Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road
Re: Extreme Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
I am so interested because you are doing this now and coping. You say you have sweaters so I will make an assumption that you did not have high $ high tech gear. Could you show the heaters ? You proved how to improvise adapt and overcome a difficulty.
How does your 1st mate feel. What is the crews the attitude.
I did stay a night out in a pup tent with only a candle in north west PA. during Jan winter 77-78. Not sure of the exact temp but it was negative no wind. It was a thing for a young person to prove. I am older now. I would not think of doing it ever again. I do not think I slept and I hiked out at daybreak. I believe I can tolerate heat better than cold if I have water to drink
I do not think my wife is ready for this much but she can be tougher than me at times.
Regards , Lou
The last house we lived in for two years was a very old house and about as drafty as you can imagine. We had to have the heat running non-stop and cranked up to 80 in order to keep it 60 in the house during those cold upper midwest winters. I could not get warm in that house. Prior to that it was a drafty motor home for 5 years.

So, that is one thing that a sailboat, that floats, has... It's pretty sealed up with no draft. Once we covered the companionway hatch with a thin $2.88 blanket from Wally World, it wasn't hard to deal with.

I've already put the Mr. Buddy propane heater away, but the picture I've posted is the heater we use when we have electric.

Extreme Cold-heater.jpg

We don't have any fancy cold weather gear. As a matter of fact, most of our cold weather gear is in storage because we had planned to be in Florida before it got cold.

I supposed that if a person is determined, they can do anything. It's not that bad. The bad part is when my wife opens the hatch to suck on a cancer stick and all the heat goes out and it takes 10 minutes to warm things back up again.

We have woken up more than once and have had the blanket edges frozen to the interior wall of the hull in the V-berth. We were warm and dry, but not so much on the wall.

Here is pic I found on the internet of the propane heater we use. I have a 10 hose I bought at Camping World that goes from the propane tank through the companionway hatch and into the cabin. The propane tank sits on deck in such a way that if there is a leak, it will "drain" off the side of the boat.

Extreme Cold-mr-heater-portable-buddy-1.jpg
sidney777 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2014
Captn D

Halberdier is on a distinguished road

I prefer a compact oil filled radiator. There's no exposed heating elements and much less danger of a fire.

Downside:
They take longer to heat up and the heat is not directed like a heater with exposed electric elements.
Even though the heating element is not exposed, these cannot be used with explosive vapours as I see flash when the thermostat clicks on or off.
Old 01-11-2014

I agree with your observation of the oil radiator. We've had one before and they absolutely do not work in a drafty space. We didn't get one this time because we need quick intense heat for after we have to open the hatch.

I did discover some damage from the extreme cold.

Both caps to my heat exchanger have to be replaced. Fortunately it's a cheap fix. Ice was in there and froze them out bending the caps. I flattened them back out, but the gaskets are shot. I determined I'm just going to replace the whole 3 piece assembly.

Fortunately my impeller isn't bad. There is lots of pressure to the water. If I had more experience in boating, I would have shut off my water intake and ran the water out of the exhaust. I have an closed cooling system, so the engine itself was not damaged by the freeze, just the ends for the heat exchanger.
Old 01-11-2014

lightfoot is on a distinguished road

all the solid fuel heaters seem to work best with those little charcoal bricketts, not wood.
Old 01-29-2014

Well, I got the heat exchanger end caps today for half the price I saw them selling for on several site.

If it wasn't so cold out, I'd replace them today. But the have to get out in a cockpit to do one side of the engine.

It supposed to warm up over the next few days, so I'll place them then.

I'll post pics of the old ones when I'm done.

Extreme Cold-heat.jpg
Old 01-29-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I wonder, if it would be worthwhile to find a local machine shop and have them drill the new end caps and press fit standard freeze plugs into them? Just in case there's a "next time". Should be a fairly simple job, assuming you can find a machine shop these days.
Old 01-29-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

769 you are the man ! Two full rounds of this cold. My hat is off to you. Take care.
We saw some Robins before all this cold. Guess they are not happy birds.
Kind regards , Lou
Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I wonder, if it would be worthwhile to find a local machine shop and have them drill the new end caps and press fit standard freeze plugs into them? Just in case there's a "next time". Should be a fairly simple job, assuming you can find a machine shop these days.

The ends are relatively soft and it calls for only 2ftp of torque. I don't think a freeze plug would work. The main engine has freeze plugs, but I think these ends are a type of freeze plug the way I saw them react when getting frozen.

Nice idea though.
Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
769 you are the man ! Two full rounds of this cold. My hat is off to you. Take care.
We saw some Robins before all this cold. Guess they are not happy birds.
Kind regards , Lou
Well, fortunately these snaps only last a couple days before we get to see 40's again.
Old 01-30-2014

HEXE is on a distinguished road

I find anything other than a propane cookstove scary....
a coupe of years ago i ditched my stinky dickinson pacific and went with electric space heaters. Not a problem if I am hooked up to shorepower.
Does me no good if i am out and about

The electric heat did nothing for condensation really, i was having major issues with keeping enough air moving. to the point i would even hesitate making coffee. for fear of STEAM! you just back away from that rice cooker mate.

I went through alot of heaters... some died some i just didnt like.
the one i found the best was the vornado and the little ceramic heater made by holmes "not the plastic one the metal one" . they are compact and pump out lots of warm air.... the oil filled one i found worked ok if i put a box fan behind it.. but that is alot of space on a 30 foot boat.

This winter i got me a wallas dt30, its a little bigger than a breadbox and it works great "so far"... condensation is a thing of the past. I burn about a gallon of diesel a
day when its 30f out and around 2 gallons when its 0...

i have no insulation to speak of. some of that mylar bubble wrap in my cabinets and in
the v-berth.
i make cover every winter with pvc pipe frame and cover it with reinforced plastic, it saves that shoveling hassel, waking up to 2 feet of snow in your cockpit sux.

it will hold up to gale force winds with no problem... 60mph+ long drawn out gusts are common here in southeast alaska on a weekly basis. it feels that way sometimes...
the major disadvantage is that i am like robby benson "the boy in the plastic boat bubble" and chained to the dock all winter.. some of the best sailing days are anytime of year.
i have a plan to fix this problem in the coming year

this year is nice, warm and rainy around 35f with lows at night around 25... I can't imagine how those down south must
feel being tossed into the deep freeze out of nowhere.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.