SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

more liveaboard DC NVA

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Brad,
I am curious to know how things worked out for you.

Anyone,
I am in a similar situation, looking for marina for livaboard in Wash DC area. I know there are several marinas in DC and also Alexandria VA, also what about Nothern Neck, the VA Chesapeake, or Southern MD? I am new to sailing, this will be my first boat.

#2 ·
Have you lived in NVA before? If so, you know the traffic patterns and their importance. If you work in DC, your best bet is the Gangplank if you can get a response and a slip. It''s expensive as hell, but I think it''s the only live-aboard marina in DC. As you go down the river, you balance cost against a longer commute unless you work even farther south. If you stay on the VA side, Be prepared to get your clock cleaned by the annual tax bill. Reccomend MD, but more jobs are in VA with few crossings that are worth the name. I''m working on the same problem for when I come back to the states next year and buy my next boat. Not sure where I''ll tie up. Maybe I can get a job in Annapolis. Either way, the commute is a huge quality of life issue. Getting from either shore of the bay into town is a major haul. Work nights if you decide to do it.

#3 ·
At Gangplank Marina, I pay about $600/month, which includes a 40'' slip, utilities, parking, trash and recycling pickup, pumpouts, mail receiving, and a party barge of our very own (seeing as how we can''t grill on the docks). Proximity to the national Mall, 2 Metro stops, a CVS, a Safeway, a liquor store, and an easy trip to work Downtown? Priceless.

Remember you pretty much have to buy a boat at Gangplank that has liveaboard status in order to get a foot in the door. As for what''s for sale, it seems to be a secret as the only broker down there doesn''t like to advertise. You gotta show up and be persistent.

Best of luck:)
Charlotte on Katmantoo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.