SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Downside of living aboard

56K views 160 replies 70 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
I've been perusing various liveaboard blogs, and one thing I notice, is, several months in, the blogger sells their boat and moves back on land.

Bc of this, I wondered why that is.

One common thing it seems, is that most failures involve derelict boats. You know the sort, engine doesn't function, the inside is rotted out, the thing leaks like a sieve, electrical causes all sorts of damage, etcetera and etcetera.

Another thing I've noticed is that, when these bloggers start out, they are full of excitement. They spend the first few months working on their new old boat. At some point, they run out of money, energy, and/or time. So, they throw in the towel and move shore side.

The most interesting, imho, thing, is that the majority seem to focus upon making their new old boat pretty, as opposed to functional. Or at least, non-sinkable, non-leaky...

As most sailnetters are aware, lots of people show up, ready to live the dream. I was one of them a year and a half ago. Imho, the failures are those with arguably, unrealistic expectations. Mostly in the financial area, it seems. But also in their perception of what the dream is.

This leaves me wondering, what percentage of people who move aboard stay? Also, what is the most common reason for failure?

Anyway, just curious. That, and, I figure it wouldn't hurt to have a thread discussing the "downside" of living aboard. Not to crush anyone's dream. Rather, to put some realism back into the equation.

See less See more
#2 ·
The most interesting, imho, thing, is that the majority seem to focus upon making their new old boat pretty, as opposed to functional. Or at least, non-sinkable, non-leaky...

Imho, the failures are those with arguably, unrealistic expectations. Mostly in the financial area, it seems. But also in their perception of what the dream is.
THIS and THIS!

Really excellent observations. I have only been living aboard for a few months, but the one best piece of advise that was given to me was to keep realistic expectations..of yourself, your needs, and the boat. I live simply, but I live well. My boat is my home, but it is a boat first and foremost. Basic maintenance and safely come before beautification.

Unfortunately, I see many in my marina that see their "boat" as purely a cheep means of living. They don't sail, they know nothing about their boats, and know absolutely nothing about basic maintenance. A few weekends ago, once such boat took on over a foot of water while the owners were away. Many of us rushed over to bail the boat out. When they returned, I started asking them basic questions regarding through hulls and other possible areas of ingress. They just looked at me like I was speaking Greek. There is no excuse to not have a basic understanding of your boat, especially when it is your home.

Speaking to the financial bit, many people are lured into the dream of living aboard thinking that it will be cheap. Boats are a constant project, especially for us with 30+ year old boats. I love working on mine, but I find sensible ways of doing it. Down in Annapolis there is a fantastic store that sells used items. Without them, I wouldn't be able to afford to work on my boat.

I don't want this thread to scare away any potential liveaboards, it can be a really wonderful and rewarding lifestyle. But it is important for people to do their research and understand the ups and downs. And above all, be realistic!

#3 ·
This leaves me wondering, what percentage of people who move aboard stay? Also, what is the most common reason for failure?
Glad to see you are still here, I have been gone for about 9 month, I hope to see you around for a years yet, Take care and Fair Winds.

Reactions: shadowraiths
#6 ·
You bring up a good point on derilct boats. When I was a young kid all those years ago, my best friend lived in Pa and spent the summers aboard with hs mom on a 33 foot owens. The boat looked good. The paint was shiney, the teak was treated, the insides vacuumed and polished... but the engines were never hooked up, the generator was long gone, and rot had ripped the planing boards off of the stern years ago.

She was basically a floating apartment that they towed from the slip to the travelift and back again every spring and fall.

#7 ·
We will be aboard 3 years this coming October. We chose this lifestyle as an adventure and to prepare for some long term cruising, not as a way to live cheap. We bought the best boat we could with cash and with plenty of cash left for upgrades. I am experienced with most all boat systems and we do all our own work except for haul-outs. So one of the worries most people have we eliminated - finances. We also bought a boat that was actively being cruised so we did not have any immediate maintenance concerns. We could upgrade when we liked.

How was this possible? We worked hard for many years saving the money to fulfill our dream. No shortcuts. We continue to work hard and save so we can enjoy an extended cruise in the future.

#8 ·
This could be a great thread and probably a must-read for those looking to do this life.

We have been living aboard with kids on/off since circa 2000. Now on our second LA boat.

I think most people move onboard for the dream - a lot like the camping trailer dream. They work a hard job and the thought of coming home to a boat where they can relax and chill is very exciting. Many of these people owned the boat beforehand and work stressful jobs, and noticed when they go to their boats, they are relaxed. Naturally, the thought of just living on the boat F/T must mean they would be relaxed F/T... right? THat is basically the Camping Trailer Syndrome. These people buy Camping trailers so they can get away from it all because when camping, they are relaxed. For the first three months, they are gone every weekend. Then the house starts needing repair. The trailer has things breaking. The job has him working weekends, etc. Six months - 12 months later, the trailer's for sale. Same with boats.

A second reason (and I think one of the biggest) is people fail to realize the boat is their home. It is not just a boat anymore, it is their HOME. That is why you see me going crazy on here when people start talking about cruising on a racer. Really??? All the stuff you didn't put on your boat when you weekended on it, you now have to find a place for. Most live aboards have crap sticking out of every crevice. We have to carry a suit(s), all the extra filing, warm and cold weather clothes, blankets in summer, books, family pictures, etc. Many get a storage unit to take some of this load off, but still, we really stuff our boats. So when people go out and buy boats, and they get a boat that cannot accommodate all this stuff, their little home just got a whole lot smaller. It gets cramped and uncomfortable. The air condition breaks and it is expensive and time consuming to fix. Moisture leaks on you in the middle of the night. The bilge breaks and everything else comes to a stop (including vacation or going to work). The water pump goes out and you are now showering at the marina (walking to the bathrooms carrying all your stuff in front of God and country) and you are cooking and drinking out of a pitcher of water. It rains and that leak you thought you fixed is dripping all over your computer and upholstery. It does not quit raining for three or four days (we have had two weeks straight, once) and you are absolutely going out of your mind and stir crazy. All of this stuff has happened to me at one point or another... and a whole lot more. This is the reality of living aboard, not the dream of what you thought it was. Either you deal with it, or you do what many (most) do, and say screw this! I want my house back.

THird, as mentioned earlier, expenses. There are a select few who can manage to live aboard with little to no costs. I mean, it is just a floating hull, right? Wrong!! For 99% of us, living aboard is generally much more expensive than living in a house/apt. In addition to paying absurd prices on marine items, you have dockage and insurance and maintenance. THose who are skirting by without insurance are in for a rude awakening. I see all of that changing. We have not been at one (NOT ONE) marina in the last few years that did not require insurance. Even the mooring fields are beginning to require it. TO get insurance, you have to have a survey (at your expense). To pass the survey, you have to have your boat in acceptable condition ($$$$... and all marine grade/ABYC standards). So those who pictured a 'free' boat and 'cheap' living are now exhausting their paychecks and savings just to scrape by. This is made worse because many people that are just starting off living aboard are new to boating (or boating on large boats). They don't know how to fix crap, so they either fix it wrong and screw it up (what do you mean I can't use the wire nuts I got at Home Depot??) or they are paying professionals to come out and do it for them which really eats up their money. Before long, they are walking away from their boats - broken and broke.

The last set I see that don't cut it are the moderately wealthy. They have this dream of 'living the life' - you know, Margaritas and sunsets. Marley and Buffet. Exotic Islands and fabulous beaches all to their own. Of course, they have never lived aboard before and one thing all cruisers have in common: we all live aboard. So they sell their 3-5000 sf house and put everything in storage. They read enough from the 'experts' who tell them if it isn't a Valiant or Pacific Seacraft, they are risking their lives leaving the dock. They dump hundreds of thousands in this boat and move aboard... only to find out the boat is uncomfortable and tight as hell. Even the Valiants have to ride the Waves and they get sea sick. Everytime they turn around, something breaks. You can't have air conditioning 24-7. You have to haul water. The storms can scare the ****e out of you and one really good one can take your life... yes, even on your Valiant. Before long, Momma says screw this and they go back and buy the house. They begin to use the boats periodically on the weekend. Then once a month, a year, and before long, it is for sale.

So, why do people fail at living aboard? Because the reality is different than the dream. But that is not something they can be told. It is something they must learn. And this does not mean the reality is bad... but it is different.

My suggestion to those considering living aboard: Triple the costs you think you will spend on the boat, buy the newest and most comfortable boat you can, plan to stay at a marina with good facilities and a good live aboard crowd (there is comfort and support in that camaraderie), and remember, whether a boat or a camping trailer or a house - it is still life. A boat won't change your reality outside of the gunwales... in fact, it can make it worse.

Brian

#9 ·
Been living aboard since May 5th 2000.

My first advice to wannabe liveaboards is to buy as big a vessel as you can afford.

We have numerous liveaboards up here in the greater Boston area who live in 30 something footers, or less, and go through hell because in reality they are living in "day cruiser" which was never designed or inted to be a liveaboard, so it is like they are living in their car.

There are no, or limited, interior walls so they don't even have the natural insulation of that, therefore for the winter they wrap their day cruisers in plastic.
Sort of like when a bum wraps up in newspaper to get throught the night, but clearly not the right way to live.

Choose carefully and WISELY.

#10 ·
My first advice to wannabe liveaboards is to buy as big a vessel as you can afford.
I would change this statement slightly. There is such a thing as a vessel that is too big. I have seen live-aboards and regular boat owners alike bail out because they were overwhelmed by the size and complexity of the systems on larger boats. And when it comes to affording a boat consider all the costs; initial purchase, upgrades, ongoing maintenance, slip fees, haul-out fees, insurance, heating/cooling costs, etc.

Buy as big a vessel as you can afford and are willing/able to maintain.

I do agree that some boats are simply too small for some folks to LA comfortably.

#11 · (Edited)
It's ironic that I might have less experience with this question due to having lived aboard for well over forty years. Having all that I own on board my boat and never having had a house leaves me with little to compare with living aboard; however, living aboard since '72 has allowed my to see many people move aboard and then move off. It's been my experience that most that don't do well aboard are those that are moving aboard to escape. They wan't to escape the "rat race", high costs, a failing relationship, career disappointments, etc. Those that succeed are more often those that are drawn by an excitment with self-reliance, independence and adventure that comes with hard work.

#12 ·
I will add my small contribution to this thread. I lived aboard our 31 foot production boat for a little over a year and then intermittently for another year. My situation was a little different from many live-aboards and cruisers, since my wife and I were geographically separated due to our jobs.

Even though my perspective is one from limited cruising with a definite "move back to land" date and frequent flights to live with my wife and kids onshore for a few days at a time, I did notice several common themes among my fellow live-aboards at the few marinas I stayed at for any length of time. 1) I was always ready to drop the lines and go sailing. Many of my less than happy live aboard neighbors had turned their boats into dock ornaments with potted plants, deck furniture, storage boxes, etc. I think I looked forward to getting "home" to the boat because heading out for a night or two was easy because I kept the boat in sailing mode and did not succumb to the temptation to hang tv antennas and the like from it. Several of my more permanent dock neighbors seemed to be stopped by the effort needed to pack up and get the boat ready to go even on a night or two out in the bay. I tried to get off the dock and go somewhere at least 3 nights a week.
2) get a comfortable, ready to sail, simple to maintain, small enough to manage, boat. We bought a 31 foot boat not because it was the top of our budget but rather because I came from a motor boating background and was comfortable single handing a boat of that size. Not being overwhelmed by my boat coming and going from a dock meant that I sailed more often than some of my neighbors. I did not have to rely on anyone other than myself to get in and out of the marina which left me with no excuses for not leaving the dock. Simple systems mean simple repairs with lower cost parts. I wouldn't let a broken fresh water pump under the sink be an excuse for staying at the dock. If I could buy bottled water and go, I went. Even if it was just into the bay to sail and stay on the hook for a night or two.

Nothing that I said is different from those before me in this post. It seems to be that one of the keys to happy living aboard is to actually get out there AND SAIL YOUR BOAT. I look at several of the full timers on this board (CruisingDad, PBZeer, CaptainForce, just to name a few)as examples of the successful ones and they all seem to be the ones DOING rather than sitting at the dock listing excuses why they can't leave and live the adventure. These folks, among others here, are who I credit with making my time living aboard as a truly rewarding, challenging adventure instead of a lonely, sad time living in a wet closet tied to a dock. Getting off the dock I think is the answer. Whatever it takes to make that happen or not happen is likely one of the primary reasons for success or failure as a live aboard. Those that get out and move seem to me to be happier and more content living on their boats. Those that can see even the smallest broken part as a reason to stay put rarely seem to be enjoying their place in life.

#14 ·
I would not be so quick to engage in this sort of sweeping generalization. Sure, there are those who think moving aboard will solve their problems. And agreed, such prospects is unlikely. After all, no matter where you go, there you are. Otoh, imho, there are those who are attracted to the life, for whatever reason, and get aboard, and realize it's not what they expected, so they move back to land. I do not see the latter as failures.

#16 ·
I have no illusion that we will permanantly live aboard. I prefer to think about living aboard for 6+ months and having a low maintenance condo or apartment ashore to return to annually. This shore time could be good to reconnect, refit and recharge. Cruising can also be exhausting.

It seems that just about anyone that went all in on any bet, will come up craps with some regularity.

#160 ·
I know this is an older post but I am reading from the beginning. This is mine and my fiance's plan as well, a nice liveaboard sailboat that we will live on 6-8 months of the year and a condo/small house in ATL to return to annually. Christmas especially, she will NOT do Christmas without her kids if she can help it.

#17 ·
My boat is only 30', and I am quite comfortable. My previous boat was only 25', so when I was shopping for my current boat, it had to meet with certain requirements that would make it liveaboard friendly. It needed to have good stowage, be large enough for me to live comfortably (I'm only 4' 11", so I can deal with a smaller space) but still be small enough for me to easily sail single or shorthanded. I also wanted something that met all my needs, but didn't sail like a pig. In the end I purchased a 1978 P-30. She is very solid and was well maintained, there were very few things that needed to be addressed upfront. I have pressurized and hot water. A nice sized galley and head and the interior was in great condition. It has a force10 bulkhead mounted heater and I have a cruise air for summer. There is also plenty of stowage so it is easy to keep her neat and orderly. It is all about having reasonable expectations and knowing your realistic needs.

#18 ·
As a footnote to those considering living aboard.

Unless you won the lottery, (meaning money DOES grow on trees for you), you almost certainly need to know how to do:

Plumbing - ability to install and maintain faucets, toilets, etc., up to and including full systems.
Electrical work - 12v & 110 install and maintain PUMPS, batteries, generators, solar panels, lights, engine starters / alternators, circuit breakers, volt meters / guages, and complete wiring systems. Did I mention PUMPS!? Know how to break down and rebuild.
Wood work - maintenance and modifications.
Engine maintenance - should understand your engine, specifically the entire fuel delivery system, the starting and stopping wiring and devices, and how to change the oil and bleed the fuel lines, at least. Ideally, you would also be the complete rebuild mechanic too.
Navigations systems - from GPS units to B&G or Furuno to onboard computer systems and radar systems, and satellite units too. You should know how the one(s) you have work, where their respective sensors are located, how to maintain those sensors, (thru hull speed / depth transducers, wind anemometer(s), etc), where any fuses are for these.

Not to mention all the "under way knowledge" you need, i.e., navigation, reading a chart, reading the wind the weather and the waves, how to set your sails, how much canvas to have up per the quantity of wind, etc.

Fiberglassing & gel coating would also be very very helpful, though you could live without those skills.

and generally be that "handy man" which so many say they are not.

You have to have very good diagnositic logic to be able to figure out why or what made such and such break....

So, livingaboard is not for everyone. Sure, some can live like a bum onboard a 20 something footer without any means of propulsion, but if you are actually going to be a "sailor" and liveaboard, you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty and dig in.

Sailing is approximately 80% maintenance of the boat, and if you are lucky, and, or, still have the energy, 20% actually sailing. :)

#19 ·
I completely agree - to me the only reason to liveaboard is to go sailing!

But, in the Northeast, as opposed to my 10 years in Fort Lauderdale, it sure is a lot less likely that you would be sailing anytime during the November - March period. Maybe once or twice given a uniquely warm day, with the luxury of time off from work.

So, that is a very real conflict with my primary reason for living aboard, the weather North of Florida is not so conducive to sailing anytime during the year.

#20 ·
I wrote something really long about all the down falls of living aboard but it was mean and probably more personal.

Here's the breakdown:

Don't do it if it's a means of cheap shelter - you ruin it for everyone and you will hate it and it will maybe even kill you. It's not cheaper than renting an apartment, under any circumstances, for a long time. Sell your boat and buy a camper van, live in that because it will not sink or smell as bad.

Only do it if you are mechanically inclined, willing to forfeit your weekends to projects and resent the boat ownership sometimes. There are rewards, but the juice isn't always worth the squeeze. Do it if you ask yourself, "If money wasn't an object, would I live in a house, apartment, or boat" - If the answer is still, honestly, "Boat" then I guess go for it.

Be aware that while living in rented places you don't ever really own the problems.. you pay rent and a person or company is there fix things and keep them up. When you own a boat and live on it, every single thing you are conscious of using until it breaks will become something that haunts you, and the only thing limiting your ability to rid yourself of those worries is money and time - the two things everyone struggles most with.

I'm happy living aboard, 8 months now. I've been through the boat sinking itself and through sleepless, uncomfortable nights during storms, and being afraid of pulling something apart to fix it because, "If I don't finish this all in a day, I have nowhere to sleep tonight" - Well, get used to it. Fortunately there's only so much to do on a 30' sailboat to keep it comfortable and functional and something to be proud of. I couldn't imagine you guys with like 55' ketch sailboats living on a mooring. Crazy.

I guess if someone only read the first and last sentence because it's not what they are looking to hear:

Save yourself, and don't do it. If that's enough to convince you then you aren't cut out for it anyways.

#21 ·
I wrote something really long about all the down falls of living aboard but it was mean and probably more personal.

Here's the breakdown:

Don't do it if it's a means of cheap shelter - you ruin it for everyone and you will hate it and it will maybe even kill you. It's not cheaper than renting an apartment, under any circumstances, for a long time. Sell your boat and buy a camper van, live in that because it will not sink or smell as bad.

Only do it if you are mechanically inclined, willing to forfeit your weekends to projects and resent the boat ownership sometimes. There are rewards, but the juice isn't always worth the squeeze. Do it if you ask yourself, "If money wasn't an object, would I live in a house, apartment, or boat" - If the answer is still, honestly, "Boat" then I guess go for it.

Be aware that while living in rented places you don't ever really own the problems.. you pay rent and a person or company is there fix things and keep them up. When you own a boat and live on it, every single thing you are conscious of using until it breaks will become something that haunts you, and the only thing limiting your ability to rid yourself of those worries is money and time - the two things everyone struggles most with.

I'm happy living aboard, 8 months now. I've been through the boat sinking itself and through sleepless, uncomfortable nights during storms, and being afraid of pulling something apart to fix it because, "If I don't finish this all in a day, I have nowhere to sleep tonight" - Well, get used to it. Fortunately there's only so much to do on a 30' sailboat to keep it comfortable and functional and something to be proud of. I couldn't imagine you guys with like 55' ketch sailboats living on a mooring. Crazy.

I guess if someone only read the first and last sentence because it's not what they are looking to hear:

Save yourself, and don't do it. If that's enough to convince you then you aren't cut out for it anyways.
This is EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

But, to answer your point of " I couldn't imagine you guys with like 55' ketch sailboats living on a mooring. Crazy." IMHO it is WONDERFUL!

We lived part of last summer, from early August until mid October, moored in Boston Harbor. With 65,000 pounds of mass, she didn't bounce around nearly as much as my neighbors' moored day cruisers. We have a built in Onan Generator. We have our own washer & dryer, solar panels, water maker, etc., so we were still comfortable and self sufficient.

Again, the bigger the boat the better the liveaboard experience is.

#22 ·
Ha! I knew this would be a great thread.

Silvio - thanks for the kind words.

Captain, Doug, Tardis, Tim and Philzy: Great posts!!

I had one other thought as I just got back from walking the dock. Why in the world would ANYONE want to live on a sailboat that doesn't leave the dock?? For Gawd sakes, go get a houseboat for that. It will be just like living at a condo on the water, complete with fridge and stove and all that... go get one of those. Sailboats are the tightest of all boats. They are best suited for living aboard (a broad generalization) over many motor boats I see, with the exception of most trawlers. But in general, if you aren't going to leave the dock and want a home on the water, get a house boat.

Dear friend of ours raises her daughter on her house boat. It will never leave the dock. Doesn't have to. She got that boat from a bank auction (less than 10 years old) for like 6000 or 10000 and everything works. It is very spacious and comfortable. She bought her a little sailboat to take her daughter out sailing in. It is perfect!!

That makes more sense to me than buying some busted up old wreck with a mast to live aboard on, thinking you will fix all those problems. Sadly, that is what I see the most of... and here is what happens (just last week, three slips down):

#23 · (Edited)
Man. I say move aboard. When you get sleepy, lie down in the bunk and go to sleep. When you wake up, make some coffee in the galley, maybe fry up an egg, dunk some water on your self and get cleaned up, put on some clothes and go to work. When you have some free time, do some maintenance. Sail on your day's off and put some money aside for a cruising kitty. I've been doing that for over 20 years and I don't see what the big deal is. It's easier than takeing care of a house from what I've seen. Problem I see, is landlubbers try to live as if they were still on land in a house. You gotta commit to steping on to the boat. The dude that get's injured is the one that try's to keep one foot on the dock. Honestly, you either have the sea coursing through your veins or you don't. On the other hand, I don't see moving off the boat, after having tried, as a failure. How else could you know for sure if it was for you or not?

#24 · (Edited)
This is a great thread and very much appreciate the advise. After 40 years of sailing we are making the transition . This year working 2 weeks living in the house. One week living in the boat and learning/working on it. Next year or so hopefully living in the boat for 8-9m and in a smaller house ( once this one sells) during hurricane season. Then bug out and cruise full time but keep a small house for all the cr-p and family visits. Done the due diligence so can get by financially. Spent hours and hours tracking out, financial stuff, insurance, health care, estate/lawyer crap/ mail/ taxes on and on. Got the biggest boat we could afford ( figuring in maintenance and all the rest). Will be taking or retaking diesel course, safety at sea, maintenance course(s) and maybe sit the captain's license.
Think one of the reasons for failure is one day house and next day boat. People are shocked by the sudden transition and don't do their homework before fully spitting up the anchor. You don't get married after the first date.
still- had the boat a month and have 1000+miles on her. Stupid to have a good boat and not sail it any chance you get.

#27 ·
My 2 cents after living aboard in the northeast for exactly 1 year.

First, it is cheaper than owning a house which also requires plenty of work and money to maintain. Second, at least around here it is cheaper than renting a decent apartment. Southern CT is one of those above the average cost of living areas.

I bought a roomy, older boat (1976, 41' Tartan TOCK) that had a lot of work done to it and still needs more. Yes you need insurance and surveys. I had to replace my fuel tank last fall and then get it surveyed for insurance but I knew about that going in. There is electrical work to be done... I have a short in my interior lights that is eluding me. You definitely need to be willing to learn your boats systems and be self sufficient and able to fix things. To me that is a big part of being a sailor, or a boater. The bigger the boat the more systems and the more complex they will be so bear that in mind. The older the boat the more those systems will break down. Bear that in mind.

Winter is hard. Especially last winter.

I try to keep my boat ready to sail. I can be stowed and ready to cast off in a half hour but after a fall and winter of the boat being a floating condo it took me a good 2 days this spring to get her to that point.

I moved aboard after my divorce and bought the boat for that purpose. It was a dream of mine when I was younger and seemed to make some financial sense. I have an older Pearson 30 that is for sale and I never really considered her as a live aboard.

I am comfortable and gaining confidence as a liveaboard heading into year 2.

#87 ·
My 2 cents after living aboard in the northeast for exactly 1 year.

I moved aboard after my divorce and bought the boat for that purpose. It was a dream of mine when I was younger and seemed to make some financial sense. I have an older Pearson 30 that is for sale and I never really considered her as a live aboard.

I am comfortable and gaining confidence as a liveaboard heading into year 2.
Being in that position now of working my way thru a divorce and moving to Hawaii as my next duty station. I looked at rentals and always found myself wanting to be as close to the ocean as possible and then realized I have always loved the sea and love sleeping onboard the ship. Probably why I have 11 years sea time out of 16 years in the Navy. So with that said and some sailing lessons under my belt and being mechanically inclined I decided come end of December I will start the next chapter of my life with the thing I love the most the ocean and a sailboat. Thank you all for all your inspiring advice!!!

#28 ·
This is my 11th year as a cruising liveaboard, 7 years in my 40s and now retired aboard in my 60s. In this time I have seen a few for whom the dream has turned sour. here are some of the reasons I have been given or observed or guessed at.

1 They get a fright, either a bad passage or just a realisation that away from home and out cruising they have to rely on themselves. I always remember the total disbelief in the voice of someone calling for help on the VHF when they found there was no towing service and worse still the coastguard boat was either broken or perhaps just out of fuel.

1 a This is related to the above and can be best seen in places like Portugal or Panama, people coast hop to there and bottle out when faced with the big one. You can find some real cruising bargains there.

2 They get bored, the most extreme example I remember was a couple on a beautiful old woody which they had spent a couple of years restoring. They were 24 hours out of Florida crossing the Bahama Banks when they realised they just could not cope with the speed, well lack of. We had talked briefly in No Name as we waited for a weather window and they had passed my 4 knsb with ease. I spotted them heading west instead east and gave them a call in case they had a major issue. Nope they said just bored out of their brains counting starfish and were heading back to sell the boat.

3 They get fed up fixing the boat or waiting for people to fix the boat for them. This tends to be people with complex systems in bigger boats. 50 footers plus esp.

4 RUM ! It is pretty social out here although it seems to be less of a problem than it was. I always giggle when I remember the Marsh harbour morning net announcing three different AA meetings each interspersed with a bar offering a happy hour.

In my own case one of the reasons I wanted to get back to the real world was longing to go to the same supermarket each week knowing that I would have everything I needed there. Instead of trailing from shop to shop in the hope that someone would have soy sauce or a lettuce.

#31 ·
I know this winter I am going to take a stab at a short stay aboard. Because work all but dries up for me in winter, I will be trailering my seasprite south to florida for a 6 weeks to 2 months of cruising.

if I am not completely crazy after spending that long on a 23 foot boat.. I should be good to go for a larger boat

#32 ·
Lots of good stuff here though I don't really qualify to comment.

Nonetheless it looks like I'm about to.

Doug S makes a good point re boat size and yes bigger probably is better although the number of people you intend to have on board at any time must be a consideration. Our rules is half a dozen for a day sail and/or the same maximum for dinner. Four for the occasional over nighter but only two long term. More than that and we'd need more than 42'. To be honest the costs involved in running a 50'er puts that pretty much out of the question though money aside it would probably be much more boat than we'd ever need.

Brian, one point of course is that for you with family, size and storage capacity will be more of a problem squeezing everything in that it would be for a couple of old misanthropes like me and the Wombet. So we have space aplenty (not strictly true of course) on the Womboat while e.g TheTardis who appears to be a youngster can exist quite comfortably in 30'. I know that I could have existed quite happily on our old 34'er but for the two of us it was something of a squeeze, primarily lack of footsie room in the (very veed) v berth. Cramped head and galley were also an issue though not as much so. Also have to thoroughly agree with you that if non cruising liveaboard is where you are at then get a stinker and be done with it. Even I would go that route simply cos I love being on the water. The chance to go sailing is just a bonus.

To be clear ...

TheTardis - at my age anyone under the age of forty is a youngster, no offence intended.

All - we don't live aboard permanently. Try for three day weekends and a couple of longer stints during the years. Nonetheless the Womboat is pretty much set up for liveaboard and provided we were not still working then we could and would move aboard quite happily.

Oh yes .... fully enclosed or at least enclosable cockpit is for me non negotiable. I can cope with pretty much any on board drawback provided I can always get out into the cockpit. On the Womboat we have set her up so that even in driving rain when at anchor, we can still use the cockpit with the sides open. There is little worse than having a cockpit enclosure that lets in said driving rain in hot weather.

Finally ... if you cannot live aboard your boat at anchor then I'm thinking fail. Not that checking into a marina now and then is a bad thing but for me the idea of marina liveaboard dose not appeal.

Reactions: Steady Hand
#43 ·
Lots of good stuff here though I don't really qualify to comment.

Nonetheless it looks like I'm about to.

Doug S makes a good point re boat size and yes bigger probably is better although the number of people you intend to have on board at any time must be a consideration. Our rules is half a dozen for a day sail and/or the same maximum for dinner. Four for the occasional over nighter but only two long term. More than that and we'd need more than 42'. To be honest the costs involved in running a 50'er puts that pretty much out of the question though money aside it would probably be much more boat than we'd ever need.

Brian, one point of course is that for you with family, size and storage capacity will be more of a problem squeezing everything in that it would be for a couple of old misanthropes like me and the Wombet. So we have space aplenty (not strictly true of course) on the Womboat while e.g TheTardis who appears to be a youngster can exist quite comfortably in 30'. I know that I could have existed quite happily on our old 34'er but for the two of us it was something of a squeeze, primarily lack of footsie room in the (very veed) v berth. Cramped head and galley were also an issue though not as much so. Also have to thoroughly agree with you that if non cruising liveaboard is where you are at then get a stinker and be done with it. Even I would go that route simply cos I love being on the water. The chance to go sailing is just a bonus.

To be clear ...

TheTardis - at my age anyone under the age of forty is a youngster, no offence intended.

All - we don't live aboard permanently. Try for three day weekends and a couple of longer stints during the years. Nonetheless the Womboat is pretty much set up for liveaboard and provided we were not still working then we could and would move aboard quite happily.

Oh yes .... fully enclosed or at least enclosable cockpit is for me non negotiable. I can cope with pretty much any on board drawback provided I can always get out into the cockpit. On the Womboat we have set her up so that even in driving rain when at anchor, we can still use the cockpit with the sides open. There is little worse than having a cockpit enclosure that lets in said driving rain in hot weather.

Finally ... if you cannot live aboard your boat at anchor then I'm thinking fail. Not that checking into a marina now and then is a bad thing but for me the idea of marina liveaboard dose not appeal.
OK.... and to live aboard at anchor, we have an Onan diesel generator, solar panels, a water maker, a full size washer & dryer, 2 showers, etc. My wife and I can run her just fine. Not, "too big to handle".

Buy as big as you can afford to, you will not be un-happy.

Buying smaller than you can afford, you might very well be very unhappy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.