SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

liberty vs newport

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  miatapaul 
#1 ·
Hi were planning on living aboard our 31ft cruiser in nj in November. Were still unsure on which marina to pick. Liberty landing or Newport marina in NJ PLEASE any comments form people living or have lived at the marinas would be great. Any info concerning the marinas post sandy would be great too. My boyfriend wants Newport because its cheaper but i think liberty is the way to go Thanks!!

#2 ·
I am interested in this, as they may be an option for me as well. I am looking further up river for now, but have thought about down there. From my research so far I believe that Liberty Landing has much better protection from waves. I have also heard that the ferry really rocks things, so it is still pretty rolly during the hours of operation. You also have Liberty State Park to walk in. If you are commuting to the city, sounds like Liberty is hard to beat. I have not heard much about Newport good or bad. How long are you planning on living aboard?

#4 ·
I would go to Newport Yacht Club. It's closer to Washington street in Hoboken, which is where you'll find the local night life. Lots of restaurants, bars, etc.

Ask them, about damage, but I bet it's all fixed. I know most in the area have been.

#5 · (Edited)
If you don't have to be near the city, Haverstraw is nice for winter, very protected, but quite a bit up river.

I think it really depends on what your needs and wants are. Both appear to be close to public transport, but there is a ferry that goes directly into Liberty that is handy. What are your priorities? Remember you often get what you pay for, so there might well be a reason why one is cheaper. Be sure to include any extras like electric, parking, water and pump outs. Also what the facilities are important to you. Would you have access to a car? Do you need parking, and is it available. Security in both marinas will be important to check as well. I believe the neighborhood around Newport is likely nicer, but I have not been there in almost 20 years so I am sure my opinions are dated. I used to run the concessions at Ellis Island so I am a bit partial to Liberty State Park.

Personally I would not make a commitment to either until after a visit and a discussion to the management. I believe they both have liveable fees in addition to the slip fee so account for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.