Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005

kb7176 is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard trial run

My husband and I have had the dream of living aboard a boat for some time now. We have not moved forward up to now as we felt the boat we had was fine for weekend living but that it would not accomodate us full time. Well, in a rather unplanned moment of insanity we have become the proud owners of a new boat that has all the bells and whistles that we felt we would (need?) enjoy for full time living. We will be moving aboard as soon as we finish the commisioning process and get our "girl" to her new home. The plan is to conduct our trial run from the middle of April through October to see if this is truly the way we want to go. The question I have for those of you that are "living the life" is do you think this would be a fair test of living aboard a boat Or do you think that because we will be in the best weather of the year and in a "vacation time" feeling at our marina that we might have a warped perspective. (doesn''t everything seem wonderful on vacation???) I know that there is no way to know for sure however in your opinion is this a fair test? I should also add that we will most likely be working in our area (southern Chesapeake) for at least 1 more year before we will be able to retire and do the snowbird thing. Sorry this is so long , I appreciate your input.
kkb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2005

Orion48 is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard trial run

Aloha,
Well you can probably see that I am not the best person to respond to you as I live aboard in Hawaii-Both my husband and I have jobs, commute, work on the boat, sail and I knew in the first minute that it was the perfect life for me...that being said I think you are on the right path. You might as well deal with the smaller living space, galley adjustmests and strange noises on a daily basis first before you add the novelty of WINTER (yikes!)Because we are close to resorts here we kind of get that "vacation feeling" a lot- As martha would say "its a good thing!"
As a former teacher..I think it is really not a "test" at all...don''t worry be happy...you get to do what you want!The weather issue will be a perspective that you will have for experience. I would suggest you wander to the marina you will be living at and walk up and down the docks talking to people and asking them questions...we boat people LOVE to talk at the dock - in fact there are many times I don''t even make it to my car to go to the store!I am waylaid on the way. The liveaboards at your marina will have more specific answers to your questions-
As I look at your post I think you are realy asking much different questions...and those are.. AM I INSANE!!!!????AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING?????!!!!WHAT THE H-- AM I DOING?????
No one has those answers but you...however something that I feel is this...I did not want to be 90 years old and wonder what it would have been like if I had done it...
Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.