Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
What is a derelict boat? WHat qualifies? Where do you draw the line?
Now, that is where government does have a function. Not sure if it's covered in the collregs or not, but if it isn't, it should be.

Of course, the problem there becomes one of proving the boat is in fact a derelict. Which would mean someone would have to get off their fanny and do something. It's much easier to just eliminate them all rather than just the bad apples.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Again, over here we do it simpler.

Each boat, from my kids optimist to the largest boat here has to undergo an inspection every 5 years done by the Navy. It is done thru the Maritime Institute.

They check all from VHF (if its the case) to Liferafts, EPIRB, valves all!!! To give you an example, when I submitred my boat for inspection it failed, because 6 of the life vests did not have the Approved seal (I exchanged them, in the supplier at no cost).

If a boat misses the 5 year inspection is considered "lost" or abandoned, and can be destroyed. Unless the owner says it has not doen because of repairs or other.

Meaning that our Marine Police, (that stop boats periodically looking for insurance etc.), has the right to apreend it should you have not done the inspection. And let me tell you, its hard to get it back!! SO WE ALL DO THE INSPECTIONS EVERY 5 YEARS.

Portuguese KISS method

Last edited by Giulietta; 12-14-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2006

LaLeLu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
lalelu,

What is a derelict boat? WHat qualifies? Where do you draw the line?
So you are saying that instead of better defining the laws with regard to derelicts, that no one should have free access to the public waterways? You don't see that as a cut-off-the-arm-to-treat-a-broken-finger-nail kind of a remedy?
Old 12-14-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
LaLelU,

I did not say that at all.

I am pointing out the difficulties that face the government and the people.

What is derelict and who decides what should stay and what should go? I have been on both sides of the fence. My anchor has set in many bays and I have owned waterfront. We talk about free access (which I agree to, incidentally) but, there are always the people that take advantage of that. Still, what is taking advantage? Who deserves to be there and who does not? And who are you and I to say that they do not meet the class restriction. So I ask the question again: What is derelict?

I noticed you live on Merrit Island, FL. That is not cheap, nor is Cocoa Beach or the surrounding area. You own waterfront property there? You have a 10 million dollar home on a 10 million dollar lot overloorking the bay? Maybe you do. If so, I am suprised your outlook on this is not one-sided the other way.

I am NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT pointing you out, and please don't be offended. I am merely asking if you have really tried to look at it through their eyes too. One could say that, "They don't own the view...", but yes they do... and yes I do, and yes you do. Unless you are litterally blind, everyone "Owns" the view.

The point of all of this is to be respectful and conscientious of others. That is what it boils down to. Unfortunately, the people who are not respectful are the ones that will never read this thread and would not care if they did. They go about their business with no regard to how it affects others (whehter they agree with it or not) and see the world only through their eyes.

THat is what I am trying to say. I try to be the least offesnive person possible on this site, and am not trying in any way to offend you. SO please don't take offense.

- CD

PS I again state that my view is without restrictions. But the qualifier to that view is that the people that use it do so in a respectable manner to all those around them - land lover, fellow cruiser, human or marine life.
Old 12-14-2006

georgellop is on a distinguished road
"Full time Cruisers" (as opposed to "Live aboards") Seven Seas Cruising Association has a link to a .pdf regarding this issue.

....GOOD NEWS. Local government, for the most part, can not regulate anchoring.

Read the .pdf for all the details and e-cast the link to every sailor you know.

www.ssca.org/anchorrights.pdf/

BETAMARINE
DIESEL PROPULSION & GENERATORS
Mobile: (786) 443 5567
Fax: (786) 221 3986

Old 12-14-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The only thing I would say is that some of the "problem boats" are not derelicts...it's the people on them that are. Moochers, bums, theives, alchaholic/drugaholics need to be dealt with by the laws as well as the boats that qualify as derelicts.
Old 12-14-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Good distinction cam, unfortunately, unless they are breaking a law with their behavior, there isn't much you can do about it. I would though think there is something that can be done about squatters, which is essentially what they are. Just as you can't set up a RV permanently in a National Park, the same should hold true with the waterways.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-14-2006

stoutwench is on a distinguished road
squatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
I would though think there is something that can be done about squatters, which is essentially what they are. Just as you can't set up a RV permanently in a National Park, the same should hold true with the waterways.
PBeezer

You stole my argument!!!!!!!! Those who put down private mooring balls/permanently anchor and claim that spot as their own is just that.....a squatter. No one has ever been able to cite to me the law that allows them to do so. If some one can, I'm heading to the Blue Ridge Parkway to claim a parking spot at one of the overlooks as mine. Will be towing in an old leisure van, put it up on blocks and start crapping in the woods. Don't I have the right to do so? Heck....it's "public" land.

Roger
Old 12-14-2006

zfactor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutwench
Those who put down private mooring balls/permanently anchor and claim that spot as their own is just that.....a squatter.
I'm kinda new to sailing...I see the attraction to cruising (and anchoring out along the way)and to living on a boat at a marina. What I don't see is the attraction of living on the SAME mooring ball/permanent anchorage for an extended period of time. Has anyone of you spent more then one month living moored at the SAME spot?

Jeff
Old 12-14-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jeff....oh yeah! Down in the caribe for hurricane season there are hundreds of boats in Luperon, Grenada, Trinidad, Venezuela that don't move from July to November. You pick your spot and BURY the hook while you live abard, socialize, take the dink in to shop etc. until you can safely go cruising again. Same thing happens in the Bahamas and Keys (Georgetown and BootHarbor in particular) as cruisers gather, find a place they enjoy and hang out for a month or more.
What we're talking about here though are not people who are waiting for things to be safe or hanging out as part of the cruising community and having fun. We are talking about Cling-ons!!