Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014

Torch is on a distinguished road
Re: Extreme Cold

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Glad I'm on the Texas coast.
smackdaddy likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson796 View Post
...Even with the heat on last night, we woke up to ice on the port holes in the vberth this morning.
Do yourself/boat a favor. Get to the local hardware store or UPS store and buy yourself a roll of clear bubble wrap. Cut lengths to size and fit them over your ports/hatch covers. They will admit light but insulate the ports and reduce/eliminate condensate accumulations. You'll be glad you did.

FWIW...
sidney777 and Pearson796 like this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
Pearson796 (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

3yrs ago I bought that -Bubble- insulation at Walmart in Murray,Ky in the weather strip dept. Also you might use that painters removable tape and tape the bubble wrap inside the boat , or Velcro in the sewing dept,(as I did in 9 degree weather in Kenlake marina).
.....For me, the Tarp was helpful, but ugly. Of course the inside bubble stuff was ugly. But you have even more cold than I did. I also used a Mr. Heater at times for a boost while awake with No carbon Monoxide readings. You could also plug in -two- shorepower
connections and buy another heater. **I did all of the above and shut the door to the front cabin & slept in the main cabin. (as you & wife know that humid cold is miserable)
Old 01-04-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
3yrs ago I bought that -Bubble- insulation at Walmart in Murray,Ky in the weather strip dept. Also you might use that painters removable tape and tape the bubble wrap inside the boat , or Velcro in the sewing dept,(as I did in 9 degree weather in Kenlake marina).
.....For me, the Tarp was helpful, but ugly. Of course the inside bubble stuff was ugly. But you have even more cold than I did. I also used a Mr. Heater at times for a boost while awake with No carbon Monoxide readings. You could also plug in -two- shorepower
connections and buy another heater. **I did all of the above and shut the door to the front cabin & slept in the main cabin. (as you & wife know that humid cold is miserable)

I wasn't sure whether to put the bubble wrap inside or out, so I did a mixture of both to see what worked best. Yeah, I know... Duct Tape.. But it is on the metal and not the hull and I have goo b gone stuff that is supposed to clean off the mess it's bound to make.

Yes, we have a Mr. Heater too and have never run it overnight due to the fear of waking up dead. They get expensive to run over time and opted for a radiant electric heater that works well on low.

jimgo likes this.
Old 01-04-2014

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

Looks like a Bear in hibernation. (nice pictures). Kenlake Resort short 15 min walk up hill to west. room rates in
Winter
(Dec 1, 2013 - Feb 27, 2014) $49.95 Sun to Sat. If you get cabin fever they have a
huge dining room. Does the marina still have a courtesy car so you can get food ?
MAST raising at Lighthouse marina 20 miles back toward Kentucky Dam.
Its an all sailboat marina ! How would they raise it at Kenlake ?

Last edited by sidney777; 01-04-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
Looks like a Bear in hibernation. (nice pictures). Kenlake Resort short 15 min walk up hill to west. room rates in
Winter
(Dec 1, 2013 - Feb 27, 2014) $49.95 Sun to Sat. If you get cabin fever they have a
huge dining room. Does the marina still have a courtesy car so you can get food ?
MAST raising at Lighthouse marina 20 miles back toward Kentucky Dam.
Its an all sailboat marina ! How would they raise it at Kenlake ?

I met a guy here who is very experienced with sailboats and knows how to use 2 sailboats to raise the mast on a 3rd. GTB wants a minimum of $150 to step the mast and Lighthouse Landing wants a Minimum of $180

Kenlake Marina kind of has a courtesy car, but not really. Knowing that I am going to be here for a few months, I went up to Illinois, on Jan 1st and got my Kia Sedona out of storage, got Kentucky insurance and have it here at the marina. We are taking showers at the Tennis Center.

I had a friend of mine pick up my van in Kenosha, WI where we put the boat in and take it back and store it for me at her house.

Like I have said many times, The crew here, Scott and Ben, have treated us golden. We really like it here. We were using their "courtesy car" several times a week for a month before we finally brought the van down.
Old 01-05-2014

hydrodog is on a distinguished road

Got a small 1.8 kw generator ... air cooled .... exhaust piped outside. ... supplies all lites and will run my 1500 watt heater... have the bedroom insulated.... boat is in Maine where it gets mighty cold. .... Its livable !
Old 01-05-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I think you can add more plastic . That bubble wrap idea was excellent !
Good time to visit the public library ? They will have movies internet and such. Monday It will be ugly. I can adjust my attitude if I set a time goal and havea mission or chore to do. Post a massive amount ? volunteer ? Think about a visit to some of the caves in that half of the state. If you get a room. Corvette museum and factory is in Bowling Green. A drive will cost you $ but you will be warm. Just hear this ...after you spend time out in the cold your body will say SLEEP when you get warm. Sleep, Drive ,Die ! If you take a drive pick a destination get a room make it a holiday?
I work outside as a pipefitter. For me and most of the other trades that are outside, a winter diet changes to more meat ,chilly beans, Bean soup, you just start to crave food like that. Most of the folks have no idea they change what they eat they just do. Its not just because something hot taste good .You body needs change. Chilly cook off in the summer ?.. no thanks it is time for a cool salad.
I can feel some for you, Lou
Old 01-05-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

How about the folks from Canada . How do they make a go of it ? I was expecting a few more hard core polar sailors to chime in.
You could read about Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton King of the cold and sailor to the max !!!
good day, Lou
Old 01-06-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Rhapsody, but a heat pump - cool in summer, great heat source in the winter. Mine is a 17,000 BTU monster that really puts out the heat and cool air, but only draws about 15 amps. No condensation, constant circulation of air, and perfect climate control with just the touch of a thermostat. The price has really come down on these systems over the years - think about it.

Gary