SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Where's the Best Liveaboard Marina? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/105166-wheres-best-liveaboard-marina.html)

jasn 10-30-2013 11:08 AM

Where's the Best Liveaboard Marina?

This was prompted by a discussion I recently had with someone who mentioned to me that Connecticut by state law, doesn't allow any liveaboards, and some threads here which mention various other restrictions on them. I started wondering that if these were not great places to liveaboard, then where are the great places to liveaboard?

So, I'm curious to see Sailnetters weigh in on which liveaboard marina/location is the best, if one were free to live aboard year round, and why. Factors should include, (year round) weather, marina amenities, local amenities, costs, and anything else you can think of.

(Saw this on Zillow which started me thinking how cool it would be to own your own slip too.. except for the property taxes..)

Bonus points awarded if you're actually living aboard there now..

(and points subtracted if you choose a marina which is closed to, or difficult for, new liveaboards..)

Jason

Tim R. 10-30-2013 11:22 AM

Re: Where's the Best Liveaboard Marina?

My favorite place to live aboard is Portland, Maine. And DiMillos is the best marina in the area to live aboard full time. Only two in the area allow this and the other is not very nice.

We sail 7 months here and wrap the boat for winter. My wife and I both walk to work and frequently go home for lunch. Close to shopping and parks. A little noisy on the weekends in the summer but we are usually out sailing. DiMillos is a decent facility but has no cruiser's lounge, pool, BBQ or other things you might find in a marina further south. You can sail from the Marina; no long driveway. Cost is reasonable. About $500/month for a year round contract on a 40ft boat. Includes free water, cable tv, electricity(metered in the winter), wifi. On premises laundry and restaurant/bar.

TQA 10-30-2013 11:46 AM

If I had to live in a marina then Secret Harbour Marina in Grenada would be high on the list.

Secret Harbour Marina, Grenada W.I.

BubbleheadMd 10-30-2013 12:24 PM

The marina I lived at this year, is one of the best liveaboard marinas on the Chesapeake.

Slips were very affordable. The owner lived on-site. The marina is in a beautiful, secluded, hurricane-hole that is a short hop the the "raise sails" point. The marina did not have frills like a bar, club, restaurant, pool or tennis courts and that's the way we liked it.

I like the place so much, that I refuse to give the secret away.

npettett 10-30-2013 10:38 PM

I'm happy with my marina in Kentucky.

newhaul 10-30-2013 11:19 PM

The. Bremerton marina next to the Puget sound naval shipyard great amenities close to the ferry to Seattle and good public transit system and accepting new liveaboards and the. Best part year round sailing.

PBzeer 10-31-2013 01:22 AM

Kinda depends on what's important to ya. Here in New Bern, I average (w/electric) $300 a month, which is the main reason I haven't got off my lazy butt and gotten back out cruising (I stopped to work for 3 years).

Good shower/laundry. Hotel pool and fitness room available, and free ride to the airport. Right downtown (touristy to an extent, but it does have a great old fashioned hardware store). Library within easy walking distance. Main shopping area is an hour walk/20 min bike ride, though there is limited public transport. I get a ride once a week for groceries and other shopping for $20 (can't own a car for that price). Downside is there is city and county property tax, as well as a state income tax and sales tax.

cptnslick 12-22-2013 10:58 AM

The admiral and I live in Baltimore MD at Baltimore Marine Center - Light House Point (LHP). It's a very nice facility. There are actually several Baltimore Marine marinas in the Harbor depending on where you want to dock.

The LHP location is in the Canton area of town. Everything you could possibly need is within walking distance. West Marine, groceries, liquor store, tiki bar, restaurants, Target, Ace Hardware etc...

An annual slip agreement includes 2 haul outs and power washes, pool & gym membership, garage parking (first come first served, but only a problem on holidays), water and cable tv. Electric is metered. There's a bath house and coin-op laundry.

My 55' slip runs about 550-600 per month (includes liveaboard fee, does not include electric). Very affordable but, the tough part is annual agreements are due up front each year. The most you can break it up is 3 payments over 3 months. If you can stick to a budget and save up each year it's not so bad. Electric can get expensive depending on how you heat/cool your boat. I think it's $0.22/kw right now.

Baltimore itself is a great city. There's a great music scene, lots of things to do, and generally an affordable city to live in. Having a dinghy is great. You can get to Fells Point and the Inner Harbor in about 10-15mins in the dinghy. You can also float/dock near the outdoor concert pavilion, Pier Six, and catch shows. There's lots of place to go in the Patapsco river. It's good fun.

I've lived here for 7 years and met many great people. There's a good liveaboard community here.

The only complaints I have are:
- packing up the toys for the winter is no fun
- it's a fairly long run to get out of the Patapsco river to the Chesapeake
- the water in the harbor is gross, lots of trash run off from the city streets when it rains
- the barnacles and muscles will foul your boat quickly

Pearson796 12-22-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npettett (Post 1112567)
I'm happy with my marina in Kentucky.

At $2000 a year for a slip, it doesn't get any cheaper. But, it would be nice to have showers and laundry on site.

Green Turtle Bay is awesome but expensive at around $475 a month.

jlc 01-07-2014 03:10 PM

If you are in the NYC area I know New Rochelle NY zoning allows live aboard's by Glen Island and its a nice hurricane hole.