SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Real Cost (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/104504-real-cost.html)

redrider7202 10-07-2013 04:43 PM

Real Cost

Ok, let me introduce myself considering this is my first post. I'm in my mid 20's, an engineer, and it's starting to look like i'm going to stay a bachelor. Work has been... slow... so I've been doing a lot of day dreaming. Plan on buying my dream car this spring. (a Porsche 911 that I plan to drive year round... I'm a bit off)

Anyway, the point of my post, one of these days I plan on retiring to a boat and becoming a liveaboard. If all goes well, 20 years from now this will happen. (once I slow down...) I'm curious as to what it actually costs to live on a boat. Ideally I'd like to buy something that is somewhat blue water capable. I'd love to say pop over to the Mediterranean, down to the Caribbean, just sorta stick to the whole today i'm going thataway type deal. I know costs vary on size and everything so figured that might be important.

So basically, what are people seeing for say slip cost?
maintainence?
incidentals related to keeping the boat running?
Living costs compared to an apartment? about the same? more? less?
Fuel? Traveling I know i'll use some... but being a sail boat how bad can it be?
Anything I'm leaving out?

unimacs 10-07-2013 04:59 PM

Re: Real Cost

It's good to have dreams and while I'm not really in much of a position to answer your questions, I will throw a couple of things out there:
  • I wouldn't assume that you'll be slowing down once in your mid 40's
  • The slip fees, etc. in different parts of the world may be much different in 20 years than they are now.
  • Whether you remain a bachelor or not, solo long distance voyages are inherently much more risky than having another capable person or two along for the ride

boatpoker 10-07-2013 05:10 PM

cost ? .... whatever you've got plus 20%
:)

DRFerron 10-07-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrider7202 (Post 1100608)
...I'd love to say pop over to the Mediterranean, down to the Caribbean, just sorta stick to the whole today i'm going thataway type deal. I know costs vary on size and everything so figured that might be important.

Welcome to SailNet.

Hopefully you'll soon realize that one does not "pop over" quickly in a sailboat doing 5 to 7 knots. Then, figure in the time spent voyage planning and provisioning and all the rest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrider7202 (Post 1100608)
So basically, what are people seeing for say slip cost?
maintainence?
incidentals related to keeping the boat running?
Living costs compared to an apartment? about the same? more? less?
Fuel? Traveling I know i'll use some... but being a sail boat how bad can it be?
Anything I'm leaving out?

Slip fees depend on location, amount of amenities, location, boat size, location.

Cost of keeping the boat running depends on the condition of the boat, how much you can do yourself vs. paying someone to do the work.

Living costs can range from minimal to extravagant. It depends on what you want.

You're leaving out a lot. I suggest that you start with some books, check out the Living Aboard section of SailNet and also figure out whether you want to live aboard or cruise. There are liveaboards who do not cruise but most cruisers live aboard. There is a difference.

CaptainForce 10-07-2013 05:29 PM

During the forty-three years that we have lived aboard I've seen slip rates rise from $50/month to $500/month; however, everything ese has gone up by ten fold also. You'll hear a great variety of cost from liveaboard cruisers, but "do-it-yourself" rules. Throughout all our decades of liveaboard cruising we have had more descretionary income than our colleagues with the same income who live in houses. That said, I'm sure there are many who don't deal as well with the mechanics and tasks of maintaining a boat with little costs. I know of people that spend thousands for what I accomplish with a few hundred. You're an engineer! ....so, you don't need to pay someone else to figure it out!

CapnSantiago 10-07-2013 05:51 PM

Ahh...to be in my 20's again and think 40's is old and a good age to "slow down" and retire in. Love the Porsche idea (nothing off about that to me)...but if you have those kind of tastes you better either have a lot of money coming or impose self control.

Mid 20's and you think it's all set you'll be a bachelor...bachelor or not find someone that shares and encourages your dreams so that's not the determining factor.

We all love your dream...start putting away in your 401K now. Lots of other posts/strings on this subject elsewhere (although you'll have to adjust some for inflation...but you'll get the idea). In the end it all comes down to what your real priorities are and what you're really willing to sacrifice along the way for them to become realities.

redrider7202 10-07-2013 05:52 PM

I've been doing a lot of lurking lately. Anyway, let me clarify a few points brought up. By slow down I mean that in a MPH way... hence the Porsche and the Triumph motorcycle. Unfortunately I've can count the number of times I've been on a sail boat on one hand and have loved it every time. (BTW, anyone in New England need someone to crew?)

By pop over to the Mediterranean, I mean... well... it's pretty and you have the Monaco grand prix (i hope its still there...) so why not sail to go see it? be a cool adventure. And I do plan on being a Liveaboard cruiser. What's the point of living on a sail boat if you don't go anywhere?

I also plan on doing most of the work myself. Generally speaking, if I can't fix it, it can't be fixed... or I'm just lacking some heavy equipment. That skill actually got me my current job. I also have a few friends right now who I could probably con into coming along on trips... or just fixing things. Hell maybe i'll get lucky and find a girl.

I know I have a lot of reading left to do... Heck I don't really know enough yet to really know what it is I don't know. But i'm working on that. I learn fast. Right now looking to see just how much I need to get saved up to make this work. Figure i'd plan on whatever it is now, double it for inflation and add 25%. Cut interest rate in half... Should give me a starting point. Only numbers i've been able to find are "we were able to do this for 1000 a month" so I know you can do things on the cheap, but what about doing it comfortably?

hopefully I can talk my uncle into teaching me to sail. (he has a 41' boat from the the mid 80's that I've been on once... no wind that day though)

redrider7202 10-07-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnSantiago (Post 1100668)
Ahh...to be in my 20's again and think 40's is old and a good age to "slow down" and retire in. Love the Porsche idea (nothing off about that to me)...but if you have those kind of tastes you better either have a lot of money coming or impose self control.

We all love your dream...start putting away in your 401K now..

You can get a 1999 Porsche 911 for around the cost of a Civic, do the work myself, assuming I don't run into the dreaded IMS failure and take out the engine it shouldn't be to bad to run. But yes, I do tend to have expensive taste. I also grew up making 5 an hour working for my dad in a manufacturing plant (he owned it) busting my ass so I tend to be... frugal. A lot of finance calculators will say I can afford around 50% to twice what I actually could bring myself to do when it comes to buying a house or car.

As for the 401k, i'm doing the max my company will match, and then more then that again personally.

deltaten 10-07-2013 06:02 PM

Aarrgghhhh!
Don't wait! Buy a used Honda AND a "starter' boat. Go sailing!

Just *do* it!

You can thank me in 20 yrs; but mo' likely first time ya go out.

azguy 10-07-2013 06:18 PM

I'm 47, take my advice, scrap the Porsche and buy something newer that requires very little maintenance and continue the aggressive saving plan. maybe something that cab tow a boat so you can save on mooring and storage expenses too. You really can't put gear and a cooler in a 911. When you retire every penny matters.

Use the savings to buy a boat, build your skills, meet people and most importantly sail.

Maybe take the ASA 101-105 classes and get enough time under your belt where your vacations become a week long charter in the Islands or in California.