Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Extreme Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
They are not allowed to manufacture them anymore but there are a few years worth in the pipeline. I think though that a incandescent light bulb is way to fragile and short lived for me to use as a source of heat to keep a seacock warm, a golden rod type of heating element would be more reliable. Though we did once use them for heat in an outdoor cat's house during the winter. I don't think she (the cat) cared much if it worked or not, but the snow sure melted off the top of it.

Winterizing it just makes more sense, along with keeping cabinet doors in front of them open to keep warm air circulating around them.
I beilve decorative bulb and special purpose bulbs (CF and LED won't work in the oven or fridge) are exempt.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2014

lightfoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post

These are outlawed for closet use because of fires.

Closet Lights – New Rules for Closet Lights

"Surface-mounted or recessed fixtures are both permitted, but exposed (uncovered) light bulbs are not. "

Has anyone ever had a hot bulb get wet? I have and they shatter before the element sparks/burns out. All it would take is one drop of condensation and some combustible bilge fumes.
Good references DeltaT. I never said the things people do are right, or safe, and your post reinforces that.

I personally saw an Islander 36 explode about 400 feet from me once. Not a pretty sight as the entire deck & coach house blew clear off the boat.
Old 02-05-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Hi wattage, low wattage, specialty, halogen, many types of filament bulbs are still available and being manufactured.

But if you want to keep something warm, look for "heat tape" in the plumbing section. Or for infrared heat lamps (typically reflector spot type) in the store. The heat tape is designed to keep pipes from freezing up and there's no filament to burn out.

Incandescent bulbs are (were) cheap and convenient, but there are better ways to generate heat.
Old 02-05-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

+1 on the heat tape being safe. I bought one not to long ago and it had a GFI on the plug.
Old 02-05-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Hi wattage, low wattage, specialty, halogen, many types of filament bulbs are still available and being manufactured.

But if you want to keep something warm, look for "heat tape" in the plumbing section. Or for infrared heat lamps (typically reflector spot type) in the store. The heat tape is designed to keep pipes from freezing up and there's no filament to burn out.

Incandescent bulbs are (were) cheap and convenient, but there are better ways to generate heat.
Question on the Heat Tape:

How much heat can they take without burning up or becoming ruined.

I'm asking because I'm curious if heat tape can be wrapped around engine parts as well as through hulls.
Old 02-05-2014

It can be used on engine piping, manufacture says up to 1-1/2" pipe. I would take that to mean with the low heat output, the heat will not penetrate very far. I would use armiflex insulation over heat tape wires and item being heated. http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en-...csheet_web.pdfhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZm1v12oJJM

"How much heat can they take without burning up or becoming ruined."
Sorry I do not understand this question? How much heat can what take?

Sorry, I was mistaken that the heat tape I purchased has a GFI plug. It does not, but the heat tape does need to be plugged into a grounded GFI circuit.

Last edited by Delta-T; 02-05-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post

"How much heat can they take without burning up or becoming ruined."
Sorry I do not understand this question? How much heat can what take?
The heat tape... Can you wrap the heat tape around areas of the Engine that reach high temps.
Old 02-05-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Engine parts can reach extremely high temperatures, well above 100C on the exhaust manifold, and heat tape is not designed for anything near that. You'd have to contact the individual manufacturer to find out how much heat any product can withstand, but I wouldn't pout them on anything that you couldn't lay your palm on.
Old 02-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson796 View Post
The heat tape... Can you wrap the heat tape around areas of the Engine that reach high temps.
Like the exhaust? And leave the heat tape on when running the engine? I would say it depends on the type of heat tape and if you can hold onto the item with your hand with the engine running, it will be fine.

Are you talking about your heat exchanger that froze on you? Yes, on that would work great!
Pearson796 likes this.
Old 02-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Engine parts can reach extremely high temperatures, well above 100C on the exhaust manifold, and heat tape is not designed for anything near that. You'd have to contact the individual manufacturer to find out how much heat any product can withstand, but I wouldn't pout them on anything that you couldn't lay your palm on.
100C is not a problem for heat tape. Heat tape, depending on the type, working temps. ranges from 150 to 450 F and the jacket will do twice that. This can be an issue with plastic pipes. My wet exhaust hose is rated for 250 F.