough. Moving aboard is like losing weight. Fad diets always fail. You must change your entire lifestyle forever.
Well said !
Old 11-17-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhtag View Post
Most buddies who'd give anything to move on to a sailboat stare longingly into the anchorage while their wives stand firmly behind them tapping feet, arms crossed, and a scowling brow.
Sounds so familiar
dmchose likes this.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 11-21-2013

navyitc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranki View Post
My 2 cents after living aboard in the northeast for exactly 1 year.

I moved aboard after my divorce and bought the boat for that purpose. It was a dream of mine when I was younger and seemed to make some financial sense. I have an older Pearson 30 that is for sale and I never really considered her as a live aboard.

I am comfortable and gaining confidence as a liveaboard heading into year 2.
Being in that position now of working my way thru a divorce and moving to Hawaii as my next duty station. I looked at rentals and always found myself wanting to be as close to the ocean as possible and then realized I have always loved the sea and love sleeping onboard the ship. Probably why I have 11 years sea time out of 16 years in the Navy. So with that said and some sailing lessons under my belt and being mechanically inclined I decided come end of December I will start the next chapter of my life with the thing I love the most the ocean and a sailboat. Thank you all for all your inspiring advice!!!
Old 11-21-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

I lived aboard for nearly 20 years and I do miss it. For maybe half of that time, I worked and did some traveling in my engineering job of consulting so I was not on the boat 24/7 However, I've spent winters there and while it did limit my ability to go on day sails which I did quite often during other times of the year, I still enjoyed it. If you enjoy backpacking into wilderness areas then living aboard will be a luxury. I still have the boat and get to it maybe twice a year for sailing the Chesapeake and exploring new areas and miss the sailing. But I also enjoy living in the mountains and hiking and biking. The most depressing thing that I observed while living aboard was the ever increasing regulations which seem to limit your freedom.
Old 01-06-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I only lived aboard for six months in the Florida Keys - in the blink of an eye, I would be a full time live aboard, but I'm crazy as a $hit house rat, so it probably doesn't matter. My wife of 51 years, on the other hand, thinks living aboard is not at all fun. I love it, met some of the greatest people I've encountered in my entire life, love them all, and if I'm still alive and able in 2015, I'm going to sail south to Marathon again. Damned I hate living on land in the People's Republic of Maryland!

Gary
sailordave and jimgo like this.
Old 01-07-2014

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

When I revisit this post I realize that I have no valid information about the "downside" of living aboard. In order to know the "downside" you have to have the life on shore for comparison. My wife and I have never lived in a house as adults, although we grew up in our parent's houses. We've been living aboard for forty-three years now. Maybe we'll learn what the downside is when we try living on shore sometime in the future. Until then, things are pretty good on the boat!
dmchose likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew