SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Liveaboard Sail upkeep (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/104042-liveaboard-sail-upkeep.html)

Coastlife247 09-24-2013 12:39 PM

Liveaboard Sail upkeep

So i'm living on my first sailboat a 29 C&C. I have it at a floating dock which is amazingly simple for the days i work long hours. Unfortunately i dont get to take her out as much as either of us would like. I run the engine About once a week but rarely leave the comfort of my dock, as i dont like solo trips much.

Anyways my question is since i dont get the sails up as often as i should, what are some good maintenance tips for my rigging and sails themselves?. I have a roller furled genoa that has some of the stiching pulling out of the sunbrella. Also what do yall use to clean the sunbrealla material when it starts to look dingy?

Unkle Toad 09-24-2013 02:33 PM

Re: Liveaboard Sail upkeep

oohh .. excelent question Im watching this one too.

azguy 09-24-2013 02:37 PM

Is it fading or just dirty ??

Coastlife247 09-25-2013 08:43 AM

Its got what looks like mold. Its very humid here so every morning there's a layer of moisture. I don't wanna use something that may damage or fade the sumbrella like concentrated bleach. So maybe a detergent?

zz4gta 09-25-2013 02:45 PM

Take the sails off the boat, give them a wash in mild detergant. Rinse with fresh water.

Remove running rigging, rinse with fresh water, soak in tub with mild detergant, rinse in more fresh water.

Rinse all topsides, decks, and deck hardware in fresh water.

Go up the rig with a bucket and fresh water, wipe down all standing rigging, fittings, etc with a sponge or wet rag.

Just b/c you're not using them, doesn't mean they're not seeing dirt and salt from the air.

Minnewaska 09-26-2013 03:50 AM

If you're at a dock, just drop them and send them out to be professionally cleaned. Their machines do much better getting inside seams, etc. Then keep them folded and bagged until you plan to go sailing. Even in a dock locker is better than furled and rarely used. If you do leave them up on the furler, they should be wrapped very tightly and the clew should wrap twice around the sail before cleating/tailing the line. It will limit, but not prevent water from lying between the wraps.

Heck, the best solution is to get out sailing more often. :)

Lothario 09-30-2013 09:34 PM

Once upon a time, I actually took my main n jib to the Laundromat! Gentle wash, gentle dry..got rid of the mold. It was not a big risk then since they were both very old and I was intending to replace them soon anyway. Larger sails would probably not fit, but they had an 'industrial sized' washer/dryer..just sayin

safira 12-21-2013 03:55 PM

I have found that in the past after almost going crazy that dawn dish detergent is a boaters best friend when it comes to cleaning .... it works great on sails and is a mild soap ... I get a lot of the small brown bats where I am at and it takes the stains out with just a little scrubbing if they get in the sails and leave their calling cards ....
another good product that seems to work good is the awesome you can get at a dollar store ....
Also I raise my sails once a month just to see if the critters are back and left any calling cards ...
Hope this helps some

Minnewaska 12-21-2013 03:59 PM

I just cleaned some cockpit vinyl (stamoid) with a mixture or Woolite and Oil Eater Degreaser. Worked pretty well and seemed not to be corrosive like bleach. The degreaser is biodegradable, I believe.

http://www.oileater.com/images/AOD1G35437.jpg

benesailor 12-21-2013 04:02 PM

All great ideas.
I just sent mine out to be re-stitched and cleaned. My sunbrella was coming off as well.
I prefer Ivory dish soap.