Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007

sharia is on a distinguished road
I joined just so i could reply to this thread. I live aboard in Annapolis with my partner and 7 year old. We live aboard because we like to sail and we like the lifestyle, and it affords us the opportunity to live on the water without making a lot of money, ( i earn about $15 an hour) we have cruised in the past and will do so again in a year or two. We live on a 45 foot sloop that is by no means derelict, nor would it be the model in a Ralph Lauren photo shoot, its a working boat, its well taken care of, cleaned and waxed and painted and polished,we sail every weekend and sometimes in the middle of the week. We live in a marina because we have the facilities here that allow us to live softly. Here on back creek there have been a number of " derelict" boats that the harbormaster cleared out last year, and well he should have, there was often no one living permanently on board, they were an eyesore , and everytime the wind blew up they drifted into other boats, they did not use the pump outs, they held loud drinking parties etc etc etc. I am all for free anchoring rights, and think it is a great shame that our rights are being infringed upon because of the acts of a few people. If we lived in an apartment my neighbor would not have the right to create a disturbance that affected me, why should boaters be any different? i disagree with the its my house i own the view outlook, but this is a community we live in and people need to respect the rights of others. we need perhaps to police ourselves more and be proactive in the erosion of our anchoring rights, yes its unfair that the wealthy have better access to anything, including politicians, but thats the way it is, has always been. my view is that you should keep your boat in a seaworthy state, just as your neighbor should keep their house, it costs money, sometimes everything i earn, but i knew that going in, 10 years ago. live in the community, if the community does not fit in with your ideals, move, thats why you own a boat!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
"i disagree with the its my house i own the view outlook, but this is a community we live in and people need to respect the rights of others. we need perhaps to police ourselves more and be proactive in the erosion of our anchoring rights"

The $64 million question is, how do we 'police ourselves'?
What will you do when you see a derelict boat at anchor nearby? And who's definition of 'derelict' will you be using?
Old 08-04-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"What will you do when you see a derelict boat at anchor nearby?"

Put an ad on Craig's List for "FREE BOAT, MUST VACATE MOORING IMMEDIATELY".

Old 08-07-2007

Shack is on a distinguished road
Smile What to do when you find a derelict boat?

I don't know, but there are mulitple scenarios of how and where a boat is considered to be derelict. So, there is likely no single solution, and nothing worth while is ever simple. It'll take sustained level of procativity. I believe the techncial term is "nagging."

What will the Coast Guard or DNR do with boats that are merely reported as ...
"may be adrift"
"may be dragging its anchor?"
"suspected of leaking oil/fuel into the water system?"
... what are their obligations on these reports?

I'd LIKE to think that it would start an official event history on that hull, so that it can eventually be seized or hauled away. Maybe I'm being naive, but several reports from different boaters about a problem boat can't be ignored for long. (The squeeky wheel gets replaced.) It is a fact, however, that passive acceptance and complaining to nobody in particular accomplishes little.

“If you nag people enough, work becomes the course of least resistance.”
-Stephen R. Covey
Old 08-10-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
NC Application?

I've read this whole thread in hopes of finding information on getting a permit for a permanent mooring here in NC. I didn't want to start a new thread without asking here first. Just for the record... we own the property it would be in front of. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the permit application?

Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Joel73-

From what I read HERE, it says:

Quote:
A freestanding mooring is a stationary device used for attaching a boat, ship, floating structure or other water craft. Freestanding moorings include mooring buoys, buoyed anchors and pilings that are not part of a pier, dock or boathouse.
To qualify for a mooring permit, you must either own the waterfront property in front of the mooring location (general permit or major permit), or you must be planning to install the mooring buoy in a designated mooring area that meets the requirements of a local water use plan (requires major permit).
Figure 4.14

If you plan to install a mooring, you must meet the following standards {15A NCAC 7H.0208 (b) (10) or 7H.2200}:
  • Moorings must not interfere with navigation or with public use of the waters.
  • Moorings may be located up to a maximum of 400 feet from the normal high water line, or the normal water line, whichever is applicable.
  • You may have up to four moorings, if you do not have other docking space in front of your property. If you do have other docking space, the combined docking spaces and moorings must not total more than four.
  • Freestanding moorings along federally maintained channels must meet Corps of Engineers guidelines.
  • When you plan the location of your mooring, you must consider the boat as well. The space for a mooring must include a radius around the mooring that could be occupied by the boat at any time (see Figure 4.14).
  • Moorings and associated boats must be located at least 15 feet from adjacent riparian property lines, as extended into the water – unless the adjoining property owner waives this setback.
  • Moorings must not significantly interfere with shellfish franchises or leases. You must notify all owners of a shellfish franchise or lease over which your mooring would extend.
  • Moorings must be marked in accordance with US Coast Guard and NC Wildlife Resources Commission requirements, and they must bear the owner's name, state vessel registration numbers and/or US Customs documentation numbers. Mooring buoys must be a minimum of 12 inches in diameter.
  • If a mooring is not used for 12 months or more, it must be removed.
Hope this helps. You probably should contact the NC Department of Coastal Management, as it appears they manage the permitting process.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-10-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Sailingdog... that is a big help... exactly what i have been looking for. I guess i wasn't looking hard enough.

Old 08-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.