SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Stains (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/102609-stains.html)

svzephyr44 08-16-2013 07:53 AM

Stains

As a "world?" cruiser I use laundry facilities at marinas or the local "laundry person" to do my wash. Frequently my laundry comes back with stains - usually rust colored. This has happened in the US, Caribbean, and Europe. I have not found a product to get the stains out. In fact lots of my clothing has been ruined by the local laundry.

Question: What is your favorite de-staining product?

PS I also get back clothing with bleach damage but I don't think there is a remedy other than complaining.

Tim R. 08-16-2013 09:21 AM

Re: Stains

We use Oxiclean. Works very well on stains.

Marina washers and dryers are always a crap-shoot. You never know what was washed in them previously. Could be greasy rags, a load of whites with heavy bleach, etc.

http://www.oxiclean.com/siteimages/P...29569327e6.png

Cruisingdad 08-16-2013 09:53 AM

Hey Roger,

We use a similar product as Tim.

I wonder what would happen if you tried rinsing it in CLR? It takes the rust off of walls, etc. I have no idea if this would work, so I would first try it on a shirt I didn't care about.

Similarly, as I am sure you may know, you can wash your own clothes in a 5g bucket and ammonia. It is cheap and works pretty well.

Our process is to put several gallons of fresh water in a 5g bucket and about a half cup - cup of ammonia and let it sit. Shake it around some then pull it out and hang it out to dry. You do not smell any ammonia smell and it does a fair job getting things 'ok' clean. Certainly not as good as a washer and dryer but a reasonable alternative. Nice thing is there is no rinsing and no bleach spots!!!

I am with you on the washer and dryers while cruising. We have gotten to the point that we avoid colored clothes more often than not because they get bleach stains all the time!! Plus, it gets real expensive. We are in Marathon right now, and the price to wash and dry a regular size load is $6-7/load!!! Not great on a cruising budget with two boys!!

Anyways, hop the cruising is going well.

Brian

outbound 08-16-2013 11:08 AM

Splendide starts to make sense if you have the room.

Tim R. 08-16-2013 01:17 PM

Some additional info.

Our marina does not allow you to hang your laundry out on your boat other than the occasional fowlies, towel or bathing suit.

When cruising we use a hand operated Wonderwash
Washers and Dryers, Clothes Washers, Washing Machines, Washer

We then mostly dry the clothes with a spin dryer
Clothes Dryers, Electric Clothes Dryers, Spin Dryer

The spin drier does a great job of removing moisture. The clothes then require minimal hang time to completely dry.

wingNwing 08-16-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 1074763)
We have gotten to the point that we avoid colored clothes more often than not because they get bleach stains all the time!!
Brian

Funny, we ONLY buy colored clothes. We've given up on white t-shirts because we can't keep them white.

Cruisingdad 08-16-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingNwing (Post 1074876)
Funny, we ONLY buy colored clothes. We've given up on white t-shirts because we can't keep them white.

Well, when you have kids, you cant keep the colored clothes their original colors either (sphaghetti sauce, ketchup, mustrad, etc). We are choosing the lesser of two evils!!!

Three months and counting J... thee months and counting.

Brian

MarioG 08-17-2013 03:45 PM

For rust stains I like WINK rust remover can be found in most food stores under $2

wingNwing 08-17-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 1074878)

Three months and counting J... thee months and counting.

Brian

Are we there yet?

Antibes 08-17-2013 05:02 PM

Chlorox2 the non bleach, similar chemistry to oxyclean, I have had better luck with it, need to soak and scrub and maybe two washes in it.